Newcastle United 4-0 Aston Villa (29/10/2022)

Yorkie

29 minutes ago, TotalWar said:

The appalling swearing by blokes isnt going to help it  The venomous shouts of c..t that is regularly heard, often with no reason at all, is a disgrace. My wife gets a bit upset about it.

I can think of another public entertainment gathering where this would happen..

I took my mother in law to a game as she’d never been and really fancied it.

Once and never again, blokes behind turned up 10 mins late one of them so mortal he fell off his seat and onto her. It didn’t bother me but it’s all she talks about if you mention the game she went to.

The whole stigma around swearing is a bit sexist, why would it/should it offend women more than men, it harks back to the notion that women are delicate little flowers who should be exposed to it

For all that though (swearing etc)... it looked to me like there were far more than the usual amount of women at the game.

As for the swearing, I live in Australia and the young women are far swearier than the chaps these days. I accidentally cut in front of a 20 year old not so long ago and she shouted: "I've got one, you are one!"

It still irks me thinking about the time I was calling Howard Webb a cunt and the old bloke in front of me randomly started having a go at me for it and saying it offended his wife. Without even thinking about it I apologised and it still annoys me that I didn't tell him and his wife to fuck off. 

One of those situations you think about in the shower and wish you could re-do. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

Prefer NUFC not to be like an England friendly.

Football can absolutely be a place for women but it shouldn't change because women go to the game.

It's rough, it's smelly, it's got people swearing, chanting, taking the piss and drinking copious amounts of beer. That's why I love it.

You will hear/see nothing at a football match that you wouldn't also see past 9pm at your local pub or club.

Don't treat football like "any other entertainment event", its not the cricket or the rugby or an Ed Sheeran gig. Its football, and its mint.

11 minutes ago, TotalWar said:

I wonder if the club’s owners and management hold the same view as ponsaelius and 1964.

Ive been going to watch Newcastle since 1980, and know only too well what the crowds used to be like, not safe or appropriate to go to for anyone who has more delicate sensibilities. Indeed I reckon their were barely more than 20 females on the terraces at SJP in the early 80s. However those days have thankfully long gone. It should be a safe, and welcoming environment for everyone. 
My wife had never attended an NUFC match in her life, having moved here recently, I am very keen to show her the very best of the city and region, I am proud of NUFC. Then there are mindless individuals who decide to tell Dan Burn that he’s a f.cking useless c..t after two minutes of the match, and then they and others continue to do this all match. Its very poor in an environment which is supposed to be inclusive and welcoming.

My wife isnt a delicate wall flower, she teaches in a high school, but we know where it is and isn't acceptable to swear.

I note that there was a question or two about swearing on the recent club survey, so obviously the club is bothered by this.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you I was just commenting on the perhaps widely shared, notion that women are more offended than men by foul language.

That might be true I just wonder why, is it historic/expected or perhaps it's because the worst swear words are referencing female body parts 

5 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

It still irks me thinking about the time I was calling Howard Webb a cunt and the old bloke in front of me randomly started having a go at me for it and saying it offended his wife. Without even thinking about it I apologised and it still annoys me that I didn't tell him and his wife to fuck off. 

Cheeky wank?

I swear like a fuckin trooper tbh, and I'm fucked if I'm not gona call Anthony Fuckin Gordon a cunt for flouncing about like a cheating cunt trying to win a pel.

I do get carried away at times, but even when I take the bairn, I've explained she will hear swearing and she's not to repeat it, wouldn't dream of complaining to those around me for it, it's an emotional place and people vent. 

1 minute ago, STM said:

I don't get the idea of being offended by something not directed at you anyway. How does that even work?

I suppose it's how you define offended, you can still be rightly disgusted at something that isn't directed at you like sexual offences or indeed bombing innocent civilians...... tin hat on [emoji38]

4 minutes ago, STM said:

I don't get the idea of being offended by something not directed at you anyway. How does that even work?

You apply this logic to racial epithets?

I don't necessarily think football should be an inclusive and welcoming place.

Probably the best thing would be to have stadium segmentation e.g. a genuinely enforced family area. Maybe in the Leazes while the Gallowgate is a gloves off standing zone, for example.

I hate the idea of swearing and hostile conduct being eliminated from football. I also consider it cultural theft.

Edited by 80

17 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

You're worried about our crest's appearance excluding the blind and also think a woman shouldn't mind you comparing Howard Webb with the contents of her knickers :lol:

I think it's not so much the swear words themselves as it is the aggression and ferocity with which they're delivered, that might ultimately be construed as intimidating or offensive. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with being aggressive and ferocious at the match; just saying I can see why someone not fully initiated in the environment of a live football match might feel uncomfortable (gender shouldn't necessarily come into it but then again live football is aggressive/ferocious male-dominated).

Like KI's example, I doubt he'd have got a tongue-lashing from the fella in front had it been a more reserved and resigned "fucking cunt" delivered at normal speaking volume; as opposed to the primal, frothing detonation of "YA FUCKING CUNT!! Etc etc etc!" which I'm imagining.* In which case just acknowledging the person's discomfort with a quick 'sorry' was definitely the best course of action, even if it's a case of more-fool-them for coming to the footy and not expecting hostility. 

*assumption based on my own behaviour

15 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

It's 2022.

Anyone who can't modify their language in public, especially in front of woman and kids, is intellectually stunted. 

Even worse if they can but chose not too. 

It's 2022.

Anyone who's offended by 'swear words' is...

Very easy to spin both ways.

15 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

It's 2022.

Anyone who can't modify their language in public, especially in front of woman and kids, is intellectually stunted. 

Even worse if they can but chose not too. 

Scientists have evidence that swearing is in fact a sign of intelligence and erudition 

A study by psychologists from Marist College found links between how fluent a person is in the English language and how fluent they are in swearing.

44 minutes ago, Wilson said:

I swear like a fuckin trooper tbh, and I'm fucked if I'm not gona call Anthony Fuckin Gordon a cunt for flouncing about like a cheating cunt trying to win a pel.

I do get carried away at times, but even when I take the bairn, I've explained she will hear swearing and she's not to repeat it, wouldn't dream of complaining to those around me for it, it's an emotional place and people vent. 

Aye, the only time I'd try and tone it down would be if there were loads of kids about but even when I sat in the old family enclosure as a kid you'd get plenty of swearing.

One of my favourite things about football is when you get a little pocket of fans on a usually sedate touchline all up and screaming for a decision that happens right in front of them. 

I moderate my language depending on who I'm with and where I am as anybody would. I tend not to use the C word much at all. However I think going to a football match and being upset or offended by bad language is absolutely pathetic like, sorry. They're just words ffs.

Tbf I grew up in a household where hearing my parents swear was completely normal - so hearing it at football was a complete non-event to me. 

33 minutes ago, 80 said:

You're worried about our crest's appearance excluding the blind and also think a woman shouldn't mind you comparing Howard Webb with the contents of her knickers :lol:

I don't get the connection? :lol: We have a family section so that people who don't like naughty words aren't excluded. 

8 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I don't get the connection? :lol: We have a family section so that people who don't like naughty words aren't excluded. 

The family section as it stands isn't much of a family section... There's plenty of naughty language there, if that's the concern. It's also in a relatively crap part of the ground if you want to see other aspects of the game.

Just find it ironic that a woman feeling excluded from 90% of a ground because it's a passionate sport isn't a problem, but the blind feeling excluded from the finer points of a visual depiction is!