Still still not worthy of a thread

gbandit

On 29/12/2023 at 04:54, joeyt said:

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/best-football-goals-ranked?utm_source=pocket-newtab-en-gb

GQ's Top 20 goals of all time. Papiss in 8th. Bergkamp in 7th

It’s a weird list.  Most of the goals are from the c21st.

Carlos Alberto’s goal not being in the top  three just shows that whoever made the list doesn’t appreciate great football.  Even the blurb doesn’t mention what makes it truly great - every single Brazilian outfield player touched the ball before the goal is scored.  In a WC Final.  It’s perfection.

At least van Basten’s volley is in there.  

3 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Zidane was overrated?  Like all the very best players, he did it when it mattered most. 

Like when he headbutted Masseratti?

Even taking the point, even if he was a big game player, he's still always elevated above those who did it when it most mattered and did it when it wasn't as do or die e.g Iniesta, Modric

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

Like when he headbutted Masseratti?

Even taking the point, even if he was a big game player, he's still always elevated above those who did it when it most mattered and did it when it wasn't as do or die e.g Iniesta, Modric

The headbutt doesn’t change the course of the final, of course.  Though it wasn’t exactly a good idea :)

He does get elevated, you’re right - and I wouldn’t elevate him above Iniesta, personally.  But in terms of his era, he was absolutely the best midfielder around, and for a spell probably was the best player on Earth. 

On 19/12/2023 at 17:39, Guybrush said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67759565

Can't agree with any of Wengers points here, particularly while observing our current injury crisis.

From a business perspective, another competition expansion does nothing but dilute the brand, squeeze your top assets, and reduce the quality of the product.

From a human perspective you're running players into the ground, with much more chance for injury and fatigue. 

If the powers that be want more football to sell, elevate the women's game and get the lower national leagues on TV more. People would watch it.

In conclusion, WENGER OUT.

He’s talking about making the game more global and strengthening other confederations and you’re talking about women’s football. 

I really liked this tournament on FM20 but none of my players were ever match fit for it. This is a luxury problem I won’t concern myself with in real life. 

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

The headbutt doesn’t change the course of the final, of course.  Though it wasn’t exactly a good idea :)

He does get elevated, you’re right - and I wouldn’t elevate him above Iniesta, personally.  But in terms of his era, he was absolutely the best midfielder around, and for a spell probably was the best player on Earth. 

No disputing that, it's just the bit about him being elevated above others that for me makes him overrated in the all time stakes, despite still being brilliant.

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

No disputing that, it's just the bit about him being elevated above others that for me makes him overrated in the all time stakes, despite still being brilliant.

Yeah, definitely see where you’re coming from on that.  If you’re making a list of top ten greatest midfielders of all time, he’s in there for me.  But he’s not a Pelé / Maradona / Messi level player, for me at least.  

Football hipsters love downplaying Zidane. He was a handsome lad with a horrible haircut and he made the game game look beautiful. Elegance.  Keep your pale Spaniards. 

Someone is falling a weak footed volley with the ball looped in behind him over rated? It was a thing of absolute beauty on the biggest stage. 

i might prefer it to Bale’s overhead kick as the best CL goal of all time.  Bale’s is remarkable athleticism and skill… but you feel all overhead kicks have a rather high element of luck involved. Although that’s one of the best ever. 

35 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

He’s talking about making the game more global and strengthening other confederations and you’re talking about women’s football. 

I really liked this tournament on FM20 but none of my players were ever match fit for it. This is a luxury problem I won’t concern myself with in real life. 

I mean, Women's football was just one example [emoji38]. You could just as easily replace that suggestion with "elevate other confederations competitions" if the intention is to truly strengthen other confederations.

But I doubt that's the intention. It just seems like another way to squeeze some more televised games from their European cash cow to the detriment of player health and overall quality of the product.

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

Someone is falling a weak footed volley with the ball looped in behind him over rated? It was a thing of absolute beauty on the biggest stage. 

i might prefer it to Bale’s overhead kick as the best CL goal of all time.  Bale’s is remarkable athleticism and skill… but you feel all overhead kicks have a rather high element of luck involved. Although that’s one of the best ever. 

I also think it’s the better goal for the reasons you’ve outlined - each to their own, though.