The Round of 16

1 hour ago, 54 said:

I legitimately thought Argentina where decent, and controlled the game throughout and deservedly went through, certainly think they could be there at the end of the thing.

I agree. They've won the last 3 games with relative ease, scoring 6 and conceding one freak goal.

For the first time ever the system (be it 4-3-3 or the 3-5-2) is built around Messi. It's just a shame that so much of his peak powers was wasted by chaotic management from the likes of Maradona and Sampaoli. 

Don't think they'll convincingly beat anybody but I think they'd make every game a scrap and have a chance.

Edited by ponsaelius

1 minute ago, Pata said:

Messi and Di Maria are old but still good. Otamendi too but I don't think it matters, he's still the same.

Australia scored with a shot that would've been 20 yards wide and high and got few chances from loose balls and and one once-in-a-lifetime run while Argies missed a sitter after sitter. Argies the favourites against Netherlands imo.

Messi is the greatest player of all time, and while he clearly isn’t the same player as he was in his prime (who is?), he’s still one of the world’s best footballers.  Di Maria and Otamendi are past it for me though.

The Argentinians missing those sitters is part of the issue - a good side doesn’t give them those chances. 

3 hours ago, Kanji said:

@Unbelievablecongrats bro, outclassed by a fucking ruthless side with far more talent where it mattered.

Thanks mate. We are far from pleasing on the eye or dominant, but pretty ruthless as you say. Shame for you guys, wasn’t your best game sadly. Here’s hoping we can put away Messi and co in the next round. 

The draw is so exciting, like. Both halves of it have potential upsets and mouth-watering latter stages. There's no better side to be in. 

Enjoying the fuck out of the tournament now, like. There was some absolute crap in week 1 but it's wall-to-wall drama from here on in. 

2 minutes ago, Disco said:

De Paul was absolutely class today btw. Bit of a try hard Henderson type but worth his weight today.

He was better on the ball today

In the other games he was poor on the ball but he covers so much ground he's a key part of the team

9 minutes ago, NEEJ said:

Just a hint of salt in the air. :lol:

Not really. Players actually tried to cancel the tournament and were arguing in refusing to play. Were basically forced to play without crowds as well. 

8 minutes ago, midds said:

I think if England don't win it I'd quite like Argentina to win to tbh. Would be lush for Messi to close his career by lifting it.

Not sure they will as Brazil look better but they're 3 wins away and I think there's enough talent there to win it. 

Yeah, agree. For my absolute shame I haven't seen anywhere near enough of Messi in his career; outside of international tournaments I could probably only count on two hands. So it's a real thrill seeing him still smashing it and potentially going out in style on the international stage. 

5 minutes ago, Disco said:

De Paul was absolutely class today btw. Bit of a try hard Henderson type but worth his weight today.

Thought he was shit personally. Misplaced so so many passes, and only showed up in the last 10-15 when the game became a fight. Also, Lisandro Martinez might be better than Romero as well.

2 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

He was better on the ball today

In the other games he was poor on the ball but he covers so much ground he's a key part of the team

Hadn't really seen much of him before the knockouts of last Copa America but I thought he would end up a superstar and €35m looked like a steal. Seems like Simeone has suffocated all the ability he had with the ball.

3 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

De Paul for Udinese was a silky playmaker. Now he looks like a scrapper. It's very odd. That said he's much better than some of the other CMs Argentina have had in previous years.

Was really good at the Copa America last year. Had had a terrible WC this far, but no idea what’s happening to Argentina right now. 

Don't think either of those sides were good. Australia obviously fair enough but Argentina aren't much above average if they even are. And they're not battle tested in their last two games. There for the taking for the Dutch I feel but Van Gaal will try and reinvent the wheel no doubt.

Wouldn't begrudge them because of their fans.

Edited by Wolfcastle

25 minutes ago, aussiemag said:

Proud of Australia. We pushed a tournament favourite to the last minute. We were never going to dominate possession or create a heap of chances. Our team is full of championship, A-league and SPL players. And yes, I nearly died when Garang had that chance.  

Used to be an irritant in other sports but you lads just don't leave regrets on the field when it comes to application. Grown to admire it.

Just now, aussiemag said:

I would fancy the Dutch to beat Argentina on tonights performances. Without Messi and a massive fuck up by Mat Ryan, the Argentines didnt threaten the Aussie goal too much. 

Lautaro Martinez alone missed 3 sitters and he was on about 10 minutes.

1 minute ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

At that stage Australia were pushing forward and if you give Messi space you'll concede chances

Exactly. Souttar was playing up front. Australia were playing with one centre back at that stage. Argentina were not great in that match. 

4 minutes ago, Pata said:

I don't really get the 'Argentina were average' comments. They were cruising to a 2-0 win until the freak goal and even after that had the much better chances.

Exactly.

Biggest problem for Arg was lack of pressing and intensity without Di Maria, and that allowed comfort for the Aussie defence. But once they brought in the extra CB it allowed the midfielders and wing backs to push on and they looked like they were going to cruise to a win to me. Was only a total freak goal which made things interesting in any way.

Very few teams have won games convincingly in this World Cup against any sides. I thought this was pretty comfortable.