Reflections

Yorkie

7 minutes ago, Shak said:

We're about 10 years away from our massive Brazilian population starting to pay off, I predict.

We'll see who's laughing then.

Been told Dublin is basically Brazilian now. Is that right?

1 hour ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

Plus Copa America will be on at the same time, right?

Yes, well you never know with Conmebol, might decide to host two of them in the same summer.

Edited by Flip

5 hours ago, Kaizero said:

Barely got to watch a single match, as did most others I knew. No mass viewing parties outside, everybody working or otherwise busy. Not saying it wasn't great for you but for me it was the exact opposite :dontknow:

Same. I only saw about 15 total matches start to finish. That might’ve just been down to the time the matches were on. Although everyone was also busy at work trying to wrap things up for the end of the year too. Which meant a lot of my buddies were stuck at their offices/working from home so no going out to the bars with the boys to catch the matches.

2 hours ago, Flip said:

Been told Dublin is basically Brazilian now. Is that right?

Aye Dublin in particular has a huge Brazilian population but any of the cities and bigger towns you'll find a pretty decent amount of them.

Small town about 15 minutes from me called Gort was where it all started about 15 years ago, a few guys came over from a meat factory in Brazil that closed down to work for the guy who owned another factory here. They did quite well and more followed. Town only has three or four thousand people but I think to this day nearly half of them are Brazilian, at one point I believe the population there was over 50% Brazilian.

One funny side effect was the local soccer team's sudden upturn in fortunes after dozens of Brazilian lads in their 20s started to live there. The image of a bunch of hungover Irish lads showing up to the Sunday league to be unexpectedly faced with a team of Brazilians representing a little farm town in the west of Ireland always gets me :lol:

50 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

That won’t be an issue at the next one, obviously. Best World Cup ever incoming. :coolsmiley:

God I hope Tina Turner is still alive and they give her a chance at redemption from the penalty spot in the opening ceremony.

Like, if that's at all possible they better do it.

At first I had 0 excitement for this cup (because the circumstances around it + how great NUFCs season has gone thus far) but I really came into and loved it. I was able to see every match live, in full, and if I missed any action I was able to catch up quickly without spoilers. Just loved that. Great memories and goals all around. Happy with the outcome and Messi getting to his lift his cup + and our players are back injury free and hopefully we keep the good times rolling. 

On 20/12/2022 at 03:09, Kanji said:

At first I had 0 excitement for this cup (because the circumstances around it + how great NUFCs season has gone thus far) but I really came into and loved it. I was able to see every match live, in full, and if I missed any action I was able to catch up quickly without spoilers. Just loved that. Great memories and goals all around. Happy with the outcome and Messi getting to his lift his cup + and our players are back injury free and hopefully we keep the good times rolling. 

I’m with you bro. This was a good World Cup. I was always excited because of Messi’s last dance and I knew deep down I would tune out all the off-field stuff because it’s the World Cup after all. 

As I said in another thread, I hope this winter World Cup thing sticks. Out of deference to the best football teams in the world who are all used to and can host summer world cups, maybe we can start with a 3:1 or 4:1 ratio of summer:winter world cups. A winter World Cup every 20 years, hosted by countries like those in Southeast Asia or Saudi Arabia or Egypt. To a European it might not sound appealing, I know :lol: but we’re football mad in Southeast Asia and a winter World Cup would be perfect. To get the TV audience, it would be night games, the weather would be 23-29 degrees, no rain. Everyone plays sports either early morning or at night anyway, it’s too hot from 11am-4pm. I’m sure it’s the same in the African and Middle Eastern countries. I know people would scoff at Saudis hosting but they’re also football mad. Can’t judge a country by its monarchy. 

23 hours ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

Portugal your team?

What's the feeling on Ronaldo in Portugal? Want him to call it a day and thank him for all he's done or keep going?

The country is divided about this subject, and in many different dimensions:

Benfica fans x Sporting fans

Eusébio x Ronaldo as the all time great

People that don't give a shit about football and only care for Ronaldo x People that actually care for football

Personally, I am thankful to Ronaldo, but I think he must go. I miss when our NT was actually the Portugal team, and not the CR7 team. I miss when we didn't have clueless people advocating that he should be in the XI forever because of "gratitude". I miss when people that don't give a shit about football where not lecturing me about football. I miss when the air was not constantly polluted by his sisters, or wife, or Piers, constantly calling everyone an "ungrateful bastard". I miss when it was about Portugal winning, rather than CR7 beating Eusébio's or whatever record is next.

We had a CR7 bootlicker on live TV, after the Switzerland match, saying he'd rather have Ronaldo in the XI and having lost against Switzerland. He literally said this.

I think that deep down CR7 is a good guy - apart from his ego. But the amount of leeches around him - probably feeding him constantly with the "you're still the best" BS - made everything about this guy unbearable at this point. It's like a cult.

In a way I feel sorry for the guy, but something tells me he wants to go all the way into 2026.

Edited by TenkoDaLuz

Honestly don't think we had a bad World Cup. Had chances to win it at 1-1, could have equalized, but failed. Fine margins at the end. Kind of hope Chelsea sack Potter and he gets the job over Gareth. Could be a sliding doors moment if we let Gareth stay in charge while all of the best replacements are available. Kind of like Man Utd not sacking Ole to go all in for Pochettino. 

Thoroughly enjoyed it up until we got binned. 

Notwithstanding it should never have gone there and, once it had, should never have been moved to winter I quite liked watching matches in front of the log burner ❄️❄️❄️

Overriding thought is how big a cunt Infantino is tho, unbelievably, not as big a cunt as that Salt Bae fella. Wtf was all that about 😂

Edited by Groundhog63

Best/Favourite match: In future, the Final will probably be looked at as the match of our lifetime

Best/Favourite goal: Nothing particularly stands out, maybe the Chavez free kick

Best/Favourite player: Messi

Best/Favourite moment for your team: Winning the World Cup

Best/Favourite 'other' moment: All those Lukaku misses in quick succession

Worst/Least favourite moment/anything: Having to write about it for work took away some of the joy, to be honest. Stress, deadlines, taking up weekends etc. Found a lot of the early weeks mind-numbingly boring too.