The Europeometer™ (2023/24)

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

625 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

I am feeling very positively currently. I think we will have lots of ups and downs still, because this time 12 months ago, we were 17th and stinking of relegation, and these things take time.

However. The 5-1 at your place was a freak result for us. We went to pieces when we saw Mings go off on oxygen, a few days after Buendia did the same. End of the day, though, it's just one game. 

We have also been without Moreno and Ramsey (till last week) since last season - our entire first choice left side - and Mings and Buendia, big, big players for us.

Despite all that, we are 5th, and our games so far have included you, Chelsea and Liverpool away, not easy fixtures. Winning 5 out of 7 league games despite all the above, and despite not really playing near our best so far is pretty fucking impressive. We've taken more points in 2023 than anyone except Manchester City and Arsenal (who have taken the same). We have won 10 consecutive home league games.

Europe will make things tougher, but then again, there's a difference between facing matches against some team from Mostar and Alkmaar than there is Dortmund and PSG, so it shouldn't be too tough to manage, plus we've clearly opted out of the Carabou Cup.

I am not saying we'll do this or that, but I see an awful lot of people (not talking about here, but in general) not really paying attention to what we've done.

Edited by brummie

4 hours ago, brummie said:

I am feeling very positively currently. I think we will have lots of ups and downs still, because this time 12 months ago, we were 17th and stinking of relegation, and these things take time.

However. The 5-1 at your place was a freak result for us. We went to pieces when we saw Mings go off on oxygen, a few days after Buendia did the same. End of the day, though, it's just one game. 

We have also been without Moreno and Ramsey (till last week) since last season - our entire first choice left side - and Mings and Buendia, big, big players for us.

Despite all that, we are 5th, and our games so far have included you, Chelsea and Liverpool away, not easy fixtures. Winning 5 out of 7 league games despite all the above, and despite not really playing near our best so far is pretty fucking impressive. We've taken more points in 2023 than anyone except Manchester City and Arsenal (who have taken the same). We have won 10 consecutive home league games.

Europe will make things tougher, but then again, there's a difference between facing matches against some team from Mostar and Alkmaar than there is Dortmund and PSG, so it shouldn't be too tough to manage, plus we've clearly opted out of the Carabou Cup.

I am not saying we'll do this or that, but I see an awful lot of people (not talking about here, but in general) not really paying attention to what we've done.

demandingblinddwarfrabbit-max-1mb.gif

5 hours ago, brummie said:

I think just about everyone is paying attention to what you have done up to now.

You have a top class manager and some top players who have started to gel so nobody is going to think you are an easy touch in any game.

This league will be the toughest for years, I think.

I don't think any club is going to walk through it, even though Man city are always touted to do that.

I'll still take Newcastle to finish above Villa but then again I would say that.

Man Utd need to do something quickly or they risk getting cut adrift from the Champions League contenders, although a season out of the Champions League is hardly catastrophic for them if they don’t stick with ETH.

8 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

Man Utd need to do something quickly or they risk getting cut adrift from the Champions League contenders, although a season out of the Champions League is hardly catastrophic for them if they don’t stick with ETH.

It’s very early days still and they have a raft of injuries. I’m pretty sure they will be challenging for top five come end of the season. 

3 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

It’s very early days still and they have a raft of injuries. I’m pretty sure they will be challenging for top five come end of the season. 

Have they a raft of injuries? Their issue seems to be breaking teams down (only scored more than one league goal in a game once this season) and relied on Rashford to carry their attack last season, if he isn’t on form they struggle yet their injuries are at the back.

3 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

Have they a raft of injuries? Their issue seems to be breaking teams down (only scored more than one league goal in a game once this season) and relied on Rashford to carry their attack last season, if he isn’t on form they struggle yet their injuries are at the back.

@Froggy

Transfermarkt say they have six players injured, including Amad Diallo and Kobbie Mainoo in that.

Edit - The other four being Martínez, Shaw, Wan Bissaka and Malacia.

Edited by Matt1892

22 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

Transfermarkt say they have six players injured, including Amad Diallo and Kobbie Mainoo in that.

Edit - The other four being Martínez, Shaw, Wan Bissaka and Malacia.

Reguilon as well, so three left backs. But that's our injuries right now. You're also suggesting that's not a lot of injuries. That's our entire backline minus Varane, who's only back from injury himself a couple of weeks ago. :lol: Maguire has also been injured this season.

Sancho being a prat and Antony not available for selection, which left only Pellistri on the right. If Diallo wasn't injured he'd have been playing. Same goes for Mainoo. He was fantastic in pre-season and would have got chances when Mount got injured. We signed Amrabat for more depth in midfield, and he was also injured, and when he's been available he's had to play left back.

Hojlund signed, and looks great now he's finally fit, he was injured as well. :lol:

So far this season we've been missing the following players at various points for whatever reasons:

Hojlund

Amrabat

Malacia

Shaw

Reguilon

Martinez

Varane

Maguire

Wan Bissaka

Diallo

Mainoo

Mount

Lindelof

Antony

Sancho

Also had players like Martial who were injured in the summer and weren't fit at the start of the season. Feel free to include Greenwood if you want.

That's not to say the team's we're putting out aren't good enough to win these games. More than good enough to beat Palace and Galatasaray at home, but we've had a lot of bloody injuries. :lol:

Edited by Froggy

8 hours ago, brummie said:

I actually think most on here, at least, see Villa in the mix for CL. I said as much. I also said I rate yous higher than Brighton, who don't have as strong a defence IMO.

I'd certainly have you above Man Utd currently (they will be back) and right on our tails.

3 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Where’s Martial at longer term? Will be sold in January or the summer due to his body being a shipwreck? Such a shame how his career has panned out 

Can't afford to sell him as there's nobody else up top except Hojlund. Martial is a really good player when he's fit and his heads right. He's another jogger when things aren't going well though. 

Bags of ability and been one of the better performers lately. He really deserved to start over Rashford IMO. 

21 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Reguilon as well, so three left backs. But that's our injuries right now. You're also suggesting that's not a lot of injuries. That's our entire backline minus Varane, who's only back from injury himself a couple of weeks ago. :lol: Maguire has also been injured this season.

Sancho being a prat and Antony not available for selection, which left only Pellistri on the right. If Diallo wasn't injured he'd have been playing. Same goes for Mainoo. He was fantastic in pre-season and would have got chances when Mount got injured. We signed Amrabat for more depth in midfield, and he was also injured, and when he's been available he's had to play left back.

Hojlund signed, and looks great now he's finally fit, he was injured as well. :lol:

So far this season we've been missing the following players at various points for whatever reasons:

Hojlund

Amrabat

Malacia

Shaw

Reguilon

Martinez

Varane

Maguire

Wan Bissaka

Diallo

Mainoo

Mount

Lindelof

Antony

Sancho

Also had players like Martial who were injured in the summer and weren't fit at the start of the season. Feel free to include Greenwood if you want.

That's not to say the team's we're putting out aren't good enough to win these games. More than good enough to beat Palace and Galatasaray at home, but we've had a lot of bloody injuries. :lol:

There are a number of clubs that have suffered with injuries already this season, including ourselves and Chelsea.

There is an element of having to get on with it and as you say they teams you are putting out should be able to break down the opposition you are against; however if Rashford isn’t creating something from nothing then that is where you seem to struggle.

When I was looking at the players who have been injured for you this season I’m not seeing anyone who is a stand out that would completely change your attack, instead cogs in the machine in a similar way to Willock, Joelinton and Barnes are for us.

16 minutes ago, STM said:

I actually think most on here, at least, see Villa in the mix for CL. I said as much. I also said I rate yous higher than Brighton, who don't have as strong a defence IMO.

I'd certainly have you above Man Utd currently (they will be back) and right on our tails.

Villa would get more attention for what they are doing in the wider footballing community if Brighton were not seen as being more impressive, when considering budget, the size of the club and being a selling club.

What they need to do is prove they can do it over a whole season which is difficult both physically and mentally when the pressure is on.

27 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Where’s Martial at longer term? Will be sold in January or the summer due to his body being a shipwreck? Such a shame how his career has panned out 

Judging by the look on his bracket, when Ten Bob was bringing him on for the last 2 mins of regulation play, training with Sancho

I think with most big clubs momentum is everything, right now for Man Utd they are tumbling down a big hill and I'm not sure if Ten Hag survives.

We shouldn't be naive though, it can change very quickly. One change of manager, all of their big hitters back, a spring in their step and MU are one of the only sides in the league who can string together a long run of wins like Liverpool did last season.

From a long term perspective, Man United are a mess. When your infrastructure has been ignored to the extent where Old Traffords roof leaks, what else are the ownership neglecting? Scouting? Medical department? Training facilities? They are one of the biggest clubs in the world and they are falling behind.

You can understand how a club can get recruitment strategy wrong because its a matter of opinion and chemistry, there's no excuse for their lack competence on infrastructure issues and even though I'm no Man United fan, I am a fan of football and its great institutions. Seeing fans of any club being taken for mugs by their owners is no laughing matter (we should know), whatever end of the spectrum the club may be.

Short term they may or may not bounce back, long term, its more of the same for Man United because the glazers will keep pulling the rug from under them.

6 minutes ago, STM said:

I think with most big clubs momentum is everything, right now for Man Utd they are tumbling down a big hill and I'm not sure if Ten Hag survives.

We shouldn't be naive though, it can change very quickly. One change of manager, all of their big hitters back, a spring in their step and MU are one of the only sides in the league who can string together a long run of wins like Liverpool did last season.

From a long term perspective, Man United are a mess. When your infrastructure has been ignored to the extent where Old Traffords roof leaks, what else are the ownership neglecting? Scouting? Medical department? Training facilities? They are one of the biggest clubs in the world and they are falling behind.

You can understand how a club can get recruitment strategy wrong because its a matter of opinion and chemistry, there's no excuse for their lack competence on infrastructure issues and even though I'm no Man United fan, I am a fan of football and its great institutions. Seeing fans of any club being taken for mugs by their owners is no laughing matter (we should know), whatever end of the spectrum the club may be.

Short term they may or may not bounce back, long term, its more of the same for Man United because the glazers will keep pulling the rug from under them.

Meh Kinda GIF by Cultura

9 hours ago, brummie said:

Reminds me a bit of us last season + Europe.

I hope you go deep in the Conference League and lose some focus come April and May.

I hope we are close enough to the top places when we are out of Europe. If we are still in CL come April, it's a fantastic season.

4 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I hope you go deep in the Conference League and lose some focus come April and May.

I hope we are close enough to the top places when we are out of Europe. If we are still in CL come April, it's a fantastic season.

I was thinking more us from January 2022 until the end of the year, it was a great run but once we we built up enough wins so that relegation wasn’t a real concern then it was a free hit, so we could go out and enjoy the games with no pressure at all.

When you are having to hold on to something at the end of the season is when it really gets difficult, we seen that with ourselves and Arsenal that mentality it is tough.

31 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Put it this way, for two clubs like you and us, who have spent most of the previous decade largely stinking out the league and existing for the sake of existing, these are extraordinary times.