The Europeometer™ (2023/24) - permutations in O.P.

Rich

The TopFourometer™ (2023/24)  

615 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to finish top four this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

Just now, timeEd32 said:

Trying to diminish the club's only trophy half a century. You really know how to kick a board when it's down. [emoji38]

:lol: I'm genuinely sorry, it just blows my mind that I actually didn't know. I'm 50 and been a footy fan since the late 70s, essentially, and a pretty serious one. Feels like I should have known :lol:

8 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

This all made me think of something. I sort of knew the Fairs Cup format was weird and changed over time but never bothered to look up the details.

You probably all knew this already but Today I learned that Newcastle actually finished 10th the year they qualified for the 1968/69 Fairs Cup. Man City won the league, and so qualified for the European Cup. In theory the next four would go into the Fairs Cup. However, Man U also qualified for the European Cup because they won it that year. Then Everton in 5th weren't allowed in because they came from the same city as Liverpool in 3rd. Then Spurs in 7th weren't allowed in because we were from the same city as Chelsea in 6th - likewise Arsenal in 9th. Then West Brom in 8th won the FA Cup so they went into the Cup Winners' Cup :lol:

I knew it was a bit weird, but I didn't realize quite how silly it was :lol:. I just never bothered to look it up until now.

well that’s depressing, I think I’m going to Iceland to get as many bottles of white lighting I can carry. Hopefully I will wake up on a roundabout in 3 days time wearing a just a tramps hat and not remember anything including this post. 

1 hour ago, timeEd32 said:

The way our season has gone I'm convinced that if we finish 7th then England will miss out on the extra CL place so we'll be in the Conference League. But if we don't finish 7th then England will get the extra place.

I think we'll get in tbh, I wouldn't be surprised to see City, Liverpool and Villa make the respective finals.

1 minute ago, Beth said:

I think we'll get in tbh, I wouldn't be surprised to see City, Liverpool and Villa make the respective finals.

If that happens we get in? 

where can i get a link to which country currently gets 5th? we still have  have City, Arsenal, west ham , Brighton and villa.

Nothing to do with us just wondered 

12 minutes ago, astraguy said:

where can i get a link to which country currently gets 5th? we still have  have City, Arsenal, west ham , Brighton and villa.

Nothing to do with us just wondered 

England is currently 3rd. Last week was not good. Unless Italy loses like three teams this week (Napoli, Inter, and Fiorentina or Atalanta) then they are well on their way to top 2. 

1. Italy, 16.571 (27.719 max possible)
2. Germany, 15.500 (23.094)
3. England, 14.625 (24.000)
4. France, 14.416 (21.250)
5. Spain, 13.437 (19.437)

Arsenal, West Ham (especially as it's h2h with Germany), and Villa are huge this week.

3 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

England is currently 3rd. Last week was not good. Unless Italy loses like three teams this week (Napoli, Inter, and Fiorentina or Atalanta) then they are well on their way to top 2. 

1. Italy, 16.571 (27.719 max possible)
2. Germany, 15.500 (23.094)
3. England, 14.625 (24.000)
4. France, 14.416 (21.250)
5. Spain, 13.437 (19.437)

Arsenal, West Ham (especially as it's h2h with Germany), and Villa are huge this week.

where do u get this info from?

4 minutes ago, astraguy said:

where do u get this info from?

There is a predictor somewhere like opta that has the percentage chance which I can't find.

England was 82% before Brighton shit the bed and Arsenal lost the first leg.

If as feared Gordon is out for the season I think that's it done. No way are we finishing 7th with Almiron and Murphy as our two wide men for the rest of the season.

Edited by Beth

1 hour ago, Beth said:

If as feared Gordon is out for the season I think that's it done. No way are we finishing 7th with Almiron and Murphy as our two wide men for the rest of the season.

Think you are right, but there is something inappropriate about pressing the like button on it.

There's 3 combined English places for the Europa and the Conference league, and in most years, if both cups were won by the top teams, European football would go down to 7th place. If we were going to get 5 Champions League places, and a Liverpool/Man U/Man C won the FA Cup, would 8th place definitely get into Europe (Conference), or would it still be 7th, and we lose a Europa League spot to make up for the extra CL spot? If it went down to 8th then I'd want the English clubs to do better to give us more of a chance of playing European football, but if there was still the same amount of combined European places for English clubs, i.e 7 max, then I'd prefer England not to get the 5th CL spot as it would hinder either Spurs or Villa, and not allow them to push on ahead, particularly the latter.

Anyone know the criteria?

Brighton & West Ham going out also gives them a better chance of finishing ahead of us.

Their squads can't cope with a deep Europa run.

I expected us to go on a run of like 5 wins in 7. 7 wins in 10. Something like that. That would get us into the top 7/8 most likely. 

I'm not so sure anymore. We can't seem to build any momentum, confidence or back-to-back performances. We are the definition of midtable.

2 minutes ago, Paullow said:

There's 3 combined English places for the Europa and the Conference league, and in most years, if both cups were won by the top teams, European football would go down to 7th place. If we were going to get 5 Champions League places, and a Liverpool/Man U/Man C won the FA Cup, would 8th place definitely get into Europe (Conference), or would it still be 7th, and we lose a Europa League spot to make up for the extra CL spot? If it went down to 8th then I'd want the English clubs to do better to give us more of a chance of playing European football, but if there was still the same amount of combined European places for English clubs, i.e 7 max, then I'd prefer England not to get the 5th CL spot as it would hinder either Spurs or Villa, and not allow them to push on ahead, particularly the latter.

Anyone know the criteria?

UEFA are yet to confirm. The assumption has always been it will be an extra place total.

As someone said before, we just can't build momentum, even when we should he able to put in a good performance 

I thought Villa would be the turning point, good performance and comfortable win against a team who are excellent this season... Then Wolves last week, great game plan and execution, players coming back and etc.. Only for another shite game 

2 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Brighton & West Ham going out also gives them a better chance of finishing ahead of us.

Their squads can't cope with a deep Europa run.

I expected us to go on a run of like 5 wins in 7. 7 wins in 10. Something like that. That would get us into the top 7/8 most likely. 

I'm not so sure anymore. We can't seem to build any momentum, confidence or back-to-back performances. We are the definition of midtable.

Yep I want West Ham focused on their midweek game when they play us. We have to beat them.

12 minutes ago, TRC said:

Yep I want West Ham focused on their midweek game when they play us. We have to beat them.

Ah yes. The old "they are playing midweek so they'll be too tired to play against us". Like Arsenal were.

47 minutes ago, TRon said:

Ah yes. The old "they are playing midweek so they'll be too tired to play against us". Like Arsenal were.

Any advantage we can get. We are a better team on paper than West Ham, we are miles behind Arsenal.

2 hours ago, TRon said:

Arsenal have a CL level squad and were playing at home.

No squad in the PL (except maybe Villa and Leceister a few seasons ago) is equipped to compete in Europe and the league bar the established top 6. West Ham did exceptionally well that season to get to the semi's in Europa and finish 7th.

2 hours ago, TRC said:

Any advantage we can get. We are a better team on paper than West Ham, we are miles behind Arsenal.

I get it, in theory it makes sense. Just the same was said in the Arsenal pre-game thread as they were playing a CL game a few days before us, and I said then that it never actually worked out like that, for us anyways. :lol:

Maybe a more even way of looking at it is we have a weakened squad, West Ham will have played a few days earlier so MIGHT rest some key players, or be tired. But overall it evens itself out so let's just pretend we are going into the game at the same level with no pre-conceived advantage.

14 minutes ago, TRon said:

I get it, in theory it makes sense. Just the same was said in the Arsenal pre-game thread as they were playing a CL game a few days before us, and I said then that it never actually worked out like that, for us anyways. :lol:

Maybe a more even way of looking at it is we have a weakened squad, West Ham will have played a few days earlier so MIGHT rest some key players, or be tired. But overall it evens itself out so let's just pretend we are going into the game at the same level with no pre-conceived advantage.

It doesn't like.

The same accumulation of fatigue, higher risk of injuries, mental fatigue, distractions etc. we suffered they will suffer the longer they play in Europe. It might not impact our match with them but a good run will impact their league form. 

Whisper it... I wouldn't begrudge a West Ham Europa win