Newcastle United 0-0 Leeds United (31/12/2022)

Yorkie

9 minutes ago, jack j said:

The fifteen minute karaoke before kick off with the flags waving starts to look a bit plastic when everyone sits down and shuts up for the first half an hour like

The atmosphere has been poor again after it was good last season. Thought yesterday would be good given the opposition but other than 10 minutes in the second half, it was awful.

It’s just dawned on me this morning that we’re now a team that other clubs come to desperately scrape a point from and are happy they’ve done it. That is utterly bizarre to me considering where we’ve come from in the last 10 years+.

19 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

The atmosphere has been poor again after it was good last season. Thought yesterday would be good given the opposition but other than 10 minutes in the second half, it was awful.

Thats the one downside of the flags I guess, creates an atmosphere before kick off which then tails off. 

Thought it was quite loud over towards the corner though. 

6 minutes ago, St1pe said:

It’s just dawned on me this morning that we’re now a team that other clubs come to desperately scrape a point from and are happy they’ve done it. That is utterly bizarre to me considering where we’ve come from in the last 10 years+.

It always happens on the back of us getting good results - we had Palace and Bournemouth doing it after the Man City game then after the Leicester and so many positive articles about us having a strong restart etc Leeds do it as well.

Best time for it to happen though as for me this needs to be the area we work on in transfer market / training to break down as it’s cost us at least 6 points in games listed above alone.

This one stings more today.

Thought our left flank was exposed a bit yesterday. Willock had one or two moments but was just way too passive in the main. We can't get those neat triangle interchanges going like we can on the right, due to personnel and balance. I actually thought subs disrupted us a bit for 10 mins and then we found a groove with Maxi again.

This is also the game, imo, where you want to be able to change up the midfield by pushing Bruno up as we look for a winner.

If we had two of Trippier, one for the left, Willock would get so much joy. That’s what we need, another attacking full-back. That said, Burn gives us so much defensively and allows us to become a back 3 at times and his height and heading ability defensively is one of the main reasons why we are so strong at the back. It’s a delicate balancing act, but if you want to try and nullify this Howe NUFC team, target our right flank which Leeds did to good effect. Even with ASM on the left if we can’t go on the run down the right, he’s too unpredictable and double up on him and we are forced through the centre where only Bruno has the eye for a killer pass. We need a Maddison too!

Edited by King HTT III

After catching most of the first half, I've just watched extended highlights of the second and it reminded me loads of the Palace game.

I thought Leeds' press was really good for 70 minutes and in particular got men around Bruno really effectively.  They did gas late on and resorted to robust challenges, it was a pity to see us lose our heads a bit as a result.

Overall we probably just about created enough to win the game, but Leeds dug in, rode their luck and got a well fought away point. 

As for us it was just one of those days. While I'd like to have more options in the final third, we've been banging them in for fun of late, so I don't think creativity is a massive issue. Again we looked sold and fairly untroubled at the back. You can't win them all and four points from Leicester and Leeds is a decent return after the break.

Edited by The Prophet

It shows how far we have come as a team when we are disappointed with a home draw against Leeds - this time last year we’d have snapped your arm off for that point. It does, however, show we still need improvement in the midfield area and a striker who can get the goals when Wilson is missing. Where is Isak?

2 hours ago, King HTT III said:

If we had two of Trippier, one for the left, Willock would get so much joy. That’s what we need, another attacking full-back. That said, Burn gives us so much defensively and allows us to become a back 3 at times and his height and heading ability defensively is one of the main reasons why we are so strong at the back. It’s a delicate balancing act, but if you want to try and nullify this Howe NUFC team, target our right flank which Leeds did to good effect. Even with ASM on the left if we can’t go on the run down the right, he’s too unpredictable and double up on him and we are forced through the centre where only Bruno has the eye for a killer pass. We need a Maddison too!

Just throwing this out for shits and giggles - get a more attacking lb / bring target back in when he’s fit to release left side more, play burn as a kind of dm role to still allow the back three and cover, this will allow Bruno to get more forward and drop longstaff.

As I said this is purely for conversation so don’t jump on me and slag me off ?

Edited by Gawalls

11 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Shades of the Championship season when we drew with them up here around Christmas but we still got where we wanted in the end.

We absolutely battered them that day IIRC. Horrible sucker punch right at the end. I am glad yesterday went the way it did rather than a late, undeserved goal. I’d be sick as fuck today ha.

47 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

Just throwing this out for shits and giggles - get a more attacking lb / bring target back in when he’s fit to release left side more, play burn as a kind of dm role to still allow the back three and cover, this will allow Bruno to get more forward and drop longstaff.

As I said this is purely for conversation so don’t jump on me and slag me off ?

Play a centre back as DM.  Every. Single. Time. :lol:

1 hour ago, Danh1 said:

We absolutely battered them that day IIRC. Horrible sucker punch right at the end. I am glad yesterday went the way it did rather than a late, undeserved goal. I’d be sick as fuck today ha.

That's the kind of plus we can take from yesterday. In spite of everything, that never really looked like a risk due to our solid foundations.

6 hours ago, St1pe said:

A good point, shows our progress. 

Tbf to Leeds though they matched us first half yesterday imo, I was fairly impressed. Our 2nd half dominance was probably a combination of us pushing for the win and them prioritising not leaving with nowt, but first half I did think Leeds tried to have a go. 

Gadgie near me at the match just slagged the players off all game. Was shouting his mouth off that none of them are good enough. 

Not sure why you’d bother going if you can’t take any joy from our current situation. Some odd people out there. 

Well, it's always cathartic to compare ourselves to a year ago and marvel at how far we've come. It is brilliant... and the team deserve every plaudit. 

But now it's a new year, it might be the time to forget about all that and start writing our future properly. If teams like Leeds are starting to find us out, we need to up our game accordingly. This is where upgrading wherever possible is going to count. 

And that's nothing that Eddie hasn't already thought about. He's on it. It takes time, so let's give him that time. No NUFC manager in recent years has deserved it more. 

Turned out a canny point after the round of results. Man Utd clearly the in form team behind us with Fulham creeping up the table.

On a side note just as well we didn’t win as the short snippet of Hey Jude pre KO was jumping and glitching like crazy ?