Anthony Gordon

Jack27

Didn't he do that interview where he basically said the criticism was fair whilst the rest of the fannies were lying their arses off saying it wasn't Southgate's shit tactics that were to blame for us being negative and performing so poorly.

6 hours ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

It's so strange when you consider the left hand side was the biggest problem for England and in Gordon you had the best LW of the league available and he only got 4 mins in a fairly meaningless game

Straight up negligence from Southgate.

12 minutes ago, Kilcline said:

Aye, "the interview" will be a potentially interesting footnote in the inevitable biography of Southgate's reign that we'll see in a year or two 

TWE for that tome 🤪

Preface written by James Milner, no doubt 🙈

Didn't wor Anthony come back for pre-season training from the U-21s Euros earlier than expected after playing and winning the tournament?

Wonder if he'll come back soon before the other international players seeing Southgate used him for fuck all and knowing the lad himself is a workhose and has that psychology of player who doesn't like to stop and put his feet up?

Edited by nufcjb

1 minute ago, nufcjb said:

Didn't wor Anthony come back for pre-season training from the U-21s Euros earlier than expected after playing and winning the tournament?

Wonder if he'll come back soon before the other international players seeing Southgate used him for fuck all and knowing the lad himself is a workhose and has that psychology of player who doesn't like to stop and put his feet up?

I’d rather he miss the Japan tour TBH. Come back after that.

1 minute ago, Nucasol said:

I’d rather he miss the Japan tour TBH. Come back after that.

He doesn't need to play. Just get him around players and coaches that love him for his confidence, let him get that rotten month he's had with England out of the system. Like someone said earlier, hopefully he's hungry and motivated and not let the Euro fiasco knock him down.

Trips can stay home all he wants.

I don’t think it was personal with Southgate, more that if Gordon was given 30 mins it could make calls for his inclusion to be deafening - Southgate wanted to play both Bellingham and Foden and didn’t want a LW, so avoided it.

Had Grealish been in the squad with his greater PR I think Southgate’s hand would have been forced

2 minutes ago, On the Grid said:

I'm wondering now if maybe his attitude to not wanting fitness staff getting involved in his routines had any part to play? Possibly fidnt go down too well if it was forced upon him and he didn't align with the England view?

Yeah I had wondered that. 

Very open-minded to theories like this but ultimately there's a good chance Southgate is just a shit manager who couldn't see past using the same 11 and predetermined subs over and over again.

1 hour ago, On the Grid said:

I'm wondering now if maybe his attitude to not wanting fitness staff getting involved in his routines had any part to play? Possibly fidnt go down too well if it was forced upon him and he didn't align with the England view?

Unless he has just implemented his fitness routine last season, I would think the England set up would already have been aware of this from him playing with the U21s.

I had forgotten what it’s like having England players. 

If they play you’re worried they are injured or they are going to be mentally impacted by losing before the season starts.

if they don’t play you’re worried they are going to be mentally impacted by not being picked or injured falling off their bike.

i can understand why Ferguson was always so annoyed. 

Edited by FLUMPO235

I'm 100% behind the favourites tag and his post match honesty didn't fit into the seige mentality, that wouldn't have gone down well at all. His brief cameo was nothing but positive and should have earned him more minutes along side Palmer but Palmer didn't go against the grain in public.

1 hour ago, On the Grid said:

this true?

32 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Maybe he just already had too much of a problem thinking about how to accommodate Foden and Bellingham, he couldn’t fathom Gordon as well. 

Probably this and any brain cells he had available to navigate that thought process were frazzled when he tried the TAA thing

34 minutes ago, huss9 said:

this true?

It's from his Overlap interview. He has a pretty unconventional approach to fitness e.g. almost zero strength training and emphasizing his own stretching methods, which Howe and co. support his decision on. But maybe more conservative managers would not be impressed by.

18 minutes ago, huss9 said:

apparently lineker had a couple of words with him after the game, to gee him up.

Where's this from?

Really dont mind southgate threw him in the doghouse since I'm not an England fan. Might inspire an AG revenge tour from now until the WC, and he could use the extra rest banked up before he starts Eddie-ball again for the next 10 months