Anthony Gordon

Jack27

9 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Aye, Peacock was solid for instance but PotY the 95/6 season? :lol:

Yeah, that one raised my eyebrow too - and I was one of those who felt Peacock was underrated as a centre half!

I was 11 so my memory's hazy but I'd put money on it being because of his consistency. Our better players had highs and lows throughout the season. Funny how Ferdinand won PFA POTY but didn't win our own award though. :lol:

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I was 11 so my memory's hazy but I'd put money on it being because of his consistency. Our better players had highs and lows throughout the season. Funny how Ferdinand won PFA POTY but didn't win our own award though. :lol:

Often kept Howey out of the team once Albert was fit, but Howey got selected for Euro 96 (before he fell in a ditch I believe). 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

Especially now the squad size has been increased to 26.

Had a bet with my mate he will make the squad. He knew it was 26 and still agreed to it! 

I also think the interview he did recently with Gary Neville helped massively. Gareth must have watched it and thought he is a good egg, rather than what many perceive him as from the outside.

Edited by CPL

2 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

Ferdinand was definitely one of those players.  He scored 12 goals in October; he only managed another 13 from November to May.  First three months of the season he was unplayable. 

3 minutes ago, CPL said:

Had a bet with my mate he will make the squad. He knew it was 26 and still agreed to it! 

I also think the interview he did recently with Gary Neville helped massively. Gareth must have watched it and thought he is a good egg, rather than what many perceive him as from the outside.

Why on earth did he take that bet 😂

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

Why on earth did he take that bet 😂

Only a tenner tbf and he's loaded! 

11 minutes ago, CPL said:

Southgate won’t be getting his mentality reports on Gordon from YouTube 😂

He’s been part of the England youth setup for years - they’ll be well aware of his mentality. Presumably Ashworth knew it and that’s part of the reason why they wanted him so badly.

11 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

TBF some of those selections are baffling

Mike Williamson winning player of the season is so fucking depressing :lol:

6 minutes ago, Nobody said:

I'll see your Mike Williamson and raise you a Rob Elliot 😉

Remember when we seemed to go years without being awarded a penalty?

For years we rarely troubled the opposition's penalty, now we have this guy. Can now see why some teams seem to be awarded loads of penalties and some very few. Gordon earns/wins them with his running at players in the box. 

1 hour ago, Nobody said:

1 hour ago, Groundhog63 said:

I'll see your Mike Williamson and raise you a Rob Elliot 😉

I hope they were both depressed, too.  Proud and depressed. 

3 hours ago, nufc123 said:

Cant remember us having so many pens before, and Gordon is a big reason for that.

Also, we have the ball in the opposition box so much more. No more of the sit back with 10 men behind the ball and hope for a bit of magic, we're a proper attacking team under Eddie.

3 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I hope they were both depressed, too.  Proud and depressed. 

It's a grim list af times like 😂😂

Have to say I did like Alan Gowling. 

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Ellis H said:

On the player of the year award, how utterly degrading have most of our winners been in the last 20 or so years? Only 2 attackers (one of which was on loan) since Shearer in 02/03 says it all.

https://imgur.com/r7IT4qw

11/12 season was the 5th place one. Ba, Cisse, Tiote, HBA, Colo and Cabaye was amongst the players that could've won it. Instead Krul won it.[emoji38]

Edited by Erikse

Posted (edited)

Maybe Peacock isn't that far off for 95/96 when you think Lee, Ferdinand and Ginola were right off the boil in the second half and Albert and Batty were on fire at the end but weren't around for the first half. Still would have thought Beardsley mind.

Paradoxically 95/96 and 96/97 are the hardest ones to pin down.

Edited by Wolfcastle

3 hours ago, nufc123 said:

Cant remember us having so many pens before, and Gordon is a big reason for that.

We used to get loads when Beardsley played for us. Not since then though.