[The League Cup Final] Newcastle United vs. Manchester United: 26/02/2023 @ 4.30pm (Sky)

Nobody

One area we should be having a field day with next week is set pieces as their current first choice team (I presume it will be this) is quite small. It's however the one big failing we have and it does piss me off when you see the height we have, and yet we are pretty toothless. We need to be attacking balls into the box. 

13 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

One area we should be having a field day with next week is set pieces as their current first choice team (I presume it will be this) is quite small. It's however the one big failing we have and it does piss me off when you see the height we have, and yet we are pretty toothless. We need to be attacking balls into the box. 

I think our set pieces only improve when we reintroduce matt targetts left foot as a variation

30 minutes ago, geordie_b said:

I think our set pieces only improve when we reintroduce matt targetts left foot as a variation

Yeah wouldn't argue there, but I don't see Targett replacing Burn in Howe's mind. Needs sorting either way as it's been ineffective in the main all season, when it should be one of our biggest strengths. 

43 minutes ago, geordie_b said:

Diagree to some extent though, as Burn, Schar and Botman yet to score a header and all had some cracking chances. Although worst out the 4 lascelles probably the best header of a ball.

28 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Yeah wouldn't argue there, but I don't see Targett replacing Burn in Howe's mind. Needs sorting either way as it's been ineffective in the main all season, when it should be one of our biggest strengths. 

Its like set pieces under Southgate, was a massive weapon in Russia then went cold

1 hour ago, ilikenewcastle said:

Of all the faux outrage I hear from our fans, the whole United thing annoys me the most (moaning about the BBC showing/referring to the Hereford game is a close second).

It doesn’t for me.  It’s the club’s name for fuck’s sake.

And everyone I’ve ever met refers to ‘Man Yoo’ and ‘Man City’, not ‘United’ or ‘City’.

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

And everyone I’ve ever met refers to ‘Man Yoo’ and ‘Man City’, not ‘United’ or ‘City’.

I maybe should have been clearer, I was referring to outrage at them being called Manchester United and us simply Newcastle. I refuse to believe that genuinely upsets people. Also I'd say loads of people refer to the Manc clubs as United and City.

1 minute ago, ilikenewcastle said:

I maybe should have been clearer, I was referring to outrage at them being called Manchester United and us simply Newcastle. I refuse to believe that genuinely upsets people. Also I'd say loads of people refer to the Manc clubs as United and City.

Never met anyone on Tyneside call them ‘United’ or ‘City’

1 hour ago, ilikenewcastle said:

Of all the faux outrage I hear from our fans, the whole United thing annoys me the most (moaning about the BBC showing/referring to the Hereford game is a close second).

We are Newcastle United. It's not difficult. In fact it's rude/disrespectful.

8 minutes ago, ilikenewcastle said:

The whole country calls us Newcastle, nobody calls them West Ham UNITED or Tottenham HOTSPUR either.

Anyway getting back on topic, I hope we win the cup final lads.

Aye, but we're Newcastle United. Tottenham get Spurs or Aston Villa might get Villa in general conversation, but when on Sky they shouldnt just erase the name out of sheer pig ignorance :lol:

Edited by Heron

42 minutes ago, Heron said:

We are Newcastle United. It's not difficult. In fact it's rude/disrespectful.

Especially when it's two Uniteds. This isn't a Newcastle thing, it would piss me off if it was West Ham and Southend but only one was given the "United".

Worse will happen on Sunday when the commentator will talk of "United" meaning them, at which point my spleen will be vented.

Edited by madras

23 hours ago, Stifler said:

People saying the final has come at the wrong time, form etc will see us lose.

Fucking hell, cups are all about League form being irrelevant. In this League Cup alone you can look at the wins of various teams where League form has meant fuck all. Swansea, Birmingham, Boro, heck Blackburn and Leicester as well.

Fucking hell, Southampton beat Man City to play us in the semi’s.

You could actually say that the League Cup is now due a more unlikely winner on the basis of history/statistics/law of probability.

In the FA Cup we have seen the likes of Wigan and Portsmouth win the final. Both of their wins were against the run of form etc.

I also think a lot of people are over playing Man Utd’s form. Heck they got beat to Arsenal a couple of weeks ago, and were lucky to get a draw at home to Leeds, and beat them a few games later.

Their performances haven’t been all that when people have watched them play. They are not the unbeatable force everyone thinks they are.

Aye I’d rather be playing Nottingham Forest in the final, but if you had offered any of our fans at any point in history the chance to win the cup by playing Man Utd in the final, everyone would take it and be optimistic.

This season we have lost 3 games all season going into the end of February, one of them against Liverpool where 1 goal for us was disallowed despite being ok, and losing by a goal in 98th minute when 5 minutes were added on. Another game where some of our 1st team players were out to be replaced by squad players we know are not good enough, and the 3rd against Liverpool where on another day we would have won, despite being down to 10 men for vast majority of it.

On top of that we have not lost 2 games on the bounce and in games where we have been poor, we have still got a result out of it.

I’m not saying we are going to win, that’s why we play the game, but fuck me, it’s not the straight forward loss everyone else thinks it is.

So go out there, stick £100 on Man Utd to fuck the bookies over incase the worst happens, have hope, and remember, even if the worse does happen, at least we aren’t some Cockney cunt who ‘supports’ Man Utd who couldn’t really actually give a fuck about this game, and we actually live for our club.

Newcastle is our city.

It is where we work, where we, our family, and friends live, it’s where we call home, it’s our lives.

We are Geordies, we give the world the electric light, we give them the steam engine, built them the ships, where the coal for our power stations and even our fires at home came from. We introduced the world to the train. We literally dragged the world out of the fucking cold and the dark and into the modern era.

Newcastle United is who we put forward to represent our great city, and our city is going be a success again, maybe in the 26th February, maybe we might have to wait a bit longer, but we will be a success once again!

Forest drew with citeh… footbaals football bring these cuntz on. Howayy

As has been mentioned by the more balanced types on the forum, these fuckers can be got at. Leicester were all over them today for the first 20,missed 2 great chances to go ahead. We have Maxi fit and raring to go and on a mission, it's massively exciting

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

All of Australia, Asia, Africa and the States refer to them as United. It pisses me off when people I meet say they support United. 

If I respond is Leeds, West Ham, Newcastle which United?, you invariable get a blank look. 

36 minutes ago, Convict said:

All of Australia, Asia, Africa and the States refer to them as United. It pisses me off when people I meet say they support United. 

If I respond is Leeds, West Ham, Newcastle which United?, you invariable get a blank look. 

In Spain they’re usually called ‘Manchester’.  Which must piss Man City fans off no end :) 

My fellow Newcastle fans, the day of the Carabao cup final is drawing near, and I want to take a moment to reflect on the incredible journey that has brought us here. This is a journey that began long before the final whistle blows – a journey that started with the passion and determination of the Newcastle United supporters and the players.

From the first day of the season, we knew that this was going to be a challenging road. We faced tough opponents, injuries, and setbacks along the way. But we never lost faith. We knew that if we stayed true to our principles and worked together as a team, we could overcome any obstacle.

And that's exactly what we did. We fought hard for every point, every goal, and every win. We showed the world what it means to be a Newcastle United fan – a fan who never gives up, who never backs down, and who never stops believing.

Our players have been nothing short of exceptional. They have played with heart, passion, and grit, inspiring us all with their performances on the pitch. They have shown us that anything is possible when you believe in yourself and your teammates.

But let's not forget about the fans. You have been the backbone of this team. Your unwavering support has been the driving force behind our success. Whether at home or away, you have cheered us on every step of the way, lifting our spirits and giving us the strength to push through the toughest of challenges.

So as we prepare for the final, let us remember that we are in this together. Let us remember the journey that has brought us here, and the passion and determination that has fueled us along the way. Let us carry that same spirit into the final, knowing that we have what it takes to triumph over any opponent.

We may be up against one of the biggest football clubs in the world, but we are Newcastle United. We are a team that never gives up, never backs down, and never stops fighting. Let's show the world what we're made of, and we will  bring that cup home!

Howay......

Aye, garbage journalism. Everyone knows that Pope being out is shit for us but Karius is a complete unknown quantity. Hope he puts in the performance of his life and shuts some people up, this is a guy who was incredibly highly rated for years 

7 hours ago, Convict said:

I know Leeds fans here who even call us United.  If you say United, 95% of football fans think you're talking about Manchester United. I don't think it's meant to be offensive. :lol: