Financial Fair Play / Profit & Sustainability

Mattoon

3 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

They’ve been overspending for years.  I’ve zero sympathy whatsoever.  Other clubs followed the rules, Everton flouted them.  Without their flouting of the rules, they’d likely have been relegated in the last couple of years.  One of those relegated clubs would have stayed up instead.  This has been a long time coming.  10 points is light, frankly. 

Very light - and handed out when there’s still zero to little risk of them going down this year. You get more deducted for going into administration which may not always be deliberate, should have been at least 20 deducted for me.

I still think the FFP system is fundamentally flawed and skewed in a way that benefits established teams, however on flip side of that it's imperative that there's a way to stop clubs overreach and bankrupting a club essentially wiping it off the map and also I think it would be unfair to allow clubs such as our to spend unfettered.

There has to be a better way of policing finances without restricting competition.

Say there’s a world where Chelsea and Man City are done. Do the clubs that have lost out of millions in revenue / champions league spots and titles get compensation then? 

If that’s the precedent that’s been set it’s very very interesting. When did FFP come in?

51 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

They closed the eight year loop hole Chelsea exploited and have punished Everton with others still under investigation - seems to me it’s not a “fucking mess”.

It came into effect on July 1st and didn't affect what they had done and wouldn't have stopped them doing it again in that January window as he signed on the 15th.

20 minutes ago, madras said:

It came into effect on July 1st and didn't affect what they had done and wouldn't have stopped them doing it again in that January window as he signed on the 15th.

That’s why it’s defined as a loop hole being closed as opposed to a rule being broken.

13 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

That’s why it’s defined as a loop hole being closed as opposed to a rule being broken.

Why wasn't FMV classed as a loophole then? Seems more like when it's a big 6 "take your time", when it's a non big 6 "get it stopped before they have a chance to use it and threaten the closed shop".

Just pointing out the differences in the way things are treated.

Edited by madras

2 hours ago, nufcnick said:

Man City have been charged by the PL, but they have 113 charges to go through and get right compared to Everton’s 1 charge, and city are fighting and blocking every step of the way, the PL will get them and Chelsea in the end. Do you want it done quickly where there is a chance the PL fuck up and city get away with it, or do you want it done properly and City and Chelsea get nailed to the wall. 

Nail them to the cross and we’ll be ready to pick up the pieces in a few years of it takes that long.

A total non story as they'll still finish in front of the three promoted teams this season. And even then, if it looks like they might struggle to do that it'll be reduced on appeal in the new year.

Any reason why this was not applied last season when it would have mattered?

24 minutes ago, Beth said:

A total non story as they'll still finish in front of the three promoted teams this season. And even then, if it looks like they might struggle to do that it'll be reduced on appeal in the new year.

Any reason why this was not applied last season when it would have mattered?

Yes, Beth. The reason it wasn't applied last season was because it was applied this season. Also Everton are a legacy club and Masters is a huge mega Everton fan. 

Should be a good chance for the media to ask why no serious actions were taken against the breakaway clubs for ESL. The Premier League then said they didnt want the fans to suffer for their owners mistakes, but this is the same (Im all for the points deductions for Everton FWIW)

I don't have much sympathy for Everton, the case against them is pretty cut and dried. The only defenses are: 1) the punishment is too harsh and 2) what about Chelsea/Man City. 

With regard to 1, I think it may be a bit harsh but I think the willful nature of the deceit is being punished here. The idea being that FFP representatives from a club are there to act in good faith, not act in the most deceitful possible way that is in an interpretation of the rules. Everton didn't do that and the PL is trying to make a statement about what that means.

Which brings us to 2. The initial difference between these cases is that Man City/Chelsea have vigorously denied and are contesting the claims, which is delaying things hugely. That is their right. The rubber will meet the road if City/Chelsea are eventually found guilty, as by this standard, they would face an astronomical punishment. Would they enforce it? Would they try? Would they expect CAS or some such to intervene? I don't know. I do think they're going to have to do *something* as the coalition of clubs and owners who aren't a part of this will have a measure of influence to try to "clean it up", at least for appearances.

4 hours ago, Mattoon said:

I still think the FFP system is fundamentally flawed and skewed in a way that benefits established teams, however on flip side of that it's imperative that there's a way to stop clubs overreach and bankrupting a club essentially wiping it off the map and also I think it would be unfair to allow clubs such as our to spend unfettered.

There has to be a better way of policing finances without restricting competition.

Easy cap budgets to the highest budget in the league, don’t let owners lump debt on to club beyond their ability to service that debt, allow owners to spend their own money up to the budget limit. Level playing field for those who want to challenge and can afford it i.e us and those who can’t pump their own money in can’t bankrupt clubs by taking out loans against their club. 

10 minutes ago, Memphis said:

I don't have much sympathy for Everton, the case against them is pretty cut and dried. The only defenses are: 1) the punishment is too harsh and 2) what about Chelsea/Man City. 

With regard to 1, I think it may be a bit harsh but I think the willful nature of the deceit is being punished here. The idea being that FFP representatives from a club are there to act in good faith, not act in the most deceitful possible way that is in an interpretation of the rules. Everton didn't do that and the PL is trying to make a statement about what that means.

Which brings us to 2. The initial difference between these cases is that Man City/Chelsea have vigorously denied and are contesting the claims, which is delaying things hugely. That is their right. The rubber will meet the road if City/Chelsea are eventually found guilty, as by this standard, they would face an astronomical punishment. Would they enforce it? Would they try? Would they expect CAS or some such to intervene? I don't know. I do think they're going to have to do *something* as the coalition of clubs and owners who aren't a part of this will have a measure of influence to try to "clean it up", at least for appearances.

And maybe 3. The authorities shitting themselves that a Chelsea or Man City may be more likely to take the legal route rather than something like CAS.

Yeah the next move from a club like Chelsea/City will be fighting the legal/competative nature of FFP, picking holes in the legal wording, etc. It didn't explicitly say we couldn't and all that shit.

Edited by OCK

7 minutes ago, Carlton said:

Just been reading an article by Fair Cop asking why a lesbian should be banned by the club for disagreeing with trans ideology. She's been suspended for this season and the next two.

For those of you with a conscience, is it fair to ban someone who has said nothing wrong but does not agree with the privileges demanded by these people? 

Is there anything else that is so terrible to discuss that you should be banned although people committing violence on the streets and calling for the deaths of people of another nationality are not penalised

Not sure how germane this is to the discussion on Everton's 10 point deduction.

My position will always be from a place of sympathy because I believe the Financial Fair Play laws are flawed and ultimately handicap anyone outside the "big six" who try to compete.

Of course that is the law of the land, Everton have broken it and will be punished. I'll be surprised if it isn't reduced on appeal though.