Financial Fair Play / Profit & Sustainability

Mattoon

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

As unfit for purpose as FFP is, I’m getting increasingly narked at the shite that local football hacks put out about it, which feeds more misinfo in the fan base.

The current one is ‘the best players to sell are academy products because they’re 100% FFP profit’.

Total and utter bollocks.  At this point Almiron’s transfer fee isn’t being amortised - he’d also be 100% profit in FFP terms.

I just wish they’d stop the half-baked shite. 

To be fair both points are valid. Selling a player that had no cost is 100% profit.

Selling a player fully amortised is also (technically) 100% profit. For profit purposes and not tax.

6 minutes ago, Isaksbigrightfoot said:

I was just reading about this. I other clubs owned by the same owners have been allowed to play in Europe.

But City’s ownership model is different and would likely be reviewed.

Especially with these breaches.

Whats more concerning is they have 115 of them. For them to not be guilty on any of them would be almost corruption at the highest level.

So why are they not being punished and yet Everton and Forrest are. It all sounds a bit fishy to me.

Right now it’s because they say they’re not guilty, and many of the charges are complex. Everton and Forest admit they are, and they are straightforward breaches.

Honestly, listen to that Athletic podcast, it lays it out pretty well:

https://theathletic.com/podcast/144-athletic-football-podcast/

The 16th Jan one.

4 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

Right now it’s because they say they’re not guilty, and many of the charges are complex. Everton and Forest admit they are, and they are straightforward breaches.

Honestly, listen to that Athletic podcast, it lays it out pretty well:

https://theathletic.com/podcast/144-athletic-football-podcast/

The 16th Jan one.

I could get a 30 day trial and listen. That one is 54 minutes. Eak!

15 minutes ago, Isaksbigrightfoot said:

To be fair both points are valid. Selling a player that had no cost is 100% profit.

Selling a player fully amortised is also (technically) 100% profit. For profit purposes and not tax.

I know, but they never mention the other part.  That selling an Almiron brings the same profit as selling a Longstaff or a Miley.

I said it in the summer, but I was genuinely surprised that we didn’t try and cash in on the likes of Almiron for an FFP boost.  He’ll never have the same value again. 

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I know, but they never mention the other part.  That selling an Almiron brings the same profit as selling a Longstaff or a Miley.

I said it in the summer, but I was genuinely surprised that we didn’t try and cash in on the likes of Almiron for an FFP boost.  He’ll never have the same value again. 

Yes that is true. At his peak when he was scoring he was worth 30-40m. Now he’s back to being normal Miggy.

Still worth 20-30m in today’s prices. I wouldn’t sell him though. Just with the injuries.

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

As unfit for purpose as FFP is, I’m getting increasingly narked at the shite that local football hacks put out about it, which feeds more misinfo in the fan base.

The current one is ‘the best players to sell are academy products because they’re 100% FFP profit’.

Total and utter bollocks.  At this point Almiron’s transfer fee isn’t being amortised - he’d also be 100% profit in FFP terms.

I just wish they’d stop the half-baked shite. 

Almiron's fee is still being amortised. There's just little left at this point.

He signed a 5.5 year deal at around £22m. So let's call it £4m p/a.

4 years into the deal he signs a 3.5 year extension. So £16m has been amortised with £6m remaining over 3.5 years. So about £1.5m amortisation p/a. By the summer there will be £3m or so (rough figures) remaining. So it's still slightly better to see a HG player than him.

BUT.. I assume his wages are higher than all the HG players so there will be a bigger saving from that.

The advantage of this for us is that.. when we give big-money signings new contracts, the bump in wages is somewhat offset by spreading out the fee amortisation over a longer term.

Edited by The College Dropout

2 hours ago, Isaksbigrightfoot said:

I was just reading about this. I other clubs owned by the same owners have been allowed to play in Europe.

But City’s ownership model is different and would likely be reviewed.

Especially with these breaches.

Whats more concerning is they have 115 of them. For them to not be guilty on any of them would be almost corruption at the highest level.

So why are they not being punished and yet Everton and Forrest are. It all sounds a bit fishy to me.

how does it work with regards to transfers/loans and fees between the 2 clubs?

is it just the same as us and PIF cklubs?

Was told recently that de Bruyne gets £1m every 6 months for not putting a transfer request in.  Who’s bank account that comes out of is anyone’s guess.

20 minutes ago, huss9 said:

how does it work with regards to transfers/loans and fees between the 2 clubs?

is it just the same as us and PIF cklubs?

Im

not sure. Man City sold a player to Girona for 5m recently. He’s valued at 20m on transfer market.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/yangel-herrera/profil/spieler/378293

Edited by Isaksbigrightfoot

8 minutes ago, Isaksbigrightfoot said:

Im

not sure. Man City sold a player to Girona for 5m recently. He’s valued at 20m on transfer market.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/yangel-herrera/profil/spieler/378293

this FMV works both ways so its a ricidulous concept.

you either try sell a player for more than he's worth, or you manage to buy one for way under the market value.

maybe transfers between clubs with the same owners should be allowed

On 17/01/2024 at 13:16, Erikse said:

I wonder when clubs like Man Utd, City and Chelsea will have to sell half their squad to comply.

Right before the rules are changes is my guess.

4 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Go down to the KDB example for a good illustration https://www.reddit.com/media?url=https%3A%2F%2Fi.redd.it%2Fq0cqb34zc5291.png

Why do Chelsea bother with their 8 year contracts then.  Couldnt they just offer an extension after every year and get the same benefit with less risk of the player being a flop.  The players would have to agree to it, which i guess could be an issue.

1 minute ago, simonsays said:

Why do Chelsea bother with their 8 year contracts then.  Couldnt they just offer an extension after every year and get the same benefit with less risk of the player being a flop.  The players would have to agree to it, which i guess could be an issue.

Because they wanted to spread the amortisation for the immediate accounts, not in a year or twos time.

So Fernandez on the 8 year deal is 100/8 = 12.5m for account year 23/24. And every year after.

If they signed him on a 5-year deal it would be 100/5 = 20m for account year 23/24. 

That's given them an additional 7.5m to spend for 23/24.

13 minutes ago, TRC said:

OK so nothing will happen then. Sound

Watched this and the guy sounds like he knows his stuff.

I think he’s right aswell. If the evidence was there. In is form for to be able to “do” Man City over. Then it would have happened by now.

115 allegations and not one will stick. The problem the PL have is the evidence isn’t there. We all know something dodgy has happened. Money went into the club and was deemed sponsorship money etc but it was significantly over cooked.

An example is like this. X company sponsored MC for 50m on paper. But X company only paid 5m. The balance was never paid. The money came from the owners.

As far as FFP City got 50m. It doesn’t matter when or how it was paid.

1 minute ago, FloydianMag said:

Which we all kind of knew, City’s legal team will wipe the floor with any independent tribunal.

I hope they do. The PL has been in hock to certain favoured clubs who they consider a precious brand, so there's no way they would be impartial anyway.

37 minutes ago, oldtype said:

All of this FFP stuff is dumb and annoying, but I guess worrying about this is better than worrying about not having any money to begin with.

I’m okay with can’t rather than won’t. 

7 hours ago, huss9 said:

this FMV works both ways so its a ricidulous concept.

you either try sell a player for more than he's worth, or you manage to buy one for way under the market value.

maybe transfers between clubs with the same owners should be allowed

City are just doing what they want as no one is stopping them. UEFA don't seem to care.

Edited by duo