Financial Fair Play / Profit & Sustainability

Mattoon

3 hours ago, astraguy said:

I don't think it'll be any surprise if they lose their appeal, the appeal can only consider the case on the basis of the PL's rules.

If they lose the appeal it likely not to be the end of it, it's possible / likely they'll then challenge the lawfulness of the PLs FFP rules through the Competition Appeals Tribunal, which is when it'll get interesting! Particularly if they're in the regulation places with the deduction. The case would be be unlikely to be concluded before the start of next season but they could theoretically get an injunction to prevent them from being relegated while the case is ongoing, and leave the whole system of promotion and relegation in limbo.

Edited by Jackie Broon

13 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

I don't think it'll be any surprise if they lose their appeal, the appeal can only consider the case on the basis of the PL's rules.

If they lose the appeal it likely not to be the end of it, it's possible / likely they'll then challenge the lawfulness of the PLs FFP rules through the Competition Appeals Tribunal, which is when it'll get interesting! Particularly if they're in the regulation places with the deduction. The case would be be unlikely to be concluded before the start of next season but they could theoretically get an injunction to prevent them from being relegated while the case is ongoing, and leave the whole system of promotion and relegation in limbo.

FMV and the new more onerous FMV rules that basically tells clubs who and who they can’t have as sponsor also needs to go to a CAT.

53 minutes ago, FloydianMag said:

FMV and the new more onerous FMV rules that basically tells clubs who and who they can’t have as sponsor also needs to go to a CAT.

Yeah, that doesn't seem likely to be directly relevant to Everton's case, but its all under the same profit and sustainability section of the PL's rules.

Just now, Infatuation Junkie said:

14 teams outside the big 6 should walk off the pitch every week until the FFP rule is abolished 

But most of those 14 are perfectly happy to be also-rans and keep the drawbridge up for any club with more ambition.

8 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

But most of those 14 are perfectly happy to be also-rans and keep the drawbridge up for any club with more ambition.

Plenty of owners happy to take their cut and not have to put anything back, FFP is brilliant for them. Though to keep the gravy train going they have to make sure  they’re not relegated. FFP keeps the mid pack together and stops clubs breaking away and creating a smaller pool of potential relegation candidates.

51 minutes ago, SAK said:

Plenty of owners happy to take their cut and not have to put anything back, FFP is brilliant for them. Though to keep the gravy train going they have to make sure  they’re not relegated. FFP keeps the mid pack together and stops clubs breaking away and creating a smaller pool of potential relegation candidates.

It helps that too. The newly promoted teams have less FFP room - for example, Forest last season had £35m from their PL season but only about a third of that for each of the previous two seasons because they were in the Championship. 

City fan in peace!

I’ve got a soft spot for Newcastle - my first season being taken to Maine Road as a kid when the Kippax was rebuilt and one match that sticks out in my memory that season was playing yous. Mainly because of the Asprilla and Curle spat but also your kit was class at the time. We’ve also had quite a few players play for both clubs whilst I was growing up as well, a lot of terrible ones (Sibierski and Charvet spring to mind) but some decent ones (Given, Bellers). We had Beardsley on loan for a few games I seem to remember when we had our Kappa kit as well.

I wanted to see what your fans thoughts were after it looks like City and Newcastle were the only two teams not to vote on this new sponsorship rule. Good to see that most of you can see what the American owned clubs are trying to do. It was always the same with FFP - a lot of clubs were promised that it would stop City if they voted for it, but all it’s done is stop them competing. We were already in the castle at that point, it was a drawbridge being put up to stop others from “doing a City”. And we’re now seeing that with other clubs failing FFP, Howe mentioning he might have to sell in the summer. All FFP has done is stop teams from pushing the likes of Man United further down and keeps them in touching distance until they can stabilise. 

The American owned clubs are still desperate for this ‘Super League’ and this is just another step towards that imo. 

Anyway, good to read some of your opinions and I’m hoping City can help your owners out and the clubs work closely. 

3 minutes ago, Mase said:

a lot of terrible ones (Sibierski and Charvet spring to mind) 

Welcome. 

Le Sib surprised everyone here in turning out to be pretty useful for us. Had a classy first touch and scored some big goals.

Aye, I honestly think we’ll get the Super League, but we’ll end up with a closed Premier League.

Americans owning loads of teams now, not just the top 6. People like Parish at Palace will be happy to be locked in to the money, plus also being able to sell Palace if they are on the right side of the relegation line when it comes into play.

The Premier League will be looking at what the NFL are doing and want to have a piece of that. Bigger TV money, a Premier League online store where they sell merchandise from all the clubs directly, even games abroad.

The European teams will end up wanting to do similar and it will be go either way if they just end up replacing the Champions League, or if it’s in place of their domestic leagues.

5 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

Villa and Palace abstained like cowards.

I think Villa are like us, they don’t really agree with it, but they are less likely to want to rock the boat.

Palace love it, but for them, and for Villa, the proposed stadium infrastructure being included in your costs, fucks them over. It was only a few weeks ago that Palace had agreed to buy a car park off Sainsbury’s so they could build their new stand, it’s currently in the tender process.

Villa have had to put the brakes on their stadium improvements, despite them citing they want fans in if they get into the Champions League, I doubt that’s the reason.

Edited by Stifler

2 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

Villa and Palace abstained like cowards.

Yeah that's what I thought. City fan seems to me to be indicating it was us and city though as there were 6 teams who voted against it. 

1 minute ago, Stifler said:

I think Villa are like us, they don’t really agree with it, but they don’t want to rock the boat. Palace love it, but for them, and for Villa, the proposed stadium infrastructure being included in your costs fucks them over. It was only a few weeks ago that Palace had agreed to buy a car park off Sainsbury’s so they could build their new stand, it’s currently in the tender process. Villa have had to put the brakes on their stadium improvements, despite them citing they want fans in if they get into the Champions League, I doubt that’s the reason.

Then they should have voted no and the whole thing falls apart. 

I’m irrationally annoyed about those two just letting it go through with 12 votes [emoji38]

Just now, timeEd32 said:

Then they should have voted no and the whole thing falls apart. 

I’m irrationally annoyed about those two just letting it go through with 12 votes [emoji38]

Aye but in their defence they are looking at how the Premier League are clamping down on us as soon as a journalist says we are linked with either a player, or a sponsorship deal, they vote to block it.

I think Villa are aware of this, and are not wanting to pop their heads up incase they go after them as well.

Just now, Stifler said:

Aye but in their defence they are looking at how the Premier League are clamping down on us as soon as a journalist says we are linked with either a player, or a sponsorship deal, they vote to block it.

I think Villa are aware of this, and are not wanting to pop their heads up incase they go after them as well.

The new rules will block/hinder our progress for years that includes sponsorships. The only way to defeat the old cartel is a CAT.

20 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Yeah that's what I thought. City fan seems to me to be indicating it was us and city though as there were 6 teams who voted against it. 

Is that true? 6 teams voted against it but it was still brought in?
The Premier League doing everything the American owners want without realising it will be the end of the PL as we know it!

13 minutes ago, FloydianMag said:

The new rules will block/hinder our progress for years that includes sponsorships. The only way to defeat the old cartel is a CAT.

Shall I send out my Ellie cat, or my Bennie cat to deal with it?

38 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Welcome. 

Le Sib surprised everyone here in turning out to be pretty useful for us. Had a classy first touch and scored some big goals.

Pearce thought playing Sib LW for us would work….we didn’t score a goal at home for about 6 months! Felt like 6 years!!