Financial Fair Play / Profit & Sustainability

Mattoon

3 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Tbf Villa spent Isak money on Diaby. He doesn’t look a massive talent from the little I’ve seen.  He’s lost his place to Bailey (who himself has taken a few years to get up to speed - I always rated him though). 

True about Diaby but I can imagine he will be better next season like a lot of Bundesliga transfers. I think Barnes will too nest season however considering Leicester were relegated we paid too much. 

9 minutes ago, RS said:

image.jpeg.df52e1a0bbb59476682f3512201ceb8b.jpeg
Ahhh, just reminiscing about when FFP wasn’t a worry for us. Happy, carefree days. 

Our zenith. Llambo and Porkchop, just a couple of good lads focused on destroying the lives of hundreds of thousands of people 

1 hour ago, Keegans Export said:

Only way things will change are if the rules change and that will only happen in the courts.  Time for PIF to flex their muscle and challenge these ridiculous rules.  

17 minutes ago, duo said:

Only way things will change are if the rules change and that will only happen in the courts.  Time for PIF to flex their muscle and challenge these ridiculous rules.  

Or through patience. In the short term, buying and selling well, whilst long term revenue streams are significantly increased and the academy is overhauled.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

Or through patience. In the short term, buying and selling well, whilst long term revenue streams are significantly increased and the academy is overhauled.

Our revenue needs to increase at a faster rate than those above us in order for us to “catch up”. Anything less and we are falling further behind. 

As of the current rules, the only way we will be able to make up this ground is by trading players and trading better than anyone else does. 

For us to compete on a consistent basis the task is Herculean, the gap is huge and we are significantly behind in all aspects and that’s after we’ve dropped 400m. 

34 minutes ago, AngelofTheFourth said:

True about Diaby but I can imagine he will be better next season like a lot of Bundesliga transfers. I think Barnes will too nest season however considering Leicester were relegated we paid too much. 

Barnes had been highly rated for years and had scored 10+ goals from the wing for a few consecutive seasons prior to us signing him. £38m is not too much for a proven PL goalscorer of that age. There'd been talk of £60m valuations before Leicester got into trouble. 

Whether we should be targeting a different profile of player is a different issue but if we wanted to buy Barnes then the fee was fine. 

4 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Our revenue needs to increase at a faster rate than those above us in order for us to “catch up”. Anything less and we are falling further behind. 

As of the current rules, the only way we will be able to make up this ground is by trading players and trading better than anyone else does. 

For us to compete on a consistent basis the task is Herculean, the gap is huge and we are significantly behind in all aspects and that’s after we’ve dropped 400m. 

I don't think that's necessarily true. All clubs have a ceiling and the more revenue they make, the more creative they have to become to eek out more. 

It also depends on timescales. Give us ten years and I have no doubt we'll catch up with Spurs revenue, for example.

52 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Tbf Villa spent Isak money on Diaby. He doesn’t look a massive talent from the little I’ve seen.  He’s lost his place to Bailey (who himself has taken a few years to get up to speed - I always rated him though). 

He was effectively a right sided Barnes with more pace and even less graft.

Good finisher, decent off both feet and always looks better with space on behind.

3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I don't think that's necessarily true. All clubs have a ceiling and the more revenue they make, the more creative they have to become to eek out more. 

It also depends on timescales. Give us ten years and I have no doubt we'll catch up with Spurs revenue, for example.

Of course all clubs have the ceiling, but what’s our path to revenue growth? I can be almost certain our revenues won’t be close to spurs in 10 years. We simply don’t have a path to it imo. 

Our way to inflating our sponsors would be related party which are essentially capped, spurs have also built a stadium which prints money, meanwhile we continue to scratch our heads deciding what to do. 

Ultimately, if in a sponsor why would I sponsor us? When I can sponsor a team with a much bigger audience. 

2 hours ago, Keegans Export said:

Certainly fair to say that it hasn't just been the on-field stuff that has disappointed this season.

I'm not sure I believe this.

Silverstone's department is being built up from scratch, we're still tied into a lot of Ashley-era deals and yet revenue is still increasing substantially year on year. 

Going back to the Amazon documentary he made a point about how challenging it's been with limited resources and while the aim is to match the club's on-field success, it'll take time.

YAR will review everything, by all accounts he's a meticulous guy, but PIF have been billed as "patient longterm investors".

As fans we have a tendency to look at the club through a short term lens (see this, any transfer discussion or the Hall/Tino threads), but we've hired people who look at it with the medium to long term in mind too.

10 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Of course all clubs have the ceiling, but what’s our path to revenue growth? I can be almost certain our revenues won’t be close to spurs in 10 years. We simply don’t have a path to it imo. 

Our way to inflating our sponsors would be related party which are essentially capped, spurs have also built a stadium which prints money, meanwhile we continue to scratch our heads deciding what to do. 

Ultimately, if in a sponsor why would I sponsor us? When I can sponsor a team with a much bigger audience. 

Based on what though? 

9 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Silverstone's department is being built up from scratch, we're still tied into a lot of Ashley-era deals and yet revenue is still increasing substantially year on year. 

Going back to the Amazon documentary he made a point about how challenging it's been with limited resources and while the aim is to match the club's on-field success, it'll take time.

YAR will review everything, by all accounts he's a meticulous guy, but PIF have been billed as "patient longterm investors".

As fans we have a tendency to look at the club through a short term lens (see this, any transfer discussion or the Hall/Tino threads), but we've hired people who look at it with the medium to long term in mind too.

And looks like the club are in the midst of fully developing their retail team, seen plenty of retail jobs listed recently. Surely that will help with the ol’ FFP/PSR when it’s brought back in house

46 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

With every season the gap will just get bigger

20 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Related party sponsors are not our only way, would we have got a £40m per season deal with Adidas without the 'strategic partnership' with Sela?

Spurs' Nike deal is apparently £30m per season (although might have increased since they signed it in 2019) and Villa's Adidas deal is reported to be £12m.

24 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

They've definitely had to build from scratch, that's fair. 

I have been a little disappointed that we've had nothing about a new training ground. Of course something could certainly be rumbling along in the background that hasn't been made public yet.

I had also hoped for a bit more sponsorship income, we've had very little this season aside from the Adidas deal.

52 minutes ago, Interpolic said:

Barnes had been highly rated for years and had scored 10+ goals from the wing for a few consecutive seasons prior to us signing him. £38m is not too much for a proven PL goalscorer of that age. There'd been talk of £60m valuations before Leicester got into trouble. 

Whether we should be targeting a different profile of player is a different issue but if we wanted to buy Barnes then the fee was fine. 

The problem with his fee is that it’s a the higher end of his potential value.  We didn’t get any type of ‘distress sale’ discount.  Like Maddison is probably a £60m-70m talent available for £45m.  

49 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Based on what though? 

It’s based upon the issues I’ve outlined previously. 

Yes, we still have some low hanging fruit such as training ground and Training kit (I’m guessing stadium is a no go) but once we sign them deals the path to growing revenue will slow. We’ve had some great free hits with Adidas Sela and noon but they’ve all been signed now. 

The biggest brands want to be linked to the highest clubs and in order to be become one of the big boys we need success. We can’t obtain that consistently because we have a small budget it’s a vicious cycle. 

I don’t want to be negative but I’m yet to come across a theory which I believe is more realistic.

our growth model will be player trading and that’s fraught with its own dangers. 

34 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

Related party sponsors are not our only way, would we have got a £40m per season deal with Adidas without the 'strategic partnership' with Sela?

Spurs' Nike deal is apparently £30m per season (although might have increased since they signed it in 2019) and Villa's Adidas deal is reported to be £12m.

This is one deal which we don’t know the details of and it’s obviously an optimistic once. If we aren’t successful when it’s up for renewal I want expect it to be renewed at the same valuation. 

Also lovely, we have a good kit deal. We still need to find another 200m per annum to get on the level of the lowest big six 6 clubs. 

This is all fantasy / hypothetical but let’s say there’s a new stadium announced in the summer, takes three year to build, 75,000 seater, we give naming rights to a huge sponsor, we have major entertainment events on regularly, surely this does a lot of work bridging the gap right? A lot hangs on the stadium surely and the owners will know that too