Financial Fair Play / Profit & Sustainability

Mattoon

40 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Incidentally, I think it’s the sponsors themselves who should take action.

I have said this before, but let’s say I’m a multi-millionaire/billionaire. I want to sponsor NUFC, either on the shirt or by other sponsorship. Let’s say I want to give them £50m for it. I pay more than another company because I have an emotional connection to the club. That little bit more could see us achieve our targets, or exceed them, and in my view that’s my money well spent.

Imagine if the Premier League said no, but I could sponsor Liverpool in the same manner for £50m. Well no, that’s not money well spent in my opinion. How come I can sponsor 1 club and give them an advantage, but not another, or the team who I support?

This wouldn’t work, as sponsors can give whatever money they want, they are not restricted. Just the Clubs can’t use it in their PSR calculations.

The sponsorship rule definitely has its weak points and City seem to think it can be challenged though 

If Man City manage to have their cases reduced to just fraud (I know) - then the odds are they will escape any punishment. I think the stats of successful fraud convictions is in the single digits percentage wise - as always our Abu Dhabi neighbours are playing a blinder. 

46 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

All the ruling is telling the PL is to ensure that their drafting is watertight - they haven’t been told by the Appeals Board that the rules in principle are a problem.

The PL’s reaction is more likely to be to tighten, not relax, the rules. 

At some point you'd think the PL (both the member clubs and actual leaders/employees) would like to stop spending most of their time talking about financial regulation and lawsuits.

But in reality the thing that will likely break it all down is Man United and a couple others complaining enough that they can't compete with the top European sides.

2 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

At some point you'd think the PL (both the member clubs and actual leaders/employees) would like to stop spending most of their time talking about financial regulation and lawsuits.

But in reality the thing that will likely break it all down is Man United and a couple others complaining enough that they can't compete with the top European sides.

As the rules are being aligned with UEFA rules this won’t happen. 

What will be bittersweet is Liverpool, Spurs and Man Utd will find they are in the same boat in the CL as Newcastle int the PL, as Real Madrid (& Barca if they sort their act) have such a massive advantage

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

We should hear something about City's FVM challenge any day now. Intrigued to see what success they've had.

All we will hear is how that a result isn't anywhere near and the case will go on for several more months, if not years

2 hours ago, FloydianMag said:

Well City, us, Everton, Forest and now LCFC all it would take is a bit of lobbying to get another 2 clubs onboard and they could prevent rule changes if it didn’t benefit them.

I'm yet to see NUFC jump on board with any of this.  It has already been pointed out elsewhere, but I'd be willing to bet that PIF aren't going to rock the boat whatsoever, though no doubt would be perfectly happy if the rules were changed.

They've been owners for three years now, and have shown zero inclination to do anything whatsoever about any of this.

20 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

All we will hear is how that a result isn't anywhere near and the case will go on for several more months, if not years

There will be a ruling on it, it isn't something which is able to rumble on.  But it did seem to me that the scope was very narrow - it isn't like to be the 'magic bullet' that many of us would hope it is.

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

We should hear something about City's FVM challenge any day now. Intrigued to see what success they've had.

Not sure we will.Think it’s kept confidential and only sign of who won will be revealed when the next PL rule book is revealed. I could be wrong mind.

2 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Not sure we will.Think it’s kept confidential and only sign of who won will be revealed when the next PL rule book is revealed. I could be wrong mind.

That's right - though we'll no doubt see it leaked by the 'winning' side in the press

3 hours ago, Andy said:

Might not be "big news" for us, but nonetheless it's nice to see the Premier League getting fucked. The fact they're seething at not being able to dock a club points tells you all you need to know about the organisation. They couldn't give a fuck about the game itself. 

I know. I heard an intro to a conversation on TV tonight talk about the Premier League urgently coming up with more rules to close loop holes, and I can see that but its almost normalised that a league would be desperate to punish clubs in it, rather than absurd and maniacal. 

Nobody can genuinely think they're toiling over this or anything else for 'the good of the game'.

Edited by Jonas

5 minutes ago, Jonas said:

I know. I heard an intro to a conversation on TV tonight talk about the Premier League urgently coming up with more rules to close loop holes, and I can see that but its almost normalised that a league would be desperate to punish clubs in it, rather than absurd and maniacal

It’s important to remember the shareholders of the leagues are the clubs, so when you see something like this it’s the club that will it. 

1 hour ago, LFEE said:

Won't wait for the next book, there will be pretty immediate amendments to the current rule book. The rules have to be compliant to British Law, and if they are not, then they will have to be amended pretty immediately as I've already said. According to the financial experts and the mainline media, they were expecting a decision very soon, when they were reporting on it a couple of weeks ago. 

1 hour ago, andycap said:

Where do the fines get paid for these ffp sanctions? If the Premier league get the payments then it's no wonder there going all out to fine and dock any bugger. 

The FA, not the PL, is the recipient of the fines.  They get distributed amongst the football pyramid in the same way as the rest of the FA's income does

7 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I'm yet to see NUFC jump on board with any of this.  It has already been pointed out elsewhere, but I'd be willing to bet that PIF aren't going to rock the boat whatsoever, though no doubt would be perfectly happy if the rules were changed.

They've been owners for three years now, and have shown zero inclination to do anything whatsoever about any of this.

Didn’t NUFC vote with City against the APT rules that City challenged which squeaked through after Palace and Villa abstained? Had they voted against the new APT rule wouldn’t have even been a thing?

Edited by FloydianMag

7 hours ago, LFEE said:

That's right, but I'd wager the winning party will leak it the press.

24 minutes ago, 500bhp said:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/aston-villa-premier-league-transfer-33593600

The same story is being reported across a few papers this morning. Villa were also very close to a 10 points PSR, hence the Luiz sale on 30th June. 

Vidagany added that in football’s ‘jungle’ a few Premier League rivals tried to take advantage. He said: “But at that moment, there were a few clubs in a weak position. Everyone knows the clubs who had the same problem.

"There was some talk of doing deals with some clubs that would have helped us financially but we were never going to buy a useless player to solve it. There was massive pressure.

Feels Vlad man :anguish:  

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

Feels Vlad man :anguish:  

The whole thing is grim. Villa should have been celebrating CL qualification and building but instead they’re having to fend off opportunist Cartel Clubs amidst the rules they’ve cooked up to benefit them.

Just now, Nucasol said:

The whole thing is grim. Villa should have been celebrating CL qualification and building but instead they’re having to fend off opportunist Cartel Clubs amidst the rules they’ve cooked up to benefit them.

Couldn’t agree more, it’s a joke to be frank. 

I could kinda almost not really understand it Clubs like ourselves had spend 3 times those Cartel clubs but it’s simply not the case. 

But again, I must tip my hat to those clubs because they’ve executed what is a fantastic stitch up for themselves which won’t be undone because finding an alternative which is actually fair will not pass.