Financial Fair Play / Profit & Sustainability

Mattoon

10 minutes ago, FloydianMag said:

The Reubens are worth £24 billion in their own right!!

I've got nearly £40 so I'll chuck that in if we can get John Stones 

3 minutes ago, Turnbull2000 said:

That's some gap. We're never closing that under the current rules.

_133080015_matchdaycommercial-ampbroadca

Just goes to show how little matchday income is the main factor - it's all on broadcast and (mainly) commercial income

1 minute ago, Abacus said:

Just goes to show how little matchday income is the main factor - it's all on broadcast and (mainly) commercial income

So what do the cartel do……..bring in FMV and related party sponsorship rules to strangle our commercial activity. Cunts.

3 minutes ago, Abacus said:

Was making this point in the SJP thread the other day, it's peanuts in the grand scheme of things and we'd be losing one of the best things we have to get it.

That's misleading though because some matchday things show up in commercial and any use of the stadium that isn't a club's games is going to fall into commercial.

12 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Was making this point in the SJP thread the other day, it's peanuts in the grand scheme of things and we'd be losing one of the best things we have to get it.

It isn’t peanuts, though.  Much of the commercial revenue comes via the stadium, and our current match day revenues are below West Ham.  

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

It isn’t peanuts, though.  Much of the commercial revenue comes via the stadium, and our current match day revenues are below West Ham.  

Yes it is 

Is that a London spend thing as in should we charge more for a pint etc?

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

Yes it is 

Having half the match day revenue of the nearest ‘big six club’ isn’t peanuts, and again - a significant portion of ‘commercial revenue’ comes from the stadium, not kit sponsorship etc.  That’s how Spurs’ commercial revenue dwarfs Arsenal and Chelsea - it’s their stadium doing that.  You don’t think Spurs get more sponsorship money than two more successful London clubs?

1 minute ago, madras said:

Is that a London spend thing as in should we charge more for a pint etc?

In part - but also from other commercial uses of the stadium.  Events, club shops, restaurants, corporate etc

This Stack thing will come under our commercial revenues right? And the Adidas mega store?

A few extra million hoyed on.

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

Having half the match day revenue of the nearest ‘big six club’ isn’t peanuts, and again - a significant portion of ‘commercial revenue’ comes from the stadium, not kit sponsorship etc.  That’s how Spurs’ commercial revenue dwarfs Arsenal and Chelsea - it’s their stadium doing that.  You don’t think Spurs get more sponsorship money than two more successful London clubs?

It's peanuts for everyone. And particularly worthless if it means losing SJP.

3 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

In part - but also from other commercial uses of the stadium.  Events, club shops, restaurants, corporate etc

Got to say the club are trying, the food in Shearers is canny good. Their burgers are as good if not better than some other places I could mention (cough....five guys). Get some better beers in and they could be on to something 

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Honestly, I don’t know what you mean by peanuts.  We might be talking close to a nine figure sum in additional potential revenue.

I can understand you’re attached to SJP, but to me the income differences are so vast that they cannot be made up by staying. 

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

At some level I can see that argument. For example, the ~£20m gap between Liverpool and Arsenal being worth preserving Anfield. 

But the gap from us to Chelsea is the equivalent of our front of shirt and sleeve sponsors. No one would describe those as meaningless.

The difference between us and Man United or Spurs is the equivalent of selling a Bruno or Isak every season.

3 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I thought match day revenue included the price of tickets, pints, corporate boxes etc. Could be wrong, though.

Commercial income would include sponsorships (which you could still do with a suitably rebuilt stadium), concerts (likewise), hotels and all the 50ps earnt from go-karting.

A different stadium in the same city doesn't mean you have access to the same concerts, the same hotel traffic, the same business events as you do in London. I think it's a false argument to say you could match the income from the Spurs stadium here, but maybe that's for another thread 

Honestly, I don’t know what you mean by peanuts.  We might be talking close to a nine figure sum in additional potential revenue.

I can understand you’re attached to SJP, but to me the income differences are so vast that they cannot be made up by staying. 

Are you sure? If the Gallowgate is expanded, the Leazes extended backwards so more social space, much of The Milburn has loads of corporate areas already but they need to be done better, quality to start with,  better than just pie or hot dog type thing when there is more space and better beers etc. I've noticed some Brewdog has sneaked in of late.

2 minutes ago, Abacus said:

I thought match day revenue included the price of tickets, pints, corporate boxes etc. Could be wrong, though.

Commercial income would include sponsorships (which you could still do with a suitably rebuilt stadium), concerts (likewise), hotels and all the 50ps earnt from go-karting.

A different stadium in the same city doesn't mean you have access to the same concerts, the same hotel traffic, the same business events as you do in London. I think it's a false argument to say you could match the income from the Spurs stadium here, but maybe that's for another thread 

Yes, all comparisons to London need to have some context applied. But it's not even about matching. We are currently facing an annual deficit of £200m-400m plus in matchday + commercial revenue. No matter what the PL and UEFA rules are the business side of the club needs to be spending every waking hour figuring out how to make that gap smaller every year.

Probably an extra 50 million-ish a season best case scenario while the top 6 are at least 130 million a season ahead through commercial revenue.

And in the meantime there's the possibility of FFP reform. 

7 minutes ago, madras said:

Are you sure? If the Gallowgate is expanded, the Leazes extended backwards so more social space, much of The Milburn has loads of corporate areas already but they need to be done better, quality to start with,  better than just pie or hot dog type thing when there is more space and better beers etc. I've noticed some Brewdog has sneaked in of late.

Yeah, I’m pretty confident on this one.  The ground isn’t built to maximise corporate revenues in line with other modern stadiums.  The Gallowgate extension would only bring in a few more million per season, and drinks and pies are only a thin strand of commercials

1 minute ago, timeEd32 said:

Yes, all comparisons to London need to have some context applied. But it's not even about matching. We are currently facing an annual deficit of £200m-400m plus in matchday + commercial revenue. No matter what the PL and UEFA rules are the business side of the club needs to be spending every waking hour figuring out how to make that gap smaller every year.

I'm pretty sure they are and isn't that figure from the last accounts which shown a sharp increase and itsbquite possible those for the financial year just gone will as well?

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

Probably an extra 50 million-ish a season best case scenario while the top 6 are at least 130 million a season ahead through commercial revenue.

And in the meantime there's the possibility of FFP reform. 

I still think it would be more, but £50m per season isn’t buttons

Yeah, I’m pretty confident on this one.  The ground isn’t built to maximise corporate revenues in line with other modern stadiums.  The Gallowgate extension would only bring in a few more million per season, and drinks and pies are only a thin strand of commercials

In what way? I don't think they bought the St James' metro site just to put a Stack there.