Financial Fair Play / Profit & Sustainability

Mattoon

Any rule that encourages clubs to sell their home grown players clearly isn't fit for purpose.  The whole thing has become a joke - there isn't any other business in the world that punishes Billionaires investing in their company. It is insane.  

2 minutes ago, duo said:

..could argue we have had to already with ASM - £35mil I think was cheap

We did that later in the window. That allowed additional transfers.

Villa are doing it in June because if they don't, they will get a points deduction. They've gone over the limit and need a sale of a 90% amortised player to get them back in the PSR black.

7 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

They won't ever.

A lot of club owners like this setup. 6+14 like Ashley did. He was on the gravy train. Brighton have basically hacked the transfer market. Brighton qualified for Europe and sold £150m worth of player. They didn't bother reinvesting it all. No desire to kick-on.

The Brighton project will end in tears.

I’ve seen it all before, and not just at NUFC.

To be perfectly honest, they’ll probably never qualify for Europe again, unless they lucked a cup win.

Just now, Stifler said:

To be perfectly honest, they’ll probably never qualify for Europe again, unless they lucked a cup win.

which is even harder now they have introduced seeding into the Carabao cup

49 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

PSR is shit. Villa have had to flog one of their key players on the cheap to avoid a points fine next season.

Fit for purpose then. 

1 hour ago, Nucasol said:

Undoubtedly as all they care about is making more of that sweet, sweet money. ROI baby.

I’d argue they’re just bad for society in general, the massive pack of dickheads they are.

They're sociopaths like. Cut you at the knees whilst smiling wearing khaki's and a polo shirt. 

Its ridiculous. Villa and Forest speculated to accumalate and won. The money Forest will now have from 3seasons of PL football and quite probably more to come justifies their stake. Villa could theoretically be in and out the CL for a few years to come and make back the outlay they're being punished for.

Just shows as much as they push the idea of growing organically they actually prohibit that too.

13 minutes ago, Stifler said:

They've already won.

They are like a budget Spurs. The key objectives have long been realised financially. Stadium there. Repute their. Valuation skyrocketed since the owners bought it. Them finishing 6th is like when Spurs got to the CL final. Zero ambition to consolidate and kick-on.

Spurs, Brighton and Brentford have the lowest wages to revenue ratios in the league. Owners laughing to the bank.

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

PSR is shit. Villa have had to flog one of their key players on the cheap to avoid a points fine next season.

Working as intended the cheeky upstarts that have the audacity to challenge the 'Big Clubs' have to sell their best players to the 'Big Clubs' to stop them competing, despite the 'Big Clubs' benefitting years ago from exactly what PSR has fictionally came in to prevent.

Only a matter of time before the shit hits the fan, its 100% anti competition to prevent a business from investing to improve, doesn't matter what the business is.

Anyone else hoping that City and Villa don't unlock Pandora's box and allow a free for all?

The rules need updating to allow for growth, but sustainability needs to underpin all of that and we do need to stop financial doping as it's essentially cheating anyway. 

1 minute ago, Thumbheed said:

Anyone else hoping that City and Villa don't unlock Pandora's box and allow a free for all?

The rules need updating to allow for growth, but sustainability needs to underpin all of that and we do need to stop financial doping as it's essentially cheating anyway. 

I understand that sentiment but what is worse, rules keeping a handful of clubs at the top or a free-for-all like it was before FFP/PSR?

30 minutes ago, McDog said:

I understand that sentiment but what is worse, rules keeping a handful of clubs at the top or a free-for-all like it was before FFP/PSR?

Free for all, by far. And it's not even close. 

Can easily make the argument that allowing uncapped spending would put us, PSG and City on a completely different plane to the rest of the clubs and make it even less competitive than it is now, which in itself would be total hypocrisy. 

Furthermore the implications of uncapped spending could be detrimental to the market and  more importantly the fans. If a nation is allowed to spend whatever they want then why would they care what the fans think or want? 

And tbf, I did say they need updating to allow for competition to grow but not at the behest of the above.

Edited by Thumbheed

If the way it was for 120years until a few years ago is worse than now we wouldn't be here.

Hope and dreams played a big part in fandom, gets people through (its all that kept us going through the Ashley era) 'One day' will become 'never, no matter who owns you'. Dominant eras becomes dominant forever.

Edited by Wolfcastle

32 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

Nope sorry 

1 hour ago, duo said:

..could argue we have had to already with ASM - £35mil I think was cheap

Yeah good point. Had to sell ASM just to allow us to strengthen the squad (ASM out, Barnes & Livramento in). It's not fit for purpose. 

I think encasing the freedom for owners to spend equal amounts needs to come in. Allowing us or Villa or anyone else to have unlimited spending is not acceptable, it'll make it purely a richest owner contest. That said deliberately not allowing richer owners to invest more just solidifies the status quo and the same teams are untouchable. 

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

They've already won.

They are like a budget Spurs. The key objectives have long been realised financially. Stadium there. Repute their. Valuation skyrocketed since the owners bought it. Them finishing 6th is like when Spurs got to the CL final. Zero ambition to consolidate and kick-on.

Spurs, Brighton and Brentford have the lowest wages to revenue ratios in the league. Owners laughing to the bank.

Think some clubs know their place and just want to be comfortable mid table.

The Charlton of the 90s... Bobbing along midtable, went for it in one season, failed and never come back.

37 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

I don't like either option, so hard to say. Problem is that the rules simply won't change in a way that could threaten the elite.

Edited by Erikse

6 minutes ago, Erikse said:

I don't like either option, so hard to say. Problem is that the rules simply won't change in a way that could threaten the elite.

I don't think there's any question in anyone's mind that the rules are anti competitive, even the fans of the clubs that benefit are coming round to that idea, but I don't disagree with the supposed principles of them. 

I can't reconcile arguing against rules in their current form as anti competitive, whilst also arguing for rules which would make even fewer clubs competitive. As I said in my earlier post that would be purely hypocritical.