Financial Fair Play / Profit & Sustainability

Mattoon

2 hours ago, Ben said:

Questions starting to be asked about fair market value.

Fuck .....right.......off

Of course it’s fair market value. PSR is a reality of the market now, and it should surprise nobody that player prices are shifting to adjust to demand that is arising under the new rules.

53 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

So we were expecting to double our commercial revenue in June but the PL blocked it?

Yeah, not buying that at all tbh.  Our shirt sponsorship (the biggest sponsor we could have) is 25m, the kit deal is worth up to 40m, and Minteh and Anderson brought in about those numbers combined.  What exactly were we sponsoring to bring in that kind of money?

We could have training kit, training ground, couple of the executive boxes etc which combine could come to £30m if we are testing boundaries

Honestly, those are good prices for the two we sold so if there's a couple of nice sponsorship deals to come on top of that we might be able to make some genuine noise in the transfer market.

Fingers crossed, anyway. Frustrating as fuck that we've had to sell an exciting young RW when it's arguably our weakest spot in the starting 11.

1 hour ago, oldtype said:

Of course it’s fair market value. PSR is a reality of the market now, and it should surprise nobody that player prices are shifting to adjust to demand that is arising under the new rules.

How can the Brighton deal not be - it was an outright sale, quid pro quo there

Must be a bit shit to be on holiday (or wherever) and your agent rings you and says your employer doesnt want you cos of a potential points deduction.

I really hope the leadership team have sat down with the players at some point and explained all this to them and that they may be sacrificed in the next window for non football reasons.

Whole thing is nuts.

4 hours ago, Lazarus said:

Must be a bit shit to be on holiday (or wherever) and your agent rings you and says your employer doesnt want you cos of a potential points deduction.

I really hope the leadership team have sat down with the players at some point and explained all this to them and that they may be sacrificed in the next window for non football reasons.

Whole thing is nuts.

Quote from Bruno towards the end of last season suggests so?

Screenshot_20240701-053247.png

I’m confused as to how our financial deficit was so big and how fine we were cutting it right down to the last few days of this cut off? I don’t agree with PSR but we also know the rules. They must’ve been aware of figures months and months ago. I’ve heard rumours we had two commercial deals lined up but they’ve been delayed (blocked?) which knackered us. I’d like to think something like this was more the issue. Someone with greater understanding of this can probably explain it to me. 

Either way I hope we can move on from this. We can’t be doing this each bloody year though. 

Edited by ExiledGeordie

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

While it does seem we got into a bit of a mess, it does seem that we are exaggerating it.

It all comes in very handy when building an anti-PSR narrative.

I don’t think so, having to find 60m plus in a day is massively concerning. And this anti psr narrative is of little value given the mechanisms that existing to actually change the rules. 

Ive questioned so many times where the revenue will come from to allow us to compete and I’m still none the wiser. 

2 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

I don’t think so, having to find 60m plus in a day is massively concerning. And this anti psr narrative is of little value given the mechanisms that existing to actually change the rules. 

Ive questioned so many times where the revenue will come from to allow us to compete and I’m still none the wiser. 

How did they allow it to get to that critical point though? Someone’ or several people have cocked there surely? 

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

It'll take time and patience for sure.

Incredible that it was left so late to balance the books. Were they banking on Bruno's clause being activated? 

Fingers crossed harsh lessons have been learnt though.

Just now, ExiledGeordie said:

How did they allow it to get to that critical point though? Someone’ or several people have cocked there surely? 

No, I don’t think of it like that. Could we have competed without the level of investment over these 3 years? Probably not. Football is a very fluid industry I think we took a conscious decision to push all the way until we no longer could and that was yesterday. Ultimately the funds invested are what’s allowed us to buy players who are now worth more than what we paid. 

As long as we continue to do that and us as fans accept we have to sell some every now and again until our revenue is on par then that’s what we have to do, it’s our only path. 

The only critique I actually have is the money left on the table via not signing up more commercial partners for training ground, stadium  and training kit. Also we need a new stadium which can drive revenue like spurs stadium does for then. 

19 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

While it does seem we got into a bit of a mess, it does seem that we are exaggerating it.

It all comes in very handy when building an anti-PSR narrative.

I think 10 points would be a bit much but consider (and I know I keep banging on about this) Everton were going to get 5pts for their second deduction and that was for being £16m over.

The only reason it got reduced was because they had already been deducted points last season and they had lost income from Usmanov being sanctioned by the Government.

5 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Reading that article, it seems we’re still not 100% sure we’ve avoided breaching the PSR limit? Yikes.

Impossible for journalists to know for sure, but you can guarantee our financial department will know exactly where we stand, that's another remain why I feel there's a touch of deliberate exaggeration. Even if it is a mess regardless.