Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

29 minutes ago, Hovagod said:

Not sure if moving the away fans would be a popular idea or not, but I would definitely be in favour of it. 

Ideally they could go in the corner just under the Sky Studios as that is the biggest corner by far as it also has a Level 4 whereas the other 3 corners are are only Level 2. Think it holds around 3k. I remember Arsenal fans were put there for a League Cup game about 12/13 years ago and they had 3,500 fans there with a small overspill into the Leazes End. Having home fans either side of them as well as above them would be canny as well I reckon. I've never been keen on having away fans above us and as we improve and become more disliked it could well cause more problems. I assume everyone seen the disgraceful scenes the other week at the Etihad where several home fans, including a young girl, were badly injured by Liverpool fans throwing objects (including a pint glass filled with 1p and 2p coins) down onto home fans below.

Clearly the problem with that though is that the Platinum Club fans would kick up a fuss paying £1k a season to have away fans abusing them every week so it's a non starter really.

Edited by Wallsendmag

2 hours ago, Wallsendmag said:

You mean the bit where it goes, "full of shit, full of puffs, full of wankers?

Tbf I can see where you're coming from there. Don't think it would go down at all well these days.

Change the second bit to cunts and it's a goer and more accurate.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

28 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Nah, again I disagree. If you look at Man Utd, and even Liverpool these days, what their fans do to keep an atmosphere going is get their songbook going. It's the perfect way to keep an atmosphere bubbling along, even if a game is poor, and it kills me to admit it but Man U do it really well. Even Liverpool have been pretty good when I watch them at Anfield, as they get the "Allez, Allez" song, or the "Jurgen said to me...." one going around the stadium to give it a lift.

Because we have almost completely lost our old classic songbook, then when a game goes flat, the place just goes silent.

There's two ways to make an atmosphere. One is getting raucous in reaction to match events, and the other is having a sing-song when the match goes flat. We have lost the ability to do the latter.

Fair enough. I’ve never come away from Old Trafford or Anfield thinking we need an atmosphere more like that.

4 minutes ago, NUFC91 said:

I think the song book arguement would go out the window with standing/singing section. Doesnt take long for it to spread when you have right minded people together.

Agreed. The Dan Burn song (great song imo), was a few lads in the back of a minibus who started it and then tweeted it. 

An actual section could do this every other week.

4 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

Agreed. The Dan Burn song (great song imo), was a few lads in the back of a minibus who started it and then tweeted it. 

100% this. We could do with a few committed souls taking videos of songs and chants at away matches/retweeting videos of old atmospheres. 

4 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

Exactly, another point regarding leazes whenever i try to buy tickets for mates at member sale, 95% are in leazes so surely far less seat moves required?

5 hours ago, Wandy said:

I disagree I'm afraid. 25 years ago we had a varied songbook that got aired at most games. Now we've got 3 songs in total, and they are all shit.

The atmosphere would go quiet in games back then too, but not in the way it does now. We are literally kicking off games this season and you hear a pin drop right from the referee's whistle. It's painful to witness.

We had the exact same arguements back then and I specifically remember getting disillusioned with it myself like people are now.

Rose tinted a lot of this as well as overly self-critical. Nowhere is bouncing for every game, generally its got to be something that motivates like a big game, threat or a special performance. As teams improve there is less of them. Man United and Arsenal have gone back to come forward but those places have been abysmal for 20years previously out of expectancy.

Edited by Jonas

5 hours ago, Hovagod said:

Not sure if moving the away fans would be a popular idea or not, but I would definitely be in favour of it. 

Actually the best the atmosphere probably ever was at SJP was when there were no away fans for half season in 93/94 and they were an irrelevance the year before too when the atmosphere was great also.

There'll be a couple hundred people sit near the away fans for the goading but it wont change much. Always think of Norwich and about thirty in the corner of their end behind the goal bantering with the away fans but its not going to motivate someone on the other side of the ground.

30 minutes ago, Jonas said:

Actually the best the atmosphere probably ever was at SJP was when there were no away fans for half season in 93/94 and they were an irrelevance the year before too when the atmosphere was great also.

There'll be a couple hundred people sit near the away fans for the goading but it wont change much. Always think of Norwich and about thirty in the corner of their end behind the goal bantering with the away fans but its not going to motivate someone on the other side of the ground.

Nah, we were largely silent even for the semi-final v Southampton man. It might never have been perfect back in the day but there's no way a 1990s/2000s SJP would have been so mute for such a big occasion.

5 minutes ago, Bellis80 said:

We played a champions league qualifier with about 10,000 empty seats 20 years ago never mind the atmosphere being loads better. It’s total bollocks.

Means nothing. You can still easily have a better atmosphere in a stadium with 30k people in than one with 50k in it. Reduction of numbers doesn't necessarily equate to a degradation in atmosphere.

3 hours ago, Jonas said:

We had the exact same arguements back then and I specifically remember getting disillusioned with it myself like people are now.

Rose tinted a lot of this as well as overly self-critical. Nowhere is bouncing for every game, generally its got to be something that motivates like a big game, threat or a special performance. As teams improve there is less of them. Man United and Arsenal have gone back to come forward but those places have been abysmal for 20years previously out of expectancy.

We’ve never had a support so poor at a neutral venue as we did on Sunday. Granted nowhere is bouncing every game but even a big game like Southampton recently was poor, if folk weren’t up for that then we’ve got serious problems.

The common denominator in these places where the atmosphere has improved is large groups of fans standing and congregated in the same area. 

I think the opposite to yourself it’s time to be critical, our support is piss poor compared to some other teams at the minute, both vocally and in terms of songbook. 

I'll say it then, if nobody else will.

We need a new stadium.

Some people think the current stadium is some holy site. It's really not, the atmosphere needs a lot of work, the acoustics are shite.

A new stadium is desperately needed.

4 hours ago, Mountain said:

I'll say it then, if nobody else will.

We need a new stadium.

Some people think the current stadium is some holy site. It's really not, the atmosphere needs a lot of work, the acoustics are shite.

A new stadium is desperately needed.

I'm not one of these who thinks SJP is sacred and we 100% should never leave it, as it's completely unrecognisable from when I started going there 40 years ago. It sits on the same patch of land and that's it.

However some flat-pack put of town stadium is definitely not the way to go. If we can't get castle Leazes or the Arena site a new stadium is a no go as far as I'm concerned.

As I said further up, extending the Gallowgate in line with Leazes and Milburn would give SJP an identical design and capacity to Celtic Park and they have no issues in generating an atmosphere when need be. Ultimately it's about getting as many like minded people as is physically possible all in the same area and in theory everything should fit into place after that.

The annoying thing about “who’s tgsf team is we only sing the one verse” we don’t sing the Joe Harvey went on holiday bit or bringing on the “Spaniards by the score”.

I used ti like my old man and Frank clerk knas my father.

the spontaneity seems to have gone. I remember being at Zulte Waregem away and our whole end singing Gloria Gaynors “I will survive” after it had started to be played at the end of the half time break and when the dj stopped playing we all carried on acapella! Drink had been taken…

10 minutes ago, OCOCOL said:

The annoying thing about “who’s tgsf team is we only sing the one verse” we don’t sing the Joe Harvey went on holiday bit or bringing on the “Spaniards by the score”.

I used ti like my old man and Frank clerk knas my father.

the spontaneity seems to have gone. I remember being at Zulte Waregem away and our whole end singing Gloria Gaynors “I will survive” after it had started to be played at the end of the half time break and when the dj stopped playing we all carried on acapella! Drink had been taken…

There can't be many opening lines better than 'My old man said be a Sunlun fan, I said fuck off fatha yar a cunt '

Just to defend our songbook a little bit even though I agree it’s poor. The only places that have a decent one imo are Manchester United and Liverpool. Most clubs just sing generic shite or copy of someone else.

15 minutes ago, Rafalove said:

Just to defend our songbook a little bit even though I agree it’s poor. The only places that have a decent one imo are Manchester United and Liverpool. Most clubs just sing generic shite or copy of someone else.

These 2 are clearly the best but for me it’s about just acknowledging our history and being proud of where we’re from. We are a unique club in my opinion and I think we’re in danger of becoming a generic fanbase.

I can forgive the Bruno in the middle generic shite, if it was mixed in with traditional stuff like Blaydon Races and Howay The Lads.

Im just fearful that the current fan base is losing touch with our heritage. I don’t hear Leeds fans not sing marching on, or even Man City fans not singing Blue Moon.

After we scored at St James, or near the end of a match we were about to win you’d always hear the Blaydon Races.

On 02/03/2023 at 13:49, NUFC91 said:

Oh when the mags

Blaydon races

We love you newcastle

N and an e

Whos that team

We are the geordies

Howay the lads

We hate nottingham forest

We are the geordies the cock of north

They call us newcastle united.

The fullwell end

If you proud to be a geordie clap ya hands

Any obrien

If you want to go to heaven when ya die (black and white bonnet) 

United united united

We are the geordies of nufc

Somebody stole my sombrero

Terry hibert

Ginola (lola)

Ex players/players andy cole etc.

These were all sang up in level 7 amongst others.. give me that any day of week...

Its simple what we need to do..get the lads together who want to stand amd educate youth..its possible.

Some classics in there, Sombrero being a personal favourite.:thup:

Can I add "We've travelled far and wide" as an oldie but a goodie, still gets an airing on the bus but never heard it for years in any ground.

Love that first one with two halves singing almost against each each other to be the loudest, 

and the "Give us an N" with one or two blokes calling the letter's and the response.

Basically get "Tommy" back in the Gallowgate singing "Little White Bull" and I'll be happy.:lol:

Edited by Doc

34 minutes ago, Doc said:

Some classics in there, Sombrero being a personal favourite.:thup:

Can I add "We've travelled far and wide" as an oldie but a goodie, still gets an airing on the bus but never heard it for years in any ground.

Love that first one with two halves singing almost against each each other to be the loudest, 

and the "Give us an N" with one or two blokes calling the letter's and the response.

Basically get "Tommy" back in the Gallowgate singing "Little White Bull" and I'll be happy.:lol:

Takes me back to my old Gallowgate days of the 80s and where I get my user name from talking about those old songs. Was full of characters conducting the singing while perched on the concrete crush barriers, fists clenched and punching the air. Loved the old "Al give you an N" song. With a wubble u, wubble u in the middle. 1234 listen to the geordies roar at the end. Simple but a classic. 

1 hour ago, Scoreboard82 said:

Takes me back to my old Gallowgate days of the 80s and where I get my user name from talking about those old songs. Was full of characters conducting the singing while perched on the concrete crush barriers, fists clenched and punching the air. Loved the old "Al give you an N" song. With a wubble u, wubble u in the middle. 1234 listen to the geordies roar at the end. Simple but a classic. 

Never heard these. Exactly the sort of stuff @NUFC91is going on about. We can learn and sing this if there’s a group of us all and it will come back to mainstream In the ground imo