Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

I guess it was because of how up for it everyone was against PSG from the first tackle. I know the goals helped in the end. But I don’t think it is unreasonable to expect something at least similar to that. 

FWIW, it sounded ok on the TV at times first half. But after they scored. You only heard them and their fucking annoying drum. Save for the odd COOOOMMMMEEEE OOOONNNNN when we won a corner or something. Followed by silence 5 seconds later. 

3 minutes ago, NUFC91 said:

Spot on, I think the trust/trusts need to push hard for seat moves. Anyone who wants to stand and create a noise needs to be together.

Too many boring moaning bastards

Totally agree, the majority would stay in the strawberry corner anyway but others can move if they don’t want to be part of a singing section. There needs to be a fuss kicked up about the seating arrangements and the club need to know fans are frustrated they can’t generate an atmosphere they want.

Imo an absolute must is a second singing section near the away fans. Interaction with them is a big way to get the atmospheres going.

2 minutes ago, wormy said:

Yeah I find it strange that there seem to a number talking as if shite atmosphere hasn't been a problem before this season. Granted there wasn't previously as much on pitch success to rally behind but I still came away from matches many a time thinking how shite the bulk of our fans had been.

Part of the problem this season is that the areas of the ground that were making an effort to create noise have been being diluted. Off the top of my head:

There's primary school aged kids being allocated seats in Gallowgate safe standing

Seated blocks adjacent to safe standing where people stood and created loads of noise have had letters from the club telling them to sit down or be banned

Lads were gathering together in the Leazes and forming a little singing section last season, they now can't get seats together cos of the ballot

We were seeing some positive signs, but PSG aside, this season has been shite compared to last season

Bit shit to put it on the Ballot goers, like.

Aye I'm not a fan of the system, and yes there is 'day trippers' (not that there never has been) but it's a bit harsh to swing between 'Atmosphere was incredible. Credit to all those fans' to 'Atmosphere was shit. Fucking day trippers'. 

Edited by TBG

10 minutes ago, TBG said:

Aye I'm not a fan of the system, and yes there is 'day trippers' (not that there never has been) but it's a bit harsh to swing between 'Atmosphere was incredible. Credit to all those fans' to 'Atmosphere was shit. Fucking day trippers'. 

They're miffed they ain't got unbridled access anymore, matey. Hence the angst at ballot "winners" 🤔

Every single person I know who's been successful in the ballot is a died in the wool, whole hearted supporter. 

The simple fact is this mythical super atmosphere scenario is exactly that, a myth. 

Absolutely fantastic when they're all "on it" but, like most home crowds, they need a goal, a tackle, a ref fuck up etc etc. 

I used to go all the time, I've heard silence before 😉

Perhaps some supporters are still mired on the Ashley misery and have been so groomed by mediocrity they can't adjust. Clearly, when the teams on fire, the crowds on fire. 

With or without a drum, the Germans would've drowned us out all evening - agree with what's been previously said - a larger section of the ground dedicated to people who wish to create an atmosphere is very much needed.

Sat in the Leazes corner (East Stand) and at around 80 minutes people starting heading towards the exit. 

9 hours ago, Interpolic said:

I think I made some awkward eye contact with you in the Leazes concourse btw @AyeDubbleYoo, I was just about to say hello but you were wandering past then the moment was gone :lol: I wasn't at my most socially confident today, sorry.

Erm, I can't remember but no worries! Must've been too quick for me to realise. I was trying to work out why access 13 is followed by access 4 :lol:

39 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

I guess it was because of how up for it everyone was against PSG from the first tackle. I know the goals helped in the end. But I don’t think it is unreasonable to expect something at least similar to that. 

FWIW, it sounded ok on the TV at times first half. But after they scored. You only heard them and their fucking annoying drum. Save for the odd COOOOMMMMEEEE OOOONNNNN when we won a corner or something. Followed by silence 5 seconds later. 

It was actually from 20-30 mins before kickoff, watching TNT pre game and they couldnt talk due to it drowning them out. Last night the teams came out to very muted reactions. The cameras clearly picked up loads videoing the flags instead of helping.

16 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

They're miffed they ain't got unbridled access anymore, matey. Hence the angst at ballot "winners" 🤔

Every single person I know who's been successful in the ballot is a died in the wool, whole hearted supporter

The simple fact is this mythical super atmosphere scenario is exactly that, a myth. 

Absolutely fantastic when they're all "on it" but, like most home crowds, they need a goal, a tackle, a ref fuck up etc etc. 

I used to go all the time, I've heard silence before 😉

Perhaps some supporters are still mired on the Ashley misery and have been so groomed by mediocrity they can't adjust. Clearly, when the teams on fire, the crowds on fire. 

Complete opposite of my experience, know plenty home & away fans struggling to get the odd game while loads of mates families getting big games when they havent bothered in their lives and its only cos the bairns mates go. My ex took her daughter, she used to whinge like fuck every weekend we were on TV now shes taking a million selfies for instagram ffs

41 minutes ago, TBG said:

Loads of the people I sit around in the Gallowgate are silent all game, every game. They're certainly not day trippers.

I was in gallowgate corner last night towards the east stand. It was like I’d joined a knitting club, full of middle aged ladies. Got told to sit down loads and was almost the only one singing apart from the lads behind me. Awful last night compared to PSG when I was in level 7 Leazes 

3 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Yep. That goes for a lot of people in the whole stadium, and has done for years. 

Remember that Wolves game a few years ago we were at - the only noise those weirdos made was to moan like fuck at Saint Maximin every time he got the ball "HOWAY, NOW DO SOMETHING....DO SOMETHING....DO SOMETHING....PASS IT FFS....PASS THE FUCKING BALL......AAARRRRGGGGHHHHHHH"

Edited by Dr.Spaceman

I know it's not the same, being only 15 minutes and probably to stretch the legs a bit. But I have to say for all the talk of staying seated, I find it highly irritating when the ref's whistle go's for half time and suddenly everyone decides to stand for the whole 15 minutes. :lol: Feel like I must look an absolute weirdo kicking back in my seat thumbing through the programme.

13 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Controversial but I wouldn't let away fans bring drums in. 

They're fucking awful. Kill the match atmosphere in my view. I was sat under the PSG fans and half of them were more bothered about synchronising the clapping rather than watching the match. It was like the first tee at the fucking Ryder Cup. At least PSG only had one drum - BD had two last night plus a loudhailer. The chanting has nil relevance to what is happening in the match -  I don't think half of them realised they'd scored.

If you're lucky enough to gan to the match, fucking sing. 

I hate the fucking moaning. 4-0 up against Palace and some knob behind me is moaning all the time. Why even bother coming? I never moan at match. Totally counter productive.