Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

1 minute ago, wormy said:

One of the most annoying things for me where I was. If something didn't come off my claps and attempts to gee things up a bit were completely drowned out by moans, groans, 'fuckin hell man's etc.

Was very noticeable on TV tonight. Not sure what the purpose of it is. Sounds pathetic and hardly encourages the players to try different things.

Just now, Slim said:

Surrounded by season ticket holders in the Milburn and they didn't sing once.

One in front litteraly moaned all game. 

A ridiculously high % of our ST holders are right miserable, moaning old bastards. That's the reason our atmosphere down at Wembley was so pathetic as it was 95% ST holders in our end.

English atmospheres are far too reactionary, whereas the Germs sing throughout, with zero reactions to scoring. Shouldn’t always been on the team to ignite some noise. This is why singing and standing sections are so important. Folk laugh at Palace and Arsenal’s attempt at a solution but at least they’re trying. 

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

Unfortunately I haven't been able to make it back to the promised land yet, but generally speaking there was always much more moaning, groaning and getting stuck into players rather than actual support even back when I attended.

It’s not been bad for a while, but this season has made a come back sadly - could hear it tonight. One point where Pope elected to punch a cross away 

I was in the Leazes tonight and that fucking drum omg - literally gave my daughter a headache. Felt like every time people got a song going they would start a new drum beat and just drown out the home fans. Was a fucking shite night all round tbf

Just now, The Prophet said:

Unfortunately I haven't been able to make it back to the promised land yet, but generally speaking there was always much more moaning, groaning and getting stuck into players rather than actual support even back when I attended.

I genuinely think there's far, far less of that these days versus the Robson era etc but then again we've been very spoiled lately. It was creeping in a bit today which is disappointing when we were always in the game and didn't remotely show ourselves up or owt. 

I think people have a habit of getting ahead of themselves and many will have turned up tonight expecting us to steamroll Dortmund, which is daft. 

1 minute ago, nemtizz said:

English atmospheres are far too reactionary, whereas the Germs sing throughout, with zero reactions to scoring. Shouldn’t always been on the team to ignite some noise. This is why singing and standing sections are so important. Folk laugh at Palace and Arsenal’s attempt at a solution but at least they’re trying. 

Yup. Unsurprisingly a few posts tonight comparing to the PSG game (and I don't mean that in a bad way), but as I think someone else put it, that was pure lightning in a bottle. I think the early goal effectively sent our fans in to a state of delirium that then carried both fans and the players through. If the first half went the same way as tonight I wouldn't be surprised to have seen the atmosphere gradually fall flat in a similar way.

37 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Yep.  The PSV, Dynamo Kiev and Feyenoord home games in particular stand out as being as flat as a witch’s tit.  Feyenoord was the nadir for me - 10k empty seats and you could hear a pin drop.  

Pulled myself off a sick bed at 6.45 to get to that Feyenoord one. The queues outside, missed the anthem, suggest different clientele to normal would be in attendance which usually meant a drop in noise. It so often effects everyone else which is probably the killer. Definitely effected me being shy anyway but even the two regular quite rowdy blokes a few seats up were like cats amongst pigeons.

Edited by Jonas

25 minutes ago, Jonas said:

Pulled myself off a sick bed at 6.45 to get to that Feyenoord one. The queues outside, missed the anthem, suggest different clientele to normal would be in attendance which usually meant a drop in noise. It so often effects everyone else which is probably the killer. Definitely effected me being shy anyway but even the two regular quite rowdy blokes a few seats up were like cats amongst pigeons.

Yep, there is usually significant changes to the attendees.  I used to sit with two mates, but we recognised / would crack on with loads around us.  We didn’t recognise anyone at that game - I still remember how oddly disconcerting that was :) 

49 minutes ago, Interpolic said:

I genuinely think there's far, far less of that these days versus the Robson era etc but then again we've been very spoiled lately. It was creeping in a bit today which is disappointing when we were always in the game and didn't remotely show ourselves up or owt. 

I think people have a habit of getting ahead of themselves and many will have turned up tonight expecting us to steamroll Dortmund, which is daft. 

There was tons of moaning around me today.

Someone shouted to Wilson to get a grip FFS.

53 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

A ridiculously high % of our ST holders are right miserable, moaning old bastards. That's the reason our atmosphere down at Wembley was so pathetic as it was 95% ST holders in our end.

Just my theory, but loads of them wouldn’t have continued to go when it was mostly on the day tickets prior to ‘92/93-ish.  They’d have drifted away, or would have been in the West Stand seats for the odd game.  I genuinely think there are a significant portion of them who don’t actually like going. 

6 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Just my theory, but loads of them wouldn’t have continued to go when it was mostly on the day tickets prior to ‘92/93-ish.  They’d have drifted away, or would have been in the West Stand seats for the odd game.  I genuinely think there are a significant portion of them who don’t actually like going. 

I work with a ST who openly admits he's not bothered about going. He goes because it gets him out the house and is the only chance he gets to meet up with the one mate he's got in the Labour Club.

He didn't bother getting the Cup package so wasn't there tonight so can't apportion any of the blame on him for the atmosphere tonight.

We first got our season tickets at the start of the 91/92 season and I remember that at the time we had around 4,000 season ticket holders. 

Atmosphere was shite, but I think that drum ruined it! In my opinion that is why they do it!  They drown out the home support with the constant drumming. They never react to the match at all, just the constant noise! Good tackle, shot on target, good save! They never change the rhythm!! Why the fuck did we allow the drums is beyond me. Without the drum they are nowt!!

I mentioned it while watching their last game of the season, their atmosphere is manufactured. They were behind most of the game needing a win for the title, and it was just that constant drone throughout. There was no encouragement and egging the players on. There was no reaction to what was going on on the pitch..

Just their drums, flags, same sort of hum all the way through. 

We're going to watch Borussia Monchengladbach on Saturday and our seats are in the upper tier of the Nordkurve directly above the 16,000 capacity standing terrace they have.

No doubt that'll be similar to the constant drone of the Dortmund fans last night and no doubt they'll also have a drum.

Blaming the drum? There’s 49,000 people - I’m sure if they all stepped it up they’d be pretty certain to drown it out. PSG and Palace overinflated expectations, pin stuck in the balloon tonight when too many probably expected us just to rock up and do them.