Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

I'm a bit bored of the whole day-trippers and tourists causing a bad atmosphere excuse. It's been shite for ages unless we're winning. The same as any other football stadium in the UK.

There's seemingly a feeling of embarrassment or it being socially unacceptable to do so it seems to me. Football is now an entertainment business not a sport. Get your popcorn and hot dog and clap when you score. That's it.

Edited by Heron

21 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Corner was decent but every atmosphere at every 12:30 kick off at every PL ground has always been shite.

Used to turn the 12.30 kick-offs off on Saturday and watch soccer Saturday instead, just something about them.

We've a tradition of horrible form on boxing day and from memory atmosphere tends to match it. Recalling what many of us would describe as the peak atmosphere era of 93/94 the atmosphere against Man City (might have been New Years Day) was criticised.

1 hour ago, Heron said:

I'm a bit bored of the whole day-trippers and tourists causing a bad atmosphere excuse. It's been shite for ages unless we're winning. The same as any other football stadium in the UK.

There's seemingly a feeling of embarrassment or being socially unacceptable to do so it seems to me. Football is amnow an entertainment business not a sport. Get your popcorn nd hot dog and clap when you score. That's it.

Spot on, it is becoming like the nfl almost.

Saying that seat moves havetp happen.

Get all the lads together

There was a lot of people that I didn’t recognise today but I don’t think it was down to that tbh, the atmosphere has been shite for large sections of the season and personally I think there’s a wider change that’s occurring not just at Newcastle. 
The demographic of a fan is changing and with that I think we will see a quieter game of football. 

The animosity of football and rivalry seems to be in decline, just look at the Sunderland thread for examples and with that I think we will lose more noise in grounds. 

Something I found from Europe this year is that there seems to be more chants rather than songs in Europe, they’re easier to learn and maintain whereas in England we all sing a variant of the same song, maybe something to think about. 

Today was shite though, utter shite indeed. 

Ground is full of day tripping cunts. Tart next to me didn’t even stand up when we were taking the pen. Dopey cow the other side of me, next to my mate done the same.

Team shite on the pitch but the crowd let them down. Pathetic. 

4 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Reading this glad I called it a day after Dortmund at home, sad but can’t see me heading back up to St James any time soon, find the whole experience depressing as fuck even when we’re winning.

It’s fucking embarrassing mate. Bunch of complete passionless divvies. 

Not saying that the atmosphere is electric without them; it’s not, but these cunts can get back to whatever rock they were under before the takeover. 

Edited by Danh1

On 19/12/2023 at 20:33, Whitley mag said:

Anyone know much about these lads seems like they’re trying to do something ?

https://x.com/BNWARMY_/status/1736858187427643468?s=20 

Fair play to these lads pushing for difference. Hope people push for seat moves and changes. All these miserable pricks want moving seats. Make lower leazes standing and get mass seat moves underway. Far too many old moany pricks

6 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

It’s fucking embarrassing mate. Bunch of complete passionless divvies. 

Not saying that the atmosphere is electric without them; it’s not, but these cunts can get back to whatever rock they were under before the takeover. 

Sad state of affairs not sure what the answer is now think the horse might have already bolted. 

2 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Sad state of affairs not sure what the answer is now think the horse might have already bolted. 

I think you have one corner thats very loud but we need to add 2 more areas. I'd put the whole leazes west L4 standing. 

It has to be a must come the summer

The Forest fans were loud as fuck today, was at the front of the Milburn near where the Amazon studio was.

Made me think how loud the 3k in level 7 when the singing section was there must’ve been. Would be good to get a standing section up there again imo.

1 hour ago, Danh1 said:

The Forest fans were loud as fuck today, was at the front of the Milburn near where the Amazon studio was.

Made me think how loud the 3k in level 7 when the singing section was there must’ve been. Would be good to get a standing section up there again imo.

All more reason getting a standing area in the leazes

5 hours ago, Wallsendmag said:

Exactly. 32,000 season ticket holders means that's where your problem lies when it comes to a lack of atmosphere.

The only people to blame are season ticket holders. Too many of them think they're at the theatre or the cinema. It isn't even for the club to set up singing sections. If you're attending a match you need to participate or stay at home. 

35 minutes ago, vexred said:

The only people to blame are season ticket holders. Too many of them think they're at the theatre or the cinema. It isn't even for the club to set up singing sections. If you're attending a match you need to participate or stay at home. 

Agreed, trouble is too many don't want to hence why we should move the fuckers

The atmosphere changed the moment it went all-seater, and the final nail was the lop-sided extension in 2000.  This is compounded by an ageing ST cohort sitting on their hands and day trippers.

Large groups of young lads going together are usually what builds atmospheres.  But they can’t attend as a block due to the impossibility of getting large number of tickets together, and the exorbitant cost means that many are priced out.  Neither of these are likely to be fixed - in fact, they’re only likely to get worse.

I’ve heard the same complaints re the atmosphere for decades; it isn’t going back to how it was, it isn’t going to be fixed.  Safe standing won’t fix it because the places will still be mainly ST holders and not groups together; a ‘singing section’ is unlikely to fix it as those in there will age and not want to give up their seat.  The entire ground is now what the West / Milburn seating was when I was a kid.  The lower Leazes etc is now where many disabled supporters sit - you can’t just whack standing back wherever you want without causing issues to those who are there already. 

51 minutes ago, vexred said:

Part of the issue is cost.  If you’re charging prices on a par with a decent west end production, then your ‘customers’ demand entertainment - they don’t make their own fun.  The clubs willing took middle class money and betrayed the working class fan bases decades ago now.  It’s why I get hacked off when I hear Klopp whining about atmosphere, or when Keane went on about ‘prawn sandwiches’.  As if they can’t quite equate their exorbitant salaries requiring ticket prices which price out those more likely to create atmospheres.  Football took the recommendations of Taylor Report to squeeze more money and change its supporter base.  Atmospheres which are flatter than a witch’s tit are a consequence