Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

9 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

There was 4 of us as linked members. One of the lads works as a manager on a building site. Very rarely able to use his phone - but would every week at 10am. He’d rarely be first in the queue out of the four of us, but we did it together as a team 👍🏻

Understand, and obviously lorry drivers on the motorway couldn't do it.

Thing is like you point out someone else could do it for you though, my other half did mine plenty of times, as long as we were roughly in the area we wanted, and we had seats together, it was never an issue.

It's a boring debate though, because some lover of the current system will come along moaning, so you can't win, it's what circumstances suited individuals. 

Edited by mighty__mag

8 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

It wasn't a ballot weekdays, A first come first serve, why do you think its only people who work at a computer or work at home that could  access it?

I didn't work at a desk, or from home, I had a phone like literally everyone and left the browser open waiting for the time to access the seating, it really wasn't that tough, and once through took less than 5 minutes.

But like you say in the latter bit, it's not easy to please all, I personally liked the older process.

Simple. I don’t work in an office, I can’t use a phone at work most of the time. I get breaks or times when I can, but I don’t control when they occur.

In my last job (retail) there was no chance of being able to sit on an online queue.

It worked for you, well fucking done. It didn’t work for many other people though, and it’s not your place to dismiss that.

11 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Simple. I don’t work in an office, I can’t use a phone at work most of the time. I get breaks or times when I can, but I don’t control when they occur.

In my last job (retail) there was no chance of being able to sit on an online queue.

It worked for you, well fucking done. It didn’t work for many other people though, and it’s not your place to dismiss that[emoji38] fucking hell [emoji38]

That never happened, the browser stayed open, the only time you were physically needing to be on it was to choose seats and pay, 5 mins max. 

But I've mentioned, it's monotonous going over it, I get people have managers that were dinosaurs or worked in sports direct, personally I'd have gone for an extremely long toilet break, [emoji38]

Edited by mighty__mag

1 minute ago, mighty__mag said:

That never happened, the browser stayed open, the only time you were physically needing to be on it was to choose seats and pay, 5 mins max. 

But I've mentioned, it's monotonous going over it, I get people have managers that were dinosaurs or worked in sports direct, personally I'd have gone for an extremely long toilet break, [emoji38]

We all saw how long the queue system was, and how accurate the estimated time was.

Enough people said that they couldn’t get tickets because of it for them to change it.

Why are season ticket holders kicking off about it in anyway? They already have theirs, and they get priory on cup games.

2 hours ago, Groundhog63 said:

The atmosphere, or lack of, has little to do with "tourists" or "jonney-come-lateley" bunch. This is just thrown around by the people disenfranchised from their old route of getting ticket with an axe to grind about that circumstance.

Was fine getting tickets from Simon or Keith, back in the day, when it suited etc etc but the club's taking more responsibility for away attendees, it seems.

What people need to accept, because it's true, is that we're no big shakes in the volume/support stakes. We are when it's going great and definitely better than most grounds but I sat in there for years and, for the most part, it was a fucking morgue. Last two years, not so much. Go figure.

Since the ballot system, not without it's many issues, there's been some terrific atmospheres. Zero credit given to any newbies but when it's quieter it's all on them. Funny how that grafts.

This is utter bollocks. I've no idea why you feel the constant need to piss all over NUFC's support of old but the simple fact is, until the later Ashley years, the support generally speaking was far better than it is now. There's no way a SJP crowd of 10 years ago would be sitting relatively quiet after just giving Chelsea a thumping. And there definitely would not have been loads of Chelsea fans in the home end either. That's what your much-loved ballot has done though.

If the problem with the old system was the timing, then they just needed to make the queuing system open on an evening slot, rather than the morning.

But if they really want to persist with the ballot, then they need to bring back the ability to choose your own seating area. And find a way to stop away fans getting tickets.

Edited by Wandy

What I want to know is, just how lucky are these away fans.

I'm 1/9 when it comes to the ballot. Wish I had their luck to be 1/1. 

Would make picking games much easier. 

Edited by TBG

13 minutes ago, Wandy said:

This is utter bollocks. I've no idea why you feel the constant need to piss all over NUFC's support of old but the simple fact is, until the later Ashley years, the support generally speaking was far better than it is now. There's no way a SJP crowd of 10 years ago would be sitting relatively quiet after just giving Chelsea a thumping. And there definitely would not have been loads of Chelsea fans in the home end either. That's what your much-loved ballot has done though.

If the problem was with the old system was the timing, then they just needed to make the queuing system open on an evening slot, rather than the morning.

But if they really want to persist with the ballot, then they need to bring back the ability to choose your own seating area. And find a way to stop away fans getting tickets.

But the old system is just a de-facto ballot, albeit with significant advantage to those who are somewhat IT-savvy?

I think people would find it a lot more frustrating than they did last season given the apparent massive increase in member numbers, which would result in it becoming a lot more difficult to get a decent queue number (IT-related advantages not withstanding).

10 minutes ago, TBG said:

What I want to know is, just how lucky are these away fans.

I'm 1/9 when it comes to the ballot. Wish I had their luck to be 1/1. 

Would make picking games much easier. 

I'll never forgive myself if I've allowed myself to be whooshed by TBG, but I don't think away fans are entering the members' ballot (they're, presumably, buying them off members/touts)...

33 minutes ago, SteV said:

But the old system is just a de-facto ballot, albeit with significant advantage to those who are somewhat IT-savvy?

I think people would find it a lot more frustrating than they did last season given the apparent massive increase in member numbers, which would result in it becoming a lot more difficult to get a decent queue number (IT-related advantages not withstanding).

The old system was akin to a scrum, with some people being able to jostle to the front of the queue. This current system is just a lucky dip raffle.

I hate to say it, but there does need to be an element of difficulty to getting a ticket, and by that I mean that you need to put actual work into getting one. It's the only way of having a better chance of filling the stadium with people who really, really want to be there.

Edited by Wandy

1 hour ago, Wandy said:

If the problem was with the old system was the timing, then they just needed to make the queuing system open on an evening slot, rather than the morning.

Unsurprisingly you totally and deliberately miss represent what I posted. 

I've been going since the 70s. Some great crack as and when. Certainly things, right across the board, were different then, like pubs shutting in the afternoon. 

Goes without saying the Keegan eras were immense, as was the atmosphere, but we were winning regularly as well. So there is that. 

You lot spent the entire Ashley years sat on your hands. I know, I was there. 

Was absolutely silent. 

You keep plugging away tho sunshine. 

Edited by Groundhog63

Just now, Wandy said:

The old system was akin to a scrum, with some people being able to jostle to the front of the queue. This current system is just a lucky dip raffle.

I hate to say it, but there does need to be an element of difficulty to getting a ticket, and by that I mean that you need to put actual work into getting one. It's the only way of having a better chance of filling the stadium who really, really want to be there.

That last bit is nub of the problem when demand vastly outstrips supply.

I don’t necessarily disagree with the point, but I think we have to recognise it’s a very fine line for the club to tread on this particular subject. 

Maybe they’ve gone a bit too far one way in making it absolutely random as to which members get tickets, but they were getting pelters last season (probably a bit unfairly) about it being a ‘closed shop’, so they can’t win.

1 hour ago, Wandy said:

If the problem with the old system was the timing, then they just needed to make the queuing system open on an evening slot, rather than the morning.

There's around 35k season ticket holders who are there every single week. That's plenty to make a consistently good atmosphere. "Daytrippers", "tourists" etc shouldn't be blamed. A lot of the 35k there are the same who sat on their arses during the Ashley era accepting everything he provided for us. Maybe look at that area rather than those trying to get back in who boycotted.

6 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

Unsurprisingly you totally and deliberately miss represent what I posted. 

I've been going since the 70s. Some great crack as and when. Certainly things, right across the board, we're different then, like pubs shutting in the afternoon. 

Goes without saying the Keegan eras were immense, as was the atmosphere, but we were winning regularly as well. So there is that. 

You lot spent the entire Ashley years Sat on your hands. I know, I was there. 

Was absolutely silent. 

You keep plugging away tho sunshine. 

I know you have been going since then, which is why it's frankly bizarre that you constantly perpetuate the idea that it's a myth that NUFC have always had brilliant support. The only reason NUFC has stayed relevant through a ridiculously barren period of zero success is the nature of it's support.

The difference between the KK era and now is that the roof came off when the team was winning. Now, there's a bit of noise and then back to silence.

This year, in a Wembley final, we got outsang by a mediocre Man Utd crowd. That would be unheard of in times gone by. And especially when NUFC is on such an upward trajectory.

The Ashley years weren't as quiet as you make out. In fact only after Rafa walked did it turn truly apathetic. That was the moment that broke the support and it has done immense damage to the fanbase in general. The current owners are trying to repair that damage but the current ticketing policy isn't the way to go about it.

10 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

There's around 35k season ticket holders who are there every single week. That's plenty to make a consistently good atmosphere. "Daytrippers", "tourists" etc shouldn't be blamed. A lot of the 35k there are the same who sat on their arses during the Ashley era accepting everything he provided for us. Maybe look at that area rather than those trying to get back in who boycotted.

I'm not disagreeing with you.  The current bunch of ST holders are the ones who were prepared to put up with Ashley's piss-taking. They've got zero spine so it's hardly surprising that they make no noise at games.

Personally, I think there's now a case that ST holding should be abolished and all tickets made available on general sale. Never going to happen of course. But at the very least, ST holders should have all of their privileges removed. The fact that they have a guaranteed seat for league games is privilege enough.

Will argue to i'm blue in face but biggest issue is all stands have become the same. We need to set expectations that we need an end were all the like minded fans are together. Atm we have some in level 7, some in back of gallogate and leazes so in corner where leazes meet east stand and obviously strawberry corner. Ive make botttom half of leazes standing and do mass seat relocation. 

Do that and there will big difference. Anyone who doesnt want to be there simply has to move. 

Not denying ticketing system is absolutely shite btw.

4 hours ago, Stifler said:

I agree you can’t blame tourists our day trippers when you have an estimated 35k season ticket holders who are telling us they are forever loyal, and dedicated to supporting the team.

It’s idiotic to blame the ballot though. As I say, it was shit having a ballot at 10am on weekdays when the only people who could access it were people who either work from home, or work at a computer.

It needed changing, that’s all NUST fed back, and rightly so.

In terms of tickets, we are never going to have a situation that suits everyone until SJP has been expanded. It’s that simple.

We also need to get off the gate from certain season ticket holders vs non-season ticket holders. We all love our club, we have all supported our club, and in the Ashley years both sides made difficult decisions to continue or not, no one should be chastised for the decision they made.

The random ballot is a massive problem regarding the atmosphere though. It's meant that "singers" are being put in quieter areas so they can't be as vocal as they'd like because nobody will join in with them and they just get funny looks off people with no interest in generating an atmosphere, and to compound that you get the quieter fans being randomly shoved into the noisier sections which dilutes them right down.

The best example I can give is the NE Corner. It's been excellent for the past 2 seasons and is now flat as a fart because a lot of members who were "singers" used to head for there and now they can't.

The ballot, along with unlimited memberships are the 2 main reasons why the atmosphere has suffered so much this season. Speaking personally, not once have i managed to get in what I'd class as my first, or even second choice area, and there'll be 1000s just like me.

44 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

The random ballot is a massive problem regarding the atmosphere though. It's meant that "singers" are being put in quieter areas so they can't be as vocal as they'd like because nobody will join in with them and they just get funny looks off people with no interest in generating an atmosphere, and to compound that you get the quieter fans being randomly shoved into the noisier sections which dilutes them right down.

The best example I can give is the NE Corner. It's been excellent for the past 2 seasons and is now flat as a fart because a lot of members who were "singers" used to head for there and now they can't.

The ballot, along with unlimited memberships are the 2 main reasons why the atmosphere has suffered so much this season. Speaking personally, not once have i managed to get in what I'd class as my first, or even second choice area, and there'll be 1000s just like me.

This is my situation. I can rarely get a ticket in an area where it's considered acceptable to stand and sing, which is what I want to do at the match. 

Allocated seating is shit and needs to change, give people the choice so they can go to the areas that suit them best. 

Another factor, albeit very specific, is the club sending letters to people in a seated area where standing and singing was the norm, telling them to sit down or lose their tickets. 

As others have said we've got 35,000 ST holders who need to up their game too. They're the ones who can make the most difference.

And instead of people looking back over bygone eras and saying we've always been a quiet ground so that's just the way it is, why not focus on the future instead and come up with ideas on how we can try and make it louder.

On the playing side Eddie's turned plodders into world beaters, what's stopping us doing that in the stands ?

Edited by bobbydazzla

Is there an unspoken acceptance or expectation that there won’t be another round of balloting for season tickets in the summer? There wasn’t anything this past summer was there. Is the circa 35,000 proportionally representative of the season ticket: open ticket numbers for most teams?

Just now, gbandit said:

Is there an unspoken acceptance or expectation that there won’t be another round of balloting for season tickets in the summer? There wasn’t anything this past summer was there. Is the circa 35,000 proportionally representative of the season ticket: open ticket numbers for most teams?

Pretty sure there won’t be any more ST’s sold until after any expansion, and even then I wouldn’t be surprised if they didn’t offer any additional.

~35k ST’s out of 52k is pretty high I believe. Certainly higher than the likes of Liverpool.

1 minute ago, gbandit said:

Based on all of the noises from within the club their priority is getting more people into the ground each season and selling more season tickets wouldn't fit that aim.

As the 10 year deals end there'll be some people who can't afford, or don't want to pay their new increased price, my gut feel is that if ST's are given up they'll just become game by game sale seats instead

3 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

As the 10 year deals end there'll be some people who can't afford, or don't want to pay their new increased price, my gut feel is that if ST's are given up they'll just become game by game sale seats instead

Agree. 

The chaos that would be caused in trying to put 200/300 ST up for sale, just isn’t worth it.

Unless they put them in a ballot…

12 minutes ago, El Prontonise said:

The fuss over this is way OTT imo.

Tbf 2 of the owners have mentioned it so they've clearly noticed a downturn in the atmosphere this season as the rest of us have which is why this thread was created.

Considering the performance/result/opposition I thought it was dire on Saturday.