Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

12 hours ago, Izakaya said:

Wanted to ask a question regarding ticketing and with this thread having the biggest discussion on it I thought I'd post in here.

I'm coming back to Newcastle from Australia in May and the only home game on while I'm there is the last home game of the season against Brighton. Obviously I'd love to attend and I'd love to take my son who will turn two at the end of January. 

My questions are this;

There's a lot of talk about tickets being resold on 3rd party sites, and while this is something I know annoys local fans, it seems this will be the only way I'll be able to secure a ticket without a membership. 

What kind of costs will I be looking at for a ticket on these sites? 

And realistically, how feasible is it to take a kid of that age to a game? Is there a family room at SJP I could use to change nappies, or maybe sit in for a bit if he gets restless? And is there any particular section I'd need to sit in to access these services? 

Thanks 

I’ve got three kids and two season tickets. 
I take my two eldest on rotation (9/7) and to be fair, they love it and join in to an extent. 

I didn’t start taking them till they were 5 though as they’d not have watched or enjoyed it, even now the noise can overwhelm them at times. 

There are times when I can see there not as engaged in the match that I feel a sense of guilt because I know how many fans would love to sit where my bairns are but that’s life I suppose. 

I don’t think a 2 YO will enjoy the match, nor will you but don’t let that stop you because I found that it’s canny testing in the early days until they “get it”. 
Support the match day experience with watching it in the house with them etc. 

My life has changed dramatically since I started going to the football with my mates, we’ve been all over Europe (currently sitting in Paris) and all over the country but I’ve never enjoyed football as much as I do with the bairn, it’s fantastic scoring a goal and seeing how jubilant they are. 

Do it, just make sure they are as ready as can be and not that you’re ready for them to be. 

47 minutes ago, WideopenMag said:

People wanting to take young kids is one of the reasons the atmosphere is shite these days tbh. Going to the football was never meant to be a family day out.

I'm guessing you don't have kids eh.

My son is Australian, and will be living his life a million miles from the childhood in the NE that I had. Taking him to SJP at 2.5 years old will literally be one of his first and core memories. His name is even on the massive surfer flag. Why the fuck wouldn't I want to do that?

5 minutes ago, Izakaya said:

My son is Australian, and will be living his life a million miles from the childhood in the NE that I had. Taking him to SJP at 2.5 years old will literally be one of his first and core memories. His name is even on the massive surfer flag. Why the fuck wouldn't I want to do that?

There's nothing wrong with you doing that mate, hope you do and enjoy yourself. However my point was only relating to the atmosphere as that is what this thread is about. 

1 hour ago, WideopenMag said:

People wanting to take young kids is one of the reasons the atmosphere is shite these days tbh. Going to the football was never meant to be a family day out.

Suppose it depends on the kid, but I’ve had some of the best days/atmospheres when taking one of the family’s kids with me.. most of them love it when you get a song going and then are well up for it themselves. 

Did you go to games as a kid may I ask? 

I went to my first game as a 7 year old. Loved it. I played football and was in love straight away. Season tickets in Level 7 for the start of the 01-02 season with my dad and 11 year old brother. Singing and learning the songs were the Toon Ultras originally congregated. 

There is a fine line however. I think had I gone as a 4 or 5 year old I wouldn’t have had a clue what was going on and probably would have been overawed. I certainly won’t be taking my lad until he can appreciate it. I don’t want his and my first memory of the game being him crying, or being overwhelmed or what have you. I want us both to enjoy it. I’m not sure how a 2 1/2 year old will make it an enjoyable experience for either of you tbh - despite the best intentions you may have. 

28 minutes ago, ryanegg said:

Suppose it depends on the kid, but I’ve had some of the best days/atmospheres when taking one of the family’s kids with me.. most of them love it when you get a song going and then are well up for it themselves. 

Did you go to games as a kid may I ask? 

The odd cup game when I was maybe 7/8 then went a lot when I was in my teens. My point is there's clearly a difference in the atmosphere and match day experience now it's becoming more family oriented, which is fine if that's the way they want to go with it but don't expect it not to effect the atmosphere.

2 minutes ago, WideopenMag said:

The odd cup game when I was maybe 7/8 then went a lot when I was in my teens. My point is there's clearly a difference in the atmosphere and match day experience now it's becoming more family oriented, which is fine if that's the way they want to go with it but don't expect it not to effect the atmosphere.

I get where you're coming from. It'd be hard to judge, but I've noticed no more kids than usual being brought to the games. I certainly don't think that there's that much of an influx of families to have an impact on the atmosphere. If there were a few thousand more, maybe. 

@Izakaya presumably it's plausible that you'll have another opportunity to take him when he's at an age where he'll really appreciate it? I get the temptation to do it now but if the goal here is for him to revel in his Dad's passions, might the better approach would be to resist and do it when he can't wait to be there? 

I wrestle with this all the time and I'm not even a parent. :lol: Can't bear the thought of having to wait another 7 or 8 years to take my wee'un to the game but I know that's the sensible thing to do. My first game (that age) remains one of my greatest ever memories. I can't remember a thing from when I was two...

2 hours ago, WideopenMag said:

wt actual fuck?

makes it even better with your kids.

4 hours ago, WideopenMag said:

I'd say it's the opposite problem. Too many old, miserable bastards there these days. Back in the 80s the average age of your supporter in the Gallowgate or Leazes End would have been 20s. Probably nearer 50 now.

Back in the day once you got to a certain age you migrated to the West or East Stands or the West Stand Paddocks if you didn't fancy sitting but now everyone has to stay put.

@izakaya do what want you want for your family and your son, man. But doubt there will be much in the way of calm and quiet place to take the 2.5 year old at SJP. 

Edited by Kanji

My first game was 9 and personally felt that’s around a good age to appreciate it but I wouldn’t have contributed to the atmosphere until my early teens (14).

No need for parents to get so sensitive about being questioned wether it’s the right decision or not in this thread.

It’s pretty straightforward it’s not the best help for atmosphere in general which is what the thread is about. Thats not to say some of the younger kids can’t get engrossed in the game though. At 2.5yrs I agree with the general consensus it seems a bit of a waste of a seat and likely impact the enjoyment of the occasion for yourself but your decision.

On a side note the Eagles (basketball) quite often play on a Friday night and that might be more suited to someone that young. Really good cheap night for young kids. Would quite possibly enjoy that more.

The women's football as well or a reserve game

Bit different for the fella coming from Australia like but I couldn't think nowt worse than taking my 2 year old into SJP with me

My 7 year old loves it and she contributes to the atmosphere I'd say. Took her in the corner with me against Chelsea and she stood on the seat and loved it

6 hours ago, Izakaya said:

proud dad moment at Chelsea when my 8 year old started “Southgate’s right sterling’s shite”!! 

Unfortunately for them

Paris is a lads only trip - I’ll get them a tobelerone from duty free !!

In a way I am quite pleased with merdhads comments. It's an important step along the way in achieving the only outcome that will stop us going round in circles in this thread. The creation of one or more singing sections. 

Edited by pedro111

4 hours ago, pedro111 said:

In a way I am quite pleased with merdhads comments. It's an important step along the way in achieving the only outcome that will stop us going round in circles in this thread. The creation of one or more singing sections. 

Agree. If the owners think the atmosphere can be improved that's got to be good news for us who are wanting them to create bigger standing/singing areas.

Did seem a bit odd really. On the TV it obviously comes across as intimidating, it’s loud etc. however, when you tune into it, it just feels like a backing track that has no connection to the game. Great, you made loads of noise but with no link to the match itself. Might as well just have loads of speakers and pump some tunes through all match long

I was in the home end and it was a weird mix tbh. I thought their ultras were very good from the off and kept at it most of the game. Where I was sitting was in a much less intense area of the ground, but the support was still decent. Fans were stood up for a large part of the game (this would never happen at SJP), and reacted well after our goal to try and get behind the team (as if needing to respond).

On the flip side of this there was also a very clear mix of hardcore support and a touristy element in together from ticket reselling - of which we were obviously contributing to. I could imagine pre-Qatar that there would have been a much more authentic feel to visiting the Parc de Princes - although the team would have been a lot shitter.

The weirdest thing was definitely the bloke on the PA trying to jee up the crowd in the second half. I don't think I've ever seen that at a match. I don't even think it was that necessary either as their support was decentish throughout in the circumstances.

Would also say I was right next to the away fans and our lot were good. Probably slightly less merriment beforehand compared to Dortmund and Milan saving some energy for the match.

20 hours ago, Wallsendmag said:

I'd say it's the opposite problem. Too many old, miserable bastards there these days. Back in the 80s the average age of your supporter in the Gallowgate or Leazes End would have been 20s. Probably nearer 50 now.

Back in the day once you got to a certain age you migrated to the West or East Stands or the West Stand Paddocks if you didn't fancy sitting but now everyone has to stay put.

Agree. I don't get to many games these days, but when I do, it invariably seems like there's just a few of the younger crowd singing surrounded by the older gits who are sat on their hands like they are watching Coronation Street. When I was going in my teens and 20's there was smaller crowds ( we were shit ) but everyone was jumping.

People can criticise the plastic fans of PSG, but they never stopped singing even after they went behind.