Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

7 minutes ago, NE27 said:

I feel like the club just needs to take this all on board, then be ruthless as fuck [emoji38]

The main issue appears to be that they don't think it's too much of an issue in the grand scheme of things. 1500 new seats/standing is nothing but a token gesture. This is going to run & run for a good while before we see a real solution IMO.

The ideal way to sort it of course is build a new stadium............

The Gallowgate Corner and the Gallowgate lower would be a great start! A lot of people in the Gallowgate lower - lower (the first six rows at the bottom detached and where a certain buffoon is!) already stand as well a lot in the corner!

49 minutes ago, Wandy said:

The fact that Ashley rode roughshod & largely unchallenged for 14 years and only left when it was convenient for him tells you all you need to know. A massive proportion of our fanbase are lazy, selfish, entitled pricks. I won't be surprised to hear the team get booed pretty soon if our current poor run continues, such is the entitlement amongst some of our lot.

Never get this, and I’ve read it countless times on here. The same lazy, feckless cunts that stuck in during Ashley are all the entitled fly by nighters incapable of handling a bad run of results?

You can be mad at whoever you like, but it’s one or the other 

11 minutes ago, Hovagod said:

Never get this, and I’ve read it countless times on here. The same lazy, feckless cunts that stuck in during Ashley are all the entitled fly by nighters incapable of handling a bad run of results?

You can be mad at whoever you like, but it’s one or the other 

I'd say the lazy/selfish ones are those who barely lifted a finger to help oust Ashley, and also derided those who did try to make a difference. The entitled ones are those who paid for a season ticket and therefore refused to make a sacrifice such as taking part in a boycott of games..."I've paid for my ticket so I'm using it". Customers, in other words.

Collectively as a fanbase we didn't do enough to get rid of Ashley. Man Utd and Liverpool fans would have seen the back of him within a few years.

5 minutes ago, Wandy said:

I'd say the lazy/selfish ones are those who barely lifted a finger to help oust Ashley, and also derided those who did try to make a difference. The entitled ones are those who paid for a season ticket and therefore refused to make a sacrifice such as taking part in a boycott of games..."I've paid for my ticket so I'm using it". Customers, in other words.

Collectively as a fanbase we didn't do enough to get rid of Ashley. Man Utd and Liverpool fans would have seen the back of him within a few years.

Right. But that’s not really my point. I don’t understand the supposed correlation between those people and the people who are fickle and liable to chuck in their ticket at the first sign of trouble. I think the uncomfortable truth for many (on both sides of the debate) is that it is actually the exact opposite. 

Seen this on Twitter earlier. The perfect example of both a visual and vocal display of support and take note of how slowly and all in time with each other they sing. I actually watched this game on BT and the atmosphere was incredible from start to finish and certainly influenced the result.

Its better than nothing lads I guess. Lets remember when the ground is expanded people will want to move seats etc so bigger appetite.

If only club took charge amd said of you dont like it tough...tickets at all high demand so good luck givng up if you have to move.

Also to add, we presuming everyone happy where they sit but i bet theres people in leazes who would of happily moved and that is annoying thing the club shouldnt just presume it only is aimed at strawberry corner

1 hour ago, Hovagod said:

Right. But that’s not really my point. I don’t understand the supposed correlation between those people and the people who are fickle and liable to chuck in their ticket at the first sign of trouble. I think the uncomfortable truth for many (on both sides of the debate) is that it is actually the exact opposite. 

I don't think many chucked their tickets in at the first sign of trouble though. For instance, I'd say most of the 10,000 who walked in 2019 did it out of sheer exasperation and desperation to make a difference, even if it meant losing a seat that they probably have had for a long time.

It's a lot easier to just click the renewal button on a season ticket, and thus keep your Saturday day out, than it is to walk away from one when you have been a supporter for decades.

Edited by Wandy

Just received an email for a review on the night. I’ve added more feedback on what has been discussed in here. 

Predominantly, catering to as many fans that want to safe stand. Not just using an arbitrary figure of 1500

Quite glad they came back with that tbh. Means I could drive that view home. Wouldn’t be surprised if plenty of them just rate it out of 5 and leave it there. I’m sure @Heronand the WF lot in attendance will do the same. 

Really hope we can force this change like. Had a good discussion with Heron and the lads last night about bringing back a bit of a weekly pub/March to the stadium again. Bring that away style atmosphere to the ground that @NUFC91has mentioned too.

2 hours ago, TheGuv said:

Quite glad they came back with that tbh. Means I could drive that view home. Wouldn’t be surprised if plenty of them just rate it out of 5 and leave it there. I’m sure @Heronand the WF lot in attendance will do the same. 

Really hope we can force this change like. Had a good discussion with Heron and the lads last night about bringing back a bit of a weekly pub/March to the stadium again. Bring that away style atmosphere to the ground that @NUFC91has mentioned too.

Well done for pushing it mate,  I just wish the club asked every fan and went from there, honestly think 6k in one big area or strawberry and Leazes corners would of been cracking. 

Yep maybe it's time to look at a fan group so to speak to actually push this as well.

3 hours ago, Wandy said:

I don't think many chucked their tickets in at the first sign of trouble though. For instance, I'd say most of the 10,000 who walked in 2019 did it out of sheer exasperation and desperation to make a difference, even if it meant losing a seat that they probably have had for a long time.

It's a lot easier to just click the renewal button on a season ticket, and thus keep your Saturday day out, than it is to walk away from one when you have been a supporter for decades.

For THIRTY years me and the wife were season ticket holders, sitting in the East Stand.  When Rafa walked we walked.  It killed us at the time but we have adjusted and feel we made an impact on the fat parasite selling.

Fucking hell reading twitter comments we have somd of the most selfish pricks of a fanbase in the country.

"Whats point if it doesnt increase capacity" 

"Why not ask fans who will have to move and not people who want to stand"

These aren't supporters man..the day we win something (hopefully) who gives a fuck where your season ticket is. Whats hard to understand that we are putting the team first not some prick who wanks over sitting in same seat for 30 years..

There was many times at SJP where different areas would be singing different songs at the same time or better yet, the same song but slightly out of sync with each other. When your stand finished or reached a pause it was like a couple echoes from the other stands. They were the best atmos.

Had a season ticket in the East Stand from 1991 - pre Keegan, pre Premier League, in our worst ever year, being one of those that jacked in at the first sign of trouble.

Edited by Jonas

1 minute ago, Jonas said:

There many was times at SJP where different areas would be singing different songs at the same time or better yet, the same song but slightly out of sync with each other. When your stand finished it was like a couple echoes.

Seemed more authentic and raw than in unison.

Had a season ticket in the East Stand from 1991 - pre Keegan, pre Premier League, in our worst ever year, as a jack in at the first sign of trouble type.

That was the year we got our season tickets. 1991/92 season, also East Stand (family enclosure). Crowds dipped below 15k a couple of times but even back then you had the Corner and the Scoreboard singing, the Leazes next to the away fans and also the Milburn Stand Leazes wing which always sounded the loudest because of the roof.

Looking back we had a totally different type of fanbase than we do now.

I think the problem is the concept of season tickets tbh. Too many ST holders are there for no other reason than the fact they've always been there. It doesn't encourage an atmosphere as the concept (and people) is stale.

2 hours ago, Rod said:

For THIRTY years me and the wife were season ticket holders, sitting in the East Stand.  When Rafa walked we walked.  It killed us at the time but we have adjusted and feel we made an impact on the fat parasite selling.

No doubt in my mind that it was at this point when Ashley knew the game was up. When you have to give 10k season tickets away you know the writing is on the wall. And if people like you had not made the sacrifice then Ashley would still be there.

2 hours ago, NUFC91 said:

Fucking hell reading twitter comments we have somd of the most selfish pricks of a fanbase in the country.

"Whats point if it doesnt increase capacity" 

"Why not ask fans who will have to move and not people who want to stand"

These aren't supporters man..the day we win something (hopefully) who gives a fuck where your season ticket is. Whats hard to understand that we are putting the team first not some prick who wanks over sitting in same seat for 30 years..

Don't make the mistake of thinking Twitter is representative. They're definitely not and you'll drive yourself nuts if you think they are, the 'Twitter fan' is a different breed that's genuinely brain-damaged and isn't unique to us, they're like that across the fanbases.

Our support has lost its edge it’s as simple as that, compared to other big clubs support we look like mice.

We seemed to have lost an older generation who used to go and there’s no groups of younger lads to take their place. Football has changed but a lot of clubs have still retained a hardcore of lads who attend the match in big groups.

The Ashley generation of folk just being happy to fill their Saturday afternoon in reign supreme in the majority. They we’re mutes when he was running the club into the ground and mutes at Wembley.

They’ll not raise their voices in relation to anything seriously damaging the club, but will boo and moan their tits off when Longstaff gets caught on the ball.

Newcastle losing doesn’t spoil their weekend and asking them to move seats to create an atmosphere, you’ve got to be kidding they’ll look at you as if you’re fucking stupid.

Some of these cunts had the audacity to have a go at supporters at Wembley for standing and trying to create an atmosphere. 

Anyone at Old Trafford for the Spurs semi will remember everyone standing in that big stand and it moving due to the noise, that’s right an all seater stand didn’t stop the crowd that day, contrast that to the pitiful excuse of day trippers who turned up at Wembley to support the club.

The current crowd need a shake up and if it means upsetting folk who don’t want to stand fucking tough. Move the cunts and let some passionate fans save the reputation of a once passionate and proud fanbase.

Didn't level 7 used to have an unofficial singing section at one point?

Used to get cheap tickets there and sing with the radgies next to the away fans. Doesn't seem like it's there anymore but it was canny.