Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

5 hours ago, LFEE said:

It’s related to modern society also and how the frail the younger generation struggle to deal with setbacks and start feeling sorry for themselves along with the need for their attention to be held constantly. It’s the same at gigs now. If the hits aren’t being played people start get drawn back to their phones or start chatting amongst themselves.

The *younger* generation being frail and feeling sorry for themselves. :lol: Dear me. Generational generalisations are not very useful, but if it’s any generations that fit that, it’s certainly not the younger ones. Attention is a fairer point, given the way they were raised with internet and smartphones 

Edited by Superior Acuña

5 minutes ago, Superior Acuña said:

The *younger* generation being frail and feeling sorry for themselves. :lol: Dear me. Generational generalisations are not very useful, but if it’s any generations that fit that, it’s certainly not the younger ones. Attention is a fairer point, given the way they were raised with internet and smartphones 

Sorry, only read half of that to go flick through tik tok 

8 hours ago, TheDimpleboy said:

Thought it was a bit below average me. Don't get me wrong, absolutely fantastic scenes when the winner went in and celebrating long after the final whistle.

But there were some very large periods of quiet which I'm not too used to at away games. Certainly well below the last time I was here with the two Karl Darlow saves. 

That being said, I was at the right hand side of the away end (if you're facing the pitch), and I could hear the left hand side of our away end giving it a good go. Just didn't seem to spread for some reason.

Their home support was tremendous like, possibly best I've heard. 

Agree with this. Wasn’t bad, but certainly periods of nervous quiet as opposed to non-stop singing. Understandable mind, really felt like one of those days after the ridiculous disallowed goal. Scenes at the end more than made up for it though. And aye, thought their fans were mint.

12 hours ago, Choppy Chop Chop said:

DRUMS 

Went there for a match back in August against Hoffenheim. They were absolutely rotten that day and lost 3-0, Diaby non existent as well, but the crowd never stopped for 90 minutes. An absolutely incredible show for support and this is a club that is known in Germany for having a bit of a "plastic" fanbase due to them being owned by the Bayer Pharmaceutical company and not member owned like all the traditional clubs. The Ultras in the Nord Kurve forced the players to come over and apologise to them at full time which was quite funny to watch!

Went to watch Eintracht Frankfurt v Cologne the following day, 2 traditionally loud and well supported clubs, a much more even game that finished 1-1 but the atmosphere in Leverkusen was far better much to my surprise.

2 hours ago, Wallsendmag said:

Went there for a match back in August against Hoffenheim. They were absolutely rotten that day and lost 3-0, Diaby non existent as well, but the crowd never stopped for 90 minutes. An absolutely incredible show for support and this is a club that is known in Germany for having a bit of a "plastic" fanbase due to them being owned by the Bayer Pharmaceutical company and not member owned like all the traditional clubs. The Ultras in the Nord Kurve forced the players to come over and apologise to them at full time which was quite funny to watch!

Went to watch Eintracht Frankfurt v Cologne the following day, 2 traditionally loud and well supported clubs, a much more even game that finished 1-1 but the atmosphere in Leverkusen was far better much to my surprise.

European football outside of UK have kept that working class element of football. Don't see anyone on phones or blogging. We've long last that, what does help at them clubs is an ultras/lads end where you are expected to be loud and proud for 90 mins...sadly thats issue with British grounds.

I don't fully understand why British clubs don't have ultras... maybe we're too British to get involved in that kind of thing. 

TBF it's not really fair to compare our crowds to only the loudest few thousand of theirs. We don't have a mechanism to get all the rowdy lads in one place. 

Just got an email saying my seat is part of the trial. One good thing i suppose. Saves me getting letters warning me for standing (on the back row ffs)

Also mentioned this before but I'm top of a stairwell be interesting to see what they do

Better than it being Gallowgate Upper which was mooted by the club.

Hopefully it is a big success and it can be rolled out properly. Hopefully I can get in there one day! No chance if it’s only 1800 mind.

As others say, it’s a start. From the discussions we knew they were never going to open with 10k straight away.

Maybe it won’t make much difference but we’re getting there.

I'd say there's probably less than a 1000 stand at the minute like, lower down the blocks sit, so there could be chances a few wanting to move to seated areas

Either that or half the standing section will be sat on their rail seats...which wouldn't surprise me if it's the same people in these seats..

Edited by jack j

2 hours ago, jack j said:

I'd say there's probably less than a 1000 stand at the minute like, lower down the blocks sit, so there could be chances a few wanting to move to seated areas

Either that or half the standing section will be sat on their rail seats...which wouldn't surprise me if it's the same people in these seats..

That would be such a waste and why anyone who doesn’t want to stand should be encouraged to shift.

42 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Hopefully everyone in that section will be offered a move if they don’t want to stand. Seems to make sense. 

Yes the email says that. But just thinking I can see a few chancing it on the back of the current people all sitting in these spots

But as someone says it only takes one person to stand and block their view and its game over anyway

Here’s an 8 minute sample of the Stretford End all standing and singing. I fucking despise the cunts but i don’t see how anyone can say our current atmosphere compares.

I’ve seen every argument under the sun on here such as large stadiums aren’t conducive, times have changed etc.

But that’s all it is excuses, for this video I could have pulled out one from Leeds, Forrest etc which again would piss all over our current atmosphere.

The Strawberry Corner is a start but to see fans already whingeing on about having to stand is embarrassing, especially when you’ve got practically a full end standing up in this video.

There needs to be a massive fan culture shift at SJP starting with the Strawberry corner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AFpCzxlByc

Edited by Whitley mag