Match Atmosphere

Wandy

Singing Section at SJP - Poll  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a large singing/standing section at St James' Park?

• Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder and I would want to be a part of it
    • Yes. I'm an existing season ticket holder but wouldn't want to be part of it, but I would move to a seat somewhere else if the singing section was to be where I currently sit....as long as I was happy with the new seat.
    • No. The atmosphere is fine as it is.
    • No. The atmosphere needs to improve but this isn't the answer.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want one in the singing section.
    • Yes. I'm just a member at the moment but would want a season ticket in a non-singing section. But a singing section needs to happen to let people who want to sing be together

32 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

It was ok prior to this season and ticketing falls under his control as far as I’m aware, happy to be corrected though.

People also complaining of empty seats again yesterday, another fall out of these ID checks, absolutely crackers that if someone falls unwell and can’t go, the only option is an empty seat and 1 less person being able to support team.

Its draconian and the fact their corporate clientele isn’t subjected to this is discriminatory and leaving a very bad taste.

Let’s have a bit of honesty here. People all of a sudden aren’t taking ill. So let’s nip that narrative in the bud. Thats being pedalled to go against ID checks.

Its either people buying for points not going or what seems like an increased hospitality/competition winning element who will on the day not fancy it and not even think about passing the tickets on elsewhere which is probably the bigger of the two problems but I have nothing to back that up with. Just basing it on mindsets.

Also there is an away element who clump together and don’t use their own seats so some may quite often look unused but they are for people who are standing 2:1 elsewhere.

The away end looked full on TV with no obvious gaps.

Whatever the reason, it’s clear that there are gaps and the atmosphere is worse this season than before. I also think it’s fair to say that the people running the club only have a very corporate view of the game. They need fans to voice opinions on how to improve the match going experience. We’re often told how great we are as a fan base but with no action we’ll be as shite as most other clubs in the league. 

re ST holders not turning up.

We have a system whereby, once a game is sold out, ST holders who don't fancy it / can't make it can resell their ticket through the club, for your ST price / 19, and minus 10% (I think) for them.

3 minutes ago, brummie said:

re ST holders not turning up.

We have a system whereby, once a game is sold out, ST holders who don't fancy it / can't make it can resell their ticket through the club, for your ST price / 19, and minus 10% (I think) for them.

Aye we can for home games

This is away games where some buy the ticket to accumulate the loyalty point but don't go to the game

1 minute ago, jack j said:

Aye we can for home games

This is away games where some buy the ticket to accumulate the loyalty point but don't go to the game

Ah sorry

Oh and yes, re away games, we have the same problem.

It's a difficult one. They want to reward loyalty, yes, but the flip side is that it makes it almost impossible to get an away ticket unless you've not missed a game, home and away, for ages.

Edited by brummie

2 hours ago, brummie said:

Ah sorry

Oh and yes, re away games, we have the same problem.

It's a difficult one. They want to reward loyalty, yes, but the flip side is that it makes it almost impossible to get an away ticket unless you've not missed a game, home and away, for ages.

Yep definetly an issue for a few clubs. We also had some top away lads who never had season tickets who can't get a ticket now, suppose it's hard to please everyone. My main issue is club taking big chunk of tickets. Seen fans at away games this year who've never been to a home game yet honest fans can't get a ticket.

4 hours ago, TheGuv said:

I think this is only going to continue getting a lot worse as more and more people become more and more pissed off too.

I will be attending the Trust AGM again in January and implore as many of you as possible to come along. The Head of Supporter Services will be there, and I’ll be directing a lot of questions at her - despite me having to ask it via the board. But it will be obvious I am directing it at the Club. Hopefully plenty more are willing to do the same?

It’s all a shambles and this was all called out by many at the start of the season. Totally unavoidable - but the Club have just dug their heels in. They are not infallible. And they need to be fucking told so.

Yep trust, supporters club, wor flags should all be vocal on below main points 

Seat relocations- allow a large section for standing and like minded fans

Ballot tickets- allow fans to choose own seats.

Scrap i.d checks

Sort how ballots work so can accumalate loyalty 

West Ham - dead

Man United - dead, okay its to be expected but it is against City.

Its more just the way it is and has been for a long time in the UK now except for the odd crest of a wave thing like Forest last season where its typically one of the worst places.

Sat watching the Manchester derby there, I know it's been mentioned us wanting to emulate Man Utd to a degree. 

Who in the right mind can't see that Old Trafford is wank. It's quiet, not at all intimidating and it's a detriment to the team and the club. Do we think any of those Man Utd players relish games at Old Trafford? Does the crowd ever lift them? Absolutely not.

Surely some cunt at the club can recognise that the SJP crowd can be an asset to the club? These lot, who remit is increasing revenue at any cost need to be brought into line and someone has to realise that sanitising the atmosphere at St James's is going to cost us more than the meagre increases in commercial revenue from a half full fuckin 'Wings' area and the likes. 

Edited by Doctor Zaius

6 hours ago, Whitley mag said:

Absolutely crackers why would you help the away fans create an atmosphere, Silverstone might be fulfilling his remit of bringing in sponsors, but him and his minions have no idea about ticketing, or fan consultation.

Having read bits on the internet around Arsenal’s ticketing, it seems he has previous for it becoming an absolute shit fest with empty seats and touts.

Since he's left Arsenal they've gone for having the quietest ground in the league to one of the most atmospheric, which now includes a singing/standing section next to to the away fans.

On the subject of atmosphere I'm currently sat on a train bound for Schiphol Airport having been to watch Borussia Monchengladbach yesterday and PSV Eindhoven today. Both stadiums absolutely piss on SJP for atmosphere. Fair enough PSV have just beaten Ajax 5-2 so you'd expect it to be bouncing, but Gladbach were playing Heidenheim and scraped past them 2-1. They've got a terrace behind one of the goals that holds around 16k and they never let up the full match. Just a barrage of noise and colour. 

Hits home how far we are behind on this Country 

6 hours ago, LFEE said:

Let’s have a bit of honesty here. People all of a sudden aren’t taking ill. So let’s nip that narrative in the bud. Thats being pedalled to go against ID checks.

Its either people buying for points not going or what seems like an increased hospitality/competition winning element who will on the day not fancy it and not even think about passing the tickets on elsewhere which is probably the bigger of the two problems but I have nothing to back that up with. Just basing it on mindsets.

Also there is an away element who clump together and don’t use their own seats so some may quite often look unused but they are for people who are standing 2:1 elsewhere.

The away end looked full on TV with no obvious gaps.

Rows of empty seats knocking about again according to people who were there.

This may well indicate corporate if true, but there’s always been spares for away games over the years due to people pulling out for whatever reason, it can’t be right that these tickets now must go unused and leave empty seats in the away end.

If corporate tickets are just going unused for away games when thousands would snap them up something  is very wrong.

Think Silverstone in charge of ticketing and bringing in sponsors is a disaster. The blokes got history with Arsenal and needs to be held accountable for these current issues by NUST particularly.

https://x.com/stevewallwork/status/1718349503533563911?s=20

Edited by Whitley mag

1 hour ago, Wolfcastle said:

West Ham - dead

Man United - dead, okay its to be expected but it is against City.

Its more just the way it is and has been for a long time in the UK now except for the odd crest of a wave thing like Forest last season where its typically one of the worst places.

Sorry but that’s an awful take. Just because some other clubs have no atmosphere does not mean that we have to be the same.

City’s away support was class today btw. Once again nailing the myth that sustained success has killed the terrace culture in their support.

22 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Sorry but that’s an awful take. Just because some other clubs have no atmosphere does not mean that we have to be the same.

City’s away support was class today btw. Once again nailing the myth that sustained success has killed the terrace culture in their support.

It was a derby tbf.  Do they do similar away to Brighton on a Wednesday night?

2 minutes ago, Sima said:

It was a derby tbf.  Do they do similar away to Brighton on a Wednesday night?

Can only speak for their games that I’ve watched but their fans always seem loud to me. They completely outsang us in the cup game last month, that’s for sure. Their songbook is much better too.

5 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Can only speak for their games that I’ve watched but their fans always seem loud to me. They completely outsang us in the cup game last month, that’s for sure. Their songbook is much better too.

Aye we were sat underneath them for the Cup match last month. Thought they were excellent.

4 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

Aye we were sat underneath them for the Cup match last month. Thought they were excellent.

I would have hated being underneath them at that game. I was at the Gallowgate end of Level 7 and they sounded loud as fuck even from there.

24 minutes ago, Wandy said:

18 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

And yet I was sat in the Gallowgate and hardly heard them. Just our lot backing the team vocally. Maybe not so much singing but vocal support which is more important to the team.

This highlights you can get a completely different take on each individual game depending on where you are sat/stood in SJP.

1 minute ago, LFEE said:

And yet I was sat in the Gallowgate and hardly heard them. Just our lot backing the team vocally. Maybe not so much singing but vocal support which is more important to the team.

This highlights you can get a completely different take on each individual game depending on where you are sat/stood in SJP.

My seat gave a good opportunity to hear both ends of the ground. Sure, the Gallowgate corner gave it their all throughout as usual but the main section of the Gallowgate were quiet as a mouse. City were much louder I’m afraid.

It's all about right lads together, hence I'm big on seat relocations and get a loads of lads in leazes.

Not sure how many were at Chelsea away last season for final game but atmosphere was unbelievable, it was 90 mins of relentless noise. My mate who stands in mathew harding end said best u.k side atmosphere he seen in last 20 years. That shows what happens when everyones up for it

Edited by NUFC91

1 minute ago, Wandy said:

My seat gave a good opportunity to hear both ends of the ground. Sure, the Gallowgate corner gave it their all throughout as usual but the main section of the Gallowgate were quiet as a mouse. City were much louder I’m afraid.

From what I remember (sit underneath away fans but reasonably towards the front) they were very good/loud in the first half but tailed off noticeably after they went behind.

Kind of understandably like as they were given very little to get behind on the pitch from that point.

Just now, NUFC91 said:

It's all about right lads together, hence I'm big on seat relocations and get a loads of lads in leazes.

Not sure how many were at Chelsea away last season for final game, it was 90 mins of relentless noise. My mate who stands in mathew harding end said best u.k side atmosphere he seen in last 20 mins. That shows what happens when everyones up for it

Only problem is, that day it would have been full of people who got their tickets through ST holding mates. I seriously doubt it will be like that at Chelsea this season.

1 minute ago, SteV said:

From what I remember (sit underneath away fans but reasonably towards the front) they were very good/loud in the first half but tailed off noticeably after they went behind.

Kind of understandably like as they were given very little to get behind on the pitch from that point.

This mirrors how I felt, was right in front of the Leazes/Milburn corner flag. The first half almost felt like a load of our lot had given up after seeing the teamsheet and were just there to sit in reverence and enjoy watching City

1 minute ago, Wandy said:

Only problem is, that day it would have been full of people who got their tickets through ST holding mates. I seriously doubt it will be like that at Chelsea this season.

It also helped it was a beautiful summers day and we’d just secured 4th place and absolutely nothing at stake the whole game after what had been a memorable season.

1 minute ago, SteV said:

Fair point. I did notice that too. Generally though, they were excellent, with loads of different songs.

Not going to lie, it annoys me no end how other fan bases have a varied songbook and ours are now just generic rip-offs of others’ songs.