Champions League 2023/2024: Group F (Newcastle, Milan, Dortmund, PSG)

Marko NUFC

Champions Path:
Aris Limassol 0 Rakow 1 (agg 1-3)
Maccabi Haifa 3 Slovan Bratislava 1 (agg 5-2)
Molde 2 Klaksvik 0 (AET, agg 3-2)
Sparta Prague 3 FC Copenhagen 3 (agg 3-3, Copenhagen win 4-2 on pens)
Dinamo Zagreb 1 AEK Athens 2 (first leg)
Galatasaray 1 Olimpija Ljubljana 0 (agg 4-0)

League Path:
Backa Topola (TSC) 1 Braga 4 (agg 1-7)
Servette 1 Rangers 1 (agg 2-3)
Sturm Graz 1 PSV 3 (agg 2-7)
Marseille 2 Panathinaikos 1 (agg 2-2, Panathinaikos win 5-3 on pens)

FINAL PLAYOFF ROUND

Maccabi Haifa vs Young Boys
Antwerp vs AEK/D Zagreb
Rakow vs Copenhagen
Molde vs Galatasaray

Rangers vs PSV
Braga vs Panathinaikos

I believe the following pots are correct should the teams below come through the playoff, but please correct if I'm wrong:

D Zagreb 55.000 - POT 3

Rangers 54.000 - POT 3
Braga 44.000 - POT 3
PSV 43.000 - POT 3
Copenhagen 40.500 - POT 3 or 4
Young Boys 34.500 - POT 3 or 4
Galatasaray 31.500 - POT 3 or 4
Molde 24.000 - POT 4
Antwerp 17.000 - POT 4
Maccabi Haifa 13.000 - POT 4
AEK 11.000 - POT 4
Panathinaikos 5.045 - POT 4
Rakow 5.000 - POT 4

cl.thumb.png.fbcf69ebc229176c850e152ff4da1c19.png

So we are defo in Pot 4 and can't play anyone from Molde down. Very unlikely we will play Gala or Celtic either. 

Edited by Paullow

Copenhagen or Braga would be a class wild card pot 3 with two giants from the top pots. Decent allocations at both your think as neither sell out too often and in Denmark boozing in public is actively encouraged and I’m sure Rangers took around 8,000 to Braga last season (or the one before).

Rakow’s ground holds 5,500 and they’re playing their next game elsewhere but only holds 9,500 so fuck knows what’d be the crack if they get through. Bit of a trek to somewhere a bit bigger looking on Gewgle.

6 minutes ago, Disco said:

Copenhagen or Braga would be a class wild card pot 3 with two giants from the top pots. Decent allocations at both your think as neither sell out too often and in Denmark boozing in public is actively encouraged and I’m sure Rangers took around 8,000 to Braga last season (or the one before).

Rakow’s ground holds 5,500 and they’re playing their next game elsewhere but only holds 9,500 so fuck knows what’d be the crack if they get through. Bit of a trek to somewhere a bit bigger looking on Gewgle.

Aye, having to go to Sosnowiec, outskirts of Katowice. I imagine they'd have to play there if they get through given they're there for the next round? Club are putting on additional chartered rail travel for fans as well as bus travel, is an hour's drive. 

Got a grim WWII history, Sosnowiec. Like most Polish cities tbh.

Aye, not too from the bad place in that part of Poland. My sister in law to be is from Łódź which isn’t a million miles away from Rakow’s actual home which might be an

option if they wanted to maximise ticket sales. Don’t seem to be doing overly great this season so can’t imagine they’ll put up too much of a fight on the field.

Been looking at player registration for the CL and we're short of being able to register a full squad and some first team squad players will have to miss out. 

Registered players 

Can register up to 25, which must include 8 nation home grown players and 4 club home grown players. We only have 2 club home grown players, so can only register up to 23.

1. Martin Dubravka
  2. Kieran Trippier (HG)
  3. Paul Dummett (Club HG)
  4. Sven Botman
  5. Fabian Schar
  6. Jamaal Lascelles (HG)
  7. Joelinton
  8. Sandro Tonali
  9. Callum Wilson (HG)
  10. Anthony Gordon (HG)
  11. Matt Targett (HG)
  12. Matt Ritchie
  13. Alexander Isak
  14. Harvey Barnes (HG)
  15. Loris Karius
  16. Tino Livramento (HG)
  17. Nick Pope (HG)
  18. Jacob Murphy (HG)
  19. Miguel Almiron
  20. Joe Willock (HG)
  21. Dan Burn (HG)
  22. Sean Longstaff (Club HG)
  23. Bruno Guimaraes

Club home grown but can play without registration as under 21 and been at club longer than 2 years

Elliott Anderson

Lewis Miley

+ other youth like Parkinson, Turner-Cooke etc.

Left out?

Emil Krafth

Javi Manquillo

Mark Gillespie

Alex Murphy (signed last summer, so not been at club 2 years yet)

If Lewis Hall comes in he'd have to be registered to play too, as while he's under 21 he's not been at the club 2 years. That'd mean we'd have to push another player out of the 23 to make space for him (Ritchie?).

Edited by Smal

Agree though that the homegrown keeper thing seems an easy win for us to get a slightly bigger squad registered and I'm surprised we haven't looked at it instead looking to renew Karius and Gillespie.

Krul, Forster, Woodman, even Alnwick tbh. We probably have more club grown keepers knocking around than most clubs at a reasonable level.

Particularly the first two could have easily performed Karius role as third choice. I'd probably have equal trust in Forster as I do Dubravka these days too tbh.

This will not be an issue in coming years as players get club grown status for us or we have a stronger academy so can pad out with u21. But it does limit us a little bit in the short term.

Edited by ponsaelius

2 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Agree though that the homegrown keeper thing seems an easy win for us to get a slightly bigger squad registered and I'm surprised we haven't looked at it instead looking to renew Karius and Gillespie.

Krul, Forster, Woodman, even Alnwick tbh. We probably have more club grown keepers knocking around than most clubs at a reasonable level.

Particularly the first two could have easily performed Karius role as third choice. I'd probably have equal trust in Forster as I do Dubravka these days too tbh.

This will not be an issue in coming years as players get club grown status for us or we have a stronger academy so can pad out with u21. But it does limit us a little bit in the short term.

yeah, agreed. If we get Hall he’s young enough that he’ll be classed as club home grown in 3 years too.

We don't HAVE to register Anderson and Miley but if we did they would count as club home grown and then we would be able to register 25 is that right?

So that would leave one space for Hall in the 25? 

Edited by Mazzy

1 minute ago, Mazzy said:

We don't HAVE to register Anderson and Miley but if we did they would count as club home grown and then we would be able to register 25 is that right?

So with Gillespie not needed in that list it would leave space for Hall in the 25. Or have I got that wrong?

Yeah, I’ve edited the list now and put Ritchie in for Gillespie. If signing Hall I think you’d just swap Ritchie back out again.

14 hours ago, duo said:

Is SA Pro League enters the CL where does that leave Newcastle? :howe:

Its gonna take a very long time time until that becomes a reality, if it ever does. 

Would be a bigger outrage than UEFA could manage if they let them in in the current state where they obviously arent complying with the FFP rules.