Yankuba Minteh (now playing for Brighton & Hove Albion)

OK you fuckers, you want my opinion on this? Oh, I see. Right then.

Cheerio lads. I'll be off then.

(it is getting tedious)

Edited by McDog

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

You might’ve been happy to sell regardless. But the wider view in the game is that Minteh could end up being worth much more than that pretty soon. Which is why a decent number of clubs wanted him at £30m+. It’s like selling a stock in a company that you bought early for cheap when the market thinks it’s going to continue to do well. 

I also don’t think the club thought it’s the optimal time to sell either. But we had debts to pay and it was the stock or the car or the house that had to go. 

You can crap on as much as you want to. He is totally unproven within a major league. Time will tell if he will actually be even premier league quality. It was him or Gordon and the correct decision was made. That's my view and I think it's time to stop keep going on about him as people are getting irritated. I'm not even going to bother looking at this thread in future as he's not our player anymore 

7 hours ago, Kanji said:

It’s so fucking mind numbing. Seriously shut the fuck up over it. 

More fool you opening a thread titled ‘

Yankuba Minteh (now playing for Brighton & Hove Albion)’ and expecting anything else. Some might even say it’s stupidity 

same goes for anyone else moaning about any other threads. If it annoys you don’t open the thread it’s as simple as it gets 

Edited by gdm

7 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

You might’ve been happy to sell regardless. But the wider view in the game is that Minteh could end up being worth much more than that pretty soon. Which is why a decent number of clubs wanted him at £30m+. It’s like selling a stock in a company that you bought early for cheap when the market thinks it’s going to continue to do well. 

I also don’t think the club thought it’s the optimal time to sell either. But we had debts to pay and it was the stock or the car or the house that had to go. 

Mate - a £300m revenue per year business needs hard plans for rules that will directly impact business performance. Being prepared means having several actionable plans in good time. In this case That means September or January at the latest. Selling Minteh - could not have been one of them until fairly late in the game.  

Eales said we would probably need to sell a purple…. Because he planned to sell a purple (Bruno) or a blue (Joelinton).  

Chelsea’s FFP strategy is to find loopholes and sell academy products. 

I know we didn’t plan to do the loophole thing until late in the day because our dodgy transfers with Forest were very very shit.  

The most successful businesses take risks too. It's ridiculous to say we didn't have a plan, when we're PSR compliant.

You say the plan was to sell Bruno, and you point to his release clause and the timing of it. Sometimes you mention the contract situation of big Joe, saying we could have sold him.

I can also mention Almiron, Tripps, and maybe Wilson in January. We didn't manage to sell them, but those were plans. We had them, but they didn't work out. No one came in for Bruno, Almiron refused to go to the Saudis, and the offers for Wilson and Tripps weren't good enough.

What I don't understand, or maybe it's just funny to me, is that you say the club didn't have a plan or didn't plan for the PSR. But you mention Bruno's release clause, Big Joe, and others in the January transfer window. Those seem like plans to me, even though they didn't work out. The last-ditch plan or solution was to sell Minteh and do a shady deal with Forrest.

Amanda warned us that the big six clubs wouldn't help us and would try to take advantage of us. That's why there are always reports about Isak going to Arsenal for 75 million and so on.

You mentioned Eales and selling a purple or a blue player. I think he thought selling Minteh, who is neither purple nor blue, was a better idea.

It'll be interesting to see how things play out as the season goes on.

It’s all about perspective. Some of us are old enough to have seen us sell off some of the greatest British talent since George Best. 
image.gif.27bb1bbccc63ae94abe643516c8b3860.gif

8 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

If it wasn’t for doing last minute shady deals with Forest AND getting comp for Ashworth - we still would’ve had to sell a purple.  

What are you suggesting would have been a better plan?

We can't magically have sold our academy youngsters for £20mil like Villa

25 minutes ago, joeyt said:

What are you suggesting would have been a better plan?

We can't magically have sold our academy youngsters for £20mil like Villa

Been more proactive in doing shady deals and loopholes.  Signing more players to flip.  
not given Joelinton the new contract until wee were good FFP wise. 
Spent a little less money in previous windows.

make it clearer to players that they need to leave and make sure Eddie supports it publicly.  

In the end we got away with it and did the best we could in the last few weeks. Better Minteh than Gordon.  But to end up there was bad - we almost still ended up there too.

I think the club has already pivoted. I don’t think we’ll let ourselves be caught in such a last minute scramble.  

I think had Ashworth stayed or not had his head turned we would’ve navigated the process smoother.  

1 hour ago, tarie4 said:

The most successful businesses take risks too. It's ridiculous to say we didn't have a plan, when we're PSR compliant.

You say the plan was to sell Bruno, and you point to his release clause and the timing of it. Sometimes you mention the contract situation of big Joe, saying we could have sold him.

I can also mention Almiron, Tripps, and maybe Wilson in January. We didn't manage to sell them, but those were plans. We had them, but they didn't work out. No one came in for Bruno, Almiron refused to go to the Saudis, and the offers for Wilson and Tripps weren't good enough.

What I don't understand, or maybe it's just funny to me, is that you say the club didn't have a plan or didn't plan for the PSR. But you mention Bruno's release clause, Big Joe, and others in the January transfer window. Those seem like plans to me, even though they didn't work out. The last-ditch plan or solution was to sell Minteh and do a shady deal with Forrest.

Amanda warned us that the big six clubs wouldn't help us and would try to take advantage of us. That's why there are always reports about Isak going to Arsenal for 75 million and so on.

You mentioned Eales and selling a purple or a blue player. I think he thought selling Minteh, who is neither purple nor blue, was a better idea.

It'll be interesting to see how things play out as the season goes on.

In January 2024 Best case scenario Ashworth planned to sell Bruno (solving all FFP issues + funds to spend more) or Joelinton and smaller sales.2 solid plans.  

In January Minteh isn’t worth £30m+ so selling him wouldn’t have been a realistic plan.  

When Ashworth left I think Staveley and co. overstepped and got the Joelinton deal done. That meant the only way to cleanly be compliant was to sell a purple.  

We apparently tried to shift the 3 players you named in January. That doesn’t close the gap enough. 

1 hour ago, r0cafella said:

Am I the only one who thinks he’s going to be really good but we did the right thing selling? :lol:

I think everyone agrees it was the right decision given the circumstances. 

I think the club and fans feel we shouldn’t have been in that position though.  

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Truthfully the position couldn’t have been avoided imho. I know what you’re saying and understand your reasoning but I don’t see it. If we didn’t sign Tino for example we’d have been screwed when trips was missing. I know people will point to Barnes too and whilst I agree he was the right player wrong time I still would have had us spending that money on a rw. 

We needed to invest heavily to close the massive gap and we’ve actually come through the over side unscathed, the perfect deal doesn’t exist and all that. 

Just now, The College Dropout said:

I personally think a couple of last seasons transfers were a bit luxury in terms of price. 

And I think we should’ve been doing dodgy deals a lot earlier.

I think if we take a step back and look with the Benefit of hindsight your point holds weight. But at the time, we were talking about Tonali being a bargain it was the point deduction that focused the minds. 

21 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

[emoji38]

9 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I personally think a couple of last seasons transfers were a bit luxury in terms of price. 

And I think we should’ve been doing dodgy deals a lot earlier.

Really? You never mentioned it

3 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

I think if we take a step back and look with the Benefit of hindsight your point holds weight. But at the time, we were talking about Tonali being a bargain it was the point deduction that focused the minds. 

I don’t think anyone thought Tonali was a bargain mind. That was a marquee signing. 

I think the idea of buying Tonali (or whatever premium CM), selling Bruno the next summer at peak value to align FFP and afford another premium CM actually makes a bit of sense. You would hope we’d be in Europe in that scenario. 

I don’t think anyone thought Tonali was a bargain mind. That was a marquee signing. 

I think the idea of buying Tonali (or whatever premium CM), selling Bruno the next summer at peak value to align FFP and afford another premium CM actually makes a bit of sense. You would hope we’d be in Europe in that scenario. 

Cmon nobody batted an eyelid when we got Tonali, the price was totally fine. I’m also pretty sure most fans are perfectly happy having Tonali Bruno and big Joe in midfield, I don’t think we can better that midfield if we let Bruno go. 

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

Cmon nobody batted an eyelid when we got Tonali, the price was totally fine. I’m also pretty sure most fans are perfectly happy having Tonali Bruno and big Joe in midfield, I don’t think we can better that midfield if we let Bruno go. 

Tbf nobody knew our FFP position last summer. That Milan fan on here and reports in the media were that we’ve paid top dollar leaving Milan no choice but to sell. 

I fully agree that midfield is awesome. But financially if we are to play FFP straight - we’ll need to sell and reinvest. 

If we played FFP straight we would’ve sold Gordon it seems. Or Bruno or Joelinton before the contract. 

Chelsea and Villa keep signing players they could resell in the short term to help navigate FFP. Their medium term FFP strategy is to keep doing these transfers. They have better academy players to do it but they are also bringing in more players for that purpose at a high clip.  Inflate the selling fee but buy promising youngsters from that club to sell next season. 

Tbf nobody knew our FFP position last summer. That Milan fan on here and reports in the media were that we’ve paid top dollar leaving Milan no choice but to sell. 

I fully agree that midfield is awesome. But financially if we are to play FFP straight - we’ll need to sell and reinvest. 

If we played FFP straight we would’ve sold Gordon it seems. Or Bruno or Joelinton before the contract. 

Chelsea and Villa keep signing players they could resell in the short term to help navigate FFP. Their medium term FFP strategy is to keep doing these transfers. They have better academy players to do it but they are also bringing in more players for that purpose at a high clip.  Inflate the selling fee but buy promising youngsters from that club to sell next season. 

It’s been obvious if FFP were to be imposed our FFP position was bad, the numbers have been clear for awhile. 

your speaking about player trading and it’s exactly what we’ve done with Minteh and Anderson, we’ve let two fringe players go for massive money and are clear now to keep our star players who nobody wants to lose. 

On this front we’ve been damn near perfect. I think questions should be asked why certain sponsorships have been done and what the actual goal is. Because as I’ve said many times I don’t see how we bridge the gap financially to enable consistent success. 

It is irritating seeing this thread at the top of the page, habitually going in and seeing the same boring conversation like.

However, it'll never be as bad as being a lock the thread/stop talking nonce. 

4 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

It’s been obvious if FFP were to be imposed our FFP position was bad, the numbers have been clear for awhile. 

your speaking about player trading and it’s exactly what we’ve done with Minteh and Anderson, we’ve let two fringe players go for massive money and are clear now to keep our star players who nobody wants to lose. 

On this front we’ve been damn near perfect. I think questions should be asked why certain sponsorships have been done and what the actual goal is. Because as I’ve said many times I don’t see how we bridge the gap financially to enable consistent success. 

The Anderson deal is fugazi. Which is fine. But is our plan to keep doing fugazi deals? I don’t think it is (yet). 

The Minteh deal - for reasons already mentioned isn’t a great deal financially. Even Chelsea have a sell-on for Hall. City typically have sell-ons or buybacks. Funnily enough they don’t for Palmer because they thought they were ripping Chelsea off with the fee. 

As you say - the only way we bridge the gap is to trade. And it looks like that means trading our best players or brightest prospects (with no way to have a future stake in their value). As you say - we need a better strategy. Commercial deals, dodgy player trading etc. 

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

The Anderson deal is fugazi. Which is fine. But is our plan to keep doing fugazi deals? I don’t think it is (yet). 

The Minteh deal - for reasons already mentioned isn’t a great deal financially. Even Chelsea have a sell-on for Hall. City typically have sell-ons or buybacks. Funnily enough they don’t for Palmer because they thought they were ripping Chelsea off with the fee. 

As you say - the only way we bridge the gap is to trade. And it looks like that means trading our best players or brightest prospects (with no way to have a future stake in their value). As you say - we need a better strategy. Commercial deals, dodgy player trading etc. 

brother nobody wants to give us money for Ben Parkinson. The sellable assets we have at Academt level are either too young to have value to make a difference. ( Sanusi/Sahar ) or Miley whom we obviously shouldn’t be letting go. So that leaves us with the first team squad whom we don’t want (we’ve been trying to shift these guys for 2 years without many offers) or selling Anderson and Minteh. 

I think the pinch In future won’t be as bad as we have higher revenue and a better overall squad now than we did then.