Yankuba Minteh (now playing for Brighton & Hove Albion)

29 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

It is irritating seeing this thread at the top of the page, habitually going in and seeing the same boring conversation like.

However, it'll never be as bad as being a lock the thread/stop talking nonce. 

I'm just thinking of ways I can make it about Manchester United.

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

Been more proactive in doing shady deals and loopholes.  Signing more players to flip.  
not given Joelinton the new contract until wee were good FFP wise. 
Spent a little less money in previous windows.

make it clearer to players that they need to leave and make sure Eddie supports it publicly.  

You were criticising us for being too shady the other day. What other loopholes could we have done? 

And you wanted us to sign more players to make a profit but also spend less money in previous windows?

You said we should buy more players to make a profit but also said the plan can't have been to sell Minteh for profit?

You say all this like it's really obvious when you're contradicting yourself all the time or like you're playing a video game

2 minutes ago, Froggy said:

I'm just thinking of ways I can make it about Manchester United.

You play Brighton second game of the season, so don't worry its not too long a wait until he invariably scores against you ;) 

1 minute ago, 54 said:

You play Brighton second game of the season, so don't worry its not too long a wait until he invariably scores against you ;) 

If Luke Shaw is fit nobody is scoring from the right against us this season.

That being said, Minteh hat trick incoming.

1 minute ago, 54 said:

This place if Minteh scores against ManU 

3 minutes ago, gazza ladra said:

This place if Minteh scores against ManU 

Every time he does anything of note this season this thread is going to be bumped. All he's done is score a couple of goals against lower league level opposition in pre-season and its spawned a 5 page debate. 

This thread will be last seasons ASM :lol: 

31 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

brother nobody wants to give us money for Ben Parkinson. The sellable assets we have at Academt level are either too young to have value to make a difference. ( Sanusi/Sahar ) or Miley whom we obviously shouldn’t be letting go. So that leaves us with the first team squad whom we don’t want (we’ve been trying to shift these guys for 2 years without many offers) or selling Anderson and Minteh. 

I think the pinch In future won’t be as bad as we have higher revenue and a better overall squad now than we did then. 

Villa are doing a cool thing where they ‘sell’ their brightest youngsters for decent money at 18-20 with buybacks. Madrid do that too. 

We could do that with Miley. We should have a backlog of options like that.  Which I think we are planning to do. 

3 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Villa are doing a cool thing where they ‘sell’ their brightest youngsters for decent money at 18-20 with buybacks. Madrid do that too. 

We could do that with Miley. We should have a backlog of options like that.  Which I think we are planning to do. 

The whole point is we don't have a backlog of options like that because the academy has been on its knees for decades

The comparison to Real Madrid is completely pointless

5 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

You aren’t selling players for 35m and getting buybacks. Why pay so much and sell your upside to a distressed seller, it’s a fantasy. 

7 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

You aren’t selling players for 35m and getting buybacks. Why pay so much and sell your upside to a distressed seller, it’s a fantasy. 

You can set the buy back price at around 7-80m. 

It sounds silly but when the youngster become the second coming of Salah, you would glad that such a clause exist.

Just now, Zero said:

It sounds silly but when the youngster become the second coming of Salah, you would glad that such a clause exist.

Yes, we would never trigger such a clause so it’s pointless. 

2 minutes ago, Zero said:

Why would Brighton agree to that?

Just now, joeyt said:

Why would Brighton agree to that?

They likely wouldn’t, for a buy back to be a thing for Brighton (he’s brightons record signing) you’d imagine the fee would have to be a record for them too. So in excess of 100m. 

Now a guy who had a decent season in Eredivisie is the second coming of Salah..

Despite the manager who had him on loan not thinking so - interesting

Edited by Menace

10 hours ago, et tu brute said:

You can crap on as much as you want to. He is totally unproven within a major league. Time will tell if he will actually be even premier league quality. It was him or Gordon and the correct decision was made. That's my view and I think it's time to stop keep going on about him as people are getting irritated. I'm not even going to bother looking at this thread in future as he's not our player anymore 

Will be interesting to see who we can bring in that is totally proven for £30m then. I would imagine it could only be someone in their late 20's who is already at their ceiling.

29 minutes ago, Menace said:

Now a guy who had a decent season in Eredivisie is the second coming of Salah..

Despite the manager who had him on loan not thinking so - interesting

Reading is difficult, isn't it?

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

In January 2024 Best case scenario Ashworth planned to sell Bruno (solving all FFP issues + funds to spend more) or Joelinton and smaller sales.2 solid plans.  

In January Minteh isn’t worth £30m+ so selling him wouldn’t have been a realistic plan.  

When Ashworth left I think Staveley and co. overstepped and got the Joelinton deal done. That meant the only way to cleanly be compliant was to sell a purple.  

We apparently tried to shift the 3 players you named in January. That doesn’t close the gap enough. 

I am curious to understand your reasoning process. As a wise individual once remarked, "It is challenging to convince someone through reasoning alone when they did not arrive at their position through logical reasoning in the first place."

You're just throwing out accusations without giving any real solutions. It's crazy. Ashworth was the one who bought the players in the winter and summer of 2023. So if he was still here today, can you give me some realistic examples of how he would have handled it better?

Please note that the primary objective going into this summer would have been to retain our most valuable players, enhance the starting lineup within budgetary constraints, and ensure compliance with the PSR

Staveley made some moves, mate.

First, she gave big Joe a contract. Selling him for 40 million is just wishful thinking. We'd have to buy a replacement like Onana for 55 million. So not only did we spend more to replace him, but we also blew a big chunk of this season's budget and ended up in the same place.

Then, she sold Minteh for 33 million. Brighton paid 30 million for Pedro. That's some fantastic business, mate.

And let's not forget the shady deal with our pals at Forest.

But here's the thing, as of today, we're PSR compliant. We kept our purples and blues, and if we just spend 60 million between now and the end of the window, it's to improve the first 11, not to replace anyone. She left Mitchell in a strong position.

Now, no reasonable person can say that she and the board overstepped or didn't plan it out properly especially a Newcastle fan, you can't deny that we're in a fantastic position right now.

So, what would Ashworth or someone else have done differently? I'm curious to know your thoughts, mate.

58 minutes ago, Zero said:

This isn’t football manager. The reality is Brighton are not going to break their transfer record and throw in a buy back clause. We needed to get highest price possible and insisting a buy back clause is in there would drive the price down 

53 minutes ago, TRon said:

Will be interesting to see who we can bring in that is totally proven for £30m then. I would imagine it could only be someone in their late 20's who is already at their ceiling.

I was hoping to keep out of here, but you made a point so I will reply. You're totally correct we couldn't for that position and that's why it was a good deal for us. It means we can keep our blue chip players this year and hopefully fund a player with a higher ceiling. I don't personally think he would have been even in our squad this year and that's what we need to push on. 

16 hours ago, Unbelievable said:

Can so many of you stop requesting for a thread to be closed because you cannot handle a few people wanting to discuss how a player, previously on our books, continues his career away from the club? Or because you cannot resist having cheap digs at those people who do telling them to let go?

Perhaps you could instead show some self constraint and not click on the thread title if the subject does not particularly interest you, aye..?

It's always the same posters with the same drivel in every single thread [emoji38]

You don't think a player Brighton and Dortmund were happy to shell out 35m for would have featured in our squad when we have Almiron and Murphy competing with him for position? FWIW I don't think he'd have been a first XI starter coming into the season, but he probably could have followed the Tino/Hall path of being eased in. Once again, I understand why we had to sell him, but I disagree with the suggestion he wouldn't have improved our squad. As said before, much will depend on what our RW position will look like when the window closes. If it is still just Almiron and Murphy like it has been the last six windows (despite everybody predicting differently) we will definitely have lost out due to this stupid PSR nonsense.  

1 minute ago, Sean said:

It's always the same posters with the same drivel in every single thread [emoji38]

Welcome to Newcastle-Online mate. It's been like that for the 20 or so years I have been on here and I doubt it will change anytime soon.

Only reason this debate is still carrying on is because some are pretending like the Minteh sale was some masterstroke from the club, when it was very obviously the result of a series of blunders.

We were a Liverpool email away from selling our young England international star until a prospect who quintupled his value agreed to a transfer to save us. I've said it a several times it does not reflect poorly on your fandom/loyalty to say the club was massively negligent in their handling of PSR. This topic is so played out though the thread really should be locked. Will only get worse once real matches start.

9 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

You don't think a player Brighton and Dortmund were happy to shell out 35m for would have featured in our squad when we have Almiron and Murphy competing with him for position? FWIW I don't think he'd have been a first XI starter coming into the season, but he probably could have followed the Tino/Hall path of being eased in. Once again, I understand why we had to sell him, but I disagree with the suggestion he wouldn't have improved our squad. As said before, much will depend on what our RW position will look like when the window closes. If it is still just Almiron and Murphy like it has been the last six windows (despite everybody predicting differently) we will definitely have lost out due to this stupid PSR nonsense.  

Nope as we will be getting a more proven option coming in at a higher cost. Almiron I still think will be moved on and Murphy will be the replacement option for this season. If you think different that's entirely up to you. Right I'm out of here I've made my point and no more