Yankuba Minteh: joins Brighton & Hove Albion on a permanent deal (Official)

3 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Totally. For all I totally sympathise with the defiance of accepting a points deduction with both middle fingers raised, I can't face a season played out to the backdrop of a tedious and distracting legal wrangle that gets discussed every pre-game, every post-game, every comms, every presser, every thread of the forum, yada yada yada. Fuck - quite literally - that noise. 

Didn't Everton have a huge upturn in form after their first point deduction (including beating us) last season? 

Just now, The College Dropout said:

Pre new contract he would’ve been an easy sell for £30m-£40m to a rival PL club. Modest wages.  Proven performer.  Decent age. 

Not now with the new contract. I was with Dan Ashworth being tight on his contract. 

Gordon’s minutes at NUFC have come predominantly on the left. In his first half season - only left. And straight away this season last season. He’s only started RW once under Howe iiirc. Howe would rather play Murphy at RW than Gordon. 

We’ve spent £80m+ at LW.  £8m at RW and we’re selling him for 3/4x.  That doesn’t smell right. 

Re Joe.....which clubs could you see him going to ? I'm thinking West Ham and that's it.

Re Gordon, his debut was on the right, he played on the right at Bournemouth and Brentford before being subbed and he's played much more on the left due to injuries to Barnes, Joe and Willock. I'm not saying he's a RW but I'm not saying he's a LW either. He can do both but because he played very well on the left through necessity he's now being pigeon holed.

31 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

We paid a lot of money for a player whose value is unlikely to increase, in a position we were well stacked in. 

At the time it seemed a luxury transfer. If he was a RW people wouldn’t be complaining. We spent 40m on a LW in Jan, then another 40m for another LW in the summer. Joe’s also impressing at LW. 0 RWs. Except a wee lad, who excelled out on loan.  He’ll never play for us though - in part because we bought a backup LW who is 4 years older than the first choice. 

Between the fee, wages, sign on fee, agent fees , bonuses. Barnes squad cost likely to be 12-15m - that’s a lot of the PSR gap.  

Similalry with Tonali - why so expensive?

It does make you question the transfer activities.  Should we have cashed in on Trippier and Wilson in the winter? Lots of questions.  

Had we had European football in 2024 and qualified for Europa - we might not have been in this position. So there a lot of moving parts.  Nothing perfect. Nothing disastrous. Although this transfer is gutting.  

You're conveniently forgetting we were after 2 players for every position that summer, and players that could play more than 1 position to deal with the hoped for amount of games we'd be playing, which Barnes gave us at LW, especially with Joe being a starting CM. We had two RWers, Gordon and Barnes gave us 2 LWers, also taking in to account Gordon could cover RW and CF where needed. It wasn't at all "stacked". And dont say Isak. 

So revisionary. 

6 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

It's not mental at all though is it? Do we say that about all the young players that Chelsea buy and flip for profit? I mean, maybe sometimes but the idea with these players is always to invest a little and get money back at some point. 

Ok then it's extremely unfortunate. I'm sick of hearing about what Chelsea do, I want Minteh kept and evaluated with the squad. We can flip some fucker else

7 hours ago, sushimonster85 said:

Would you feel the same way if that hit was a points deduction that meant despite finishing in a European spot, we don't actually get European football?

Without the benefit of a crystal ball, yeah I'd hang on to Minteh at this point.

4 hours ago, OverThere said:

Honestly, why sell? If Man C can get away with 115 breaches, why can't we?

Completely different scenarios. They're claiming to have the funding through legitimate partnerships, we're pleading poverty and sticking to the rules. Do you want us to start cooking the books so we can keep hold of some kids who may turn out a bit shit :lol:

Edited by Dr.Spaceman

5 hours ago, Nobody said:

Didn't Everton have a huge upturn in form after their first point deduction (including beating us) last season? 

In a weird way I feel that it helped them last year. Seemed like such a toxic atmosphere there, bit like it was here with Ashley and Bruce, the points deduction seemed to give the supporters something external to channel their anger against instead.

Nothing brings people together like giving them a common enemy.

1 hour ago, Holloway said:

Without the benefit of a crystal ball, yeah I'd hang on to Minteh at this point.

That's properly mental. Again, no crystal ball, but I feel like we are on the verge of another big season. Reckon 4th/5th is doable with fewer games. To risk pissing that, and everything it generates, up the wall just to stubbornly hold onto a player it looks like we're going to 30m for without him ever kicking a ball in the PL is crazy to me.

5 hours ago, madras said:

Re Joe.....which clubs could you see him going to ? I'm thinking West Ham and that's it.

Re Gordon, his debut was on the right, he played on the right at Bournemouth and Brentford before being subbed and he's played much more on the left due to injuries to Barnes, Joe and Willock. I'm not saying he's a RW but I'm not saying he's a LW either. He can do both but because he played very well on the left through necessity he's now being pigeon holed.

Gordon isn’t being pigeon holed, his strongest position is clearly on the left as it allows him to cut in on his right and create space for the left back overlap.

That doesn’t mean he isn’t capable of playing on the right but many players are capable of playing in multiple positions, they are not pigeon holed by playing in their  best position though.

I thought Gordon was originally bought to replace ASM, as Joelinton was playing well out there and had formed a good partnership with Willock as the left sided midfielder, so I was surprised when we were prepared to invest more in the left side with Barnes whilst maintaining Almiron and Murphy down the right.

Hopefully that side gets rectified this summer.

If the club are facing breaching FFP and Minteh is the player attracting interest then he has to be sold. However, it is understandable people not being happy about it.

We are not selling him because we don’t think he has ability, we are selling him because the club has been poorly managed financially and we could be looking at a points deduction if we don’t.

24 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

Gordon isn’t being pigeon holed, his strongest position is clearly on the left as it allows him to cut in on his right and create space for the left back overlap.

That doesn’t mean he isn’t capable of playing on the right but many players are capable of playing in multiple positions, they are not pigeon holed by playing in their  best position though.

I thought Gordon was originally bought to replace ASM, as Joelinton was playing well out there and had formed a good partnership with Willock as the left sided midfielder, so I was surprised when we were prepared to invest more in the left side with Barnes whilst maintaining Almiron and Murphy down the right.

Hopefully that side gets rectified this summer.

Not allowing for what looks like some inevitable sales, CB and RW are the two positions in need of obvious strengthening.

I wouldn't have been happy starting the season with Almiron, Murphy, Minteh in all honesty.  So if at least two of those are gone but at least one quality RW comes in, then I'm perfectly fine with that.

1 hour ago, Checko said:
6 hours ago, Nobody said:

In a weird way I feel that it helped them last year. Seemed like such a toxic atmosphere there, bit like it was here with Ashley and Bruce, the points deduction seemed to give the supporters something external to channel their anger against instead.

Nothing brings people together like giving them a common enemy

Everton were terrible last season though, fully mired in the relegation skirmish until the bottom three eventually cut themselves loose.

My point (which Nobody quoted) was more about the off-the-field stuff. PSR, etc, is distracting/tedious enough without your own club being among the main cast of characters. 

40 minutes ago, Holloway said:

I don't mean by tomorrow or whenever the deadline is. That's the crux of the matter,sell him or not to satisfy these restrictions imposed on us. I say nah 

The baseline has been set at 3pts deduction for FFP breach. Everton were going to have another 2pts added for a "substantial" breach of £16m. Assuming reports are correct that we're somewhere between that and £30m over, you're looking at 5pts minimum, maybe up to 7pts.

You're willing to throw away potentially 10% of what we'd need points-wise for a top 4/5 finish for a player we wanted to "have a look at in preseason"?

18 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

If the club are facing breaching FFP and Minteh is the player attracting interest then he has to be sold. However, it is understandable people not being happy about it.

We are not selling him because we don’t think he has ability, we are selling him because the club has been poorly managed financially and we could be looking at a points deduction if we don’t.

I agree with everything here, except maybe the last part which I think isn't a black and white issue. Yes, it looks like we're selling him now and presumably for a cut-price fee because of the risk of points deductions but if we imagine a scenario where our PSR calculations were bang on the money, we don't need to sell anyone before 1st July - if Brighton, Everton, Lyon offer £40m for him next month, are we turning that down? There was talk of Liverpool eyeing up a £40m deal but nothing has materialised there (so far, admittedly). No top CL club has come sniffing around even though we're supposedly actively trying to shift him. Olise went for £55m ish? Williams is available for a similar amount. 

22 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

The baseline has been set at 3pts deduction for FFP breach. Everton were going to have another 2pts added for a "substantial" breach of £16m. Assuming reports are correct that we're somewhere between that and £30m over, you're looking at 5pts minimum, maybe up to 7pts.

You're willing to throw away potentially 10% of what we'd need points-wise for a top 4/5 finish for a player we wanted to "have a look at in preseason"?

I agree with everything here, except maybe the last part which I think isn't a black and white issue. Yes, it looks like we're selling him now and presumably for a cut-price fee because of the risk of points deductions but if we imagine a scenario where our PSR calculations were bang on the money, we don't need to sell anyone before 1st July - if Brighton, Everton, Lyon offer £40m for him next month, are we turning that down? There was talk of Liverpool eyeing up a £40m deal but nothing has materialised there (so far, admittedly). No top CL club has come sniffing around even though we're supposedly actively trying to shift him. Olise went for £55m ish? Williams is available for a similar amount. 

I don’t know if he would be sold for £40 million after this month but if he was then the club would be doing it due to believing it is a good price and us having a plan, rather than out of necessity. Everyone has a price so it is possible, it depends on how much they rate him.

Olise and Williams have buy out clauses so they would be leaving below their true value, a better comparison would be Kudus before coming to West Ham and Madueke to Chelsea that someone used as a comparison yesterday, similar profiles before coming to the Premier League.

Absolutely mental the amount of people saying just take the points deduction imo. It would kill the start of the season straight away and make any champions league challenge almost dead before the season starts.

I get the frustration at Minteh potentially going, but I would much prefer that to any points deductions.

1 hour ago, Checko said:

Nothing brings people together like giving them a common enemy.

The PL would've had to deduct from my personal savings account to make me find common cause with Mike Ashley.

Edited by Monkey Alan

2 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Absolutely mental the amount of people saying just take the points deduction imo. It would kill the start of the season straight away and make any champions league challenge almost dead before the season starts.

I get the frustration at Minteh potentially going, but I would much prefer that to any points deductions.

It might also have an impact on players choosing to come here over other clubs. Players persumably want to join a club with stability and dropping points because you broke the rules (no matter how idiotic and unfair the rules are) would signal the opposite of stability.

Edited by Bunk Moreland

6 hours ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

You're conveniently forgetting we were after 2 players for every position that summer, and players that could play more than 1 position to deal with the hoped for amount of games we'd be playing, which Barnes gave us at LW, especially with Joe being a starting CM. We had two RWers, Gordon and Barnes gave us 2 LWers, also taking in to account Gordon could cover RW and CF where needed. It wasn't at all "stacked". And dont say Isak. 

So revisionary. 

What’s revisionary? We needed a RW last summer.  We didn’t get one. We didn’t need a LW but we got one. We don’t have any genuine quality at RW. We’ve got 2 at LW. That’s weird squad building. 

I’ve been lamenting the lack of RW all year. And boring people about Palmer and Kudus.  Had we signed one of them we would be less bothered.

7 hours ago, madras said:

Howe would rather play Murphy or Almiron at RW than Gordon. Your point is moot.  

A legit Brazilian international like big Joe - lots of offers for around £20-30m. Also an attractive player to do a weird swap deal with pre new contract. 

36 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

If not for PSR I think we seriously consider if Minteh is the answer to the RW position.  

He seems to have a lot of Eddie Howe characteristics. Pressed well. Tall.  Quick. Direct. 

9 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

I don’t know if he would be sold for £40 million after this month but if he was then the club would be doing it due to believing it is a good price and us having a plan, rather than out of necessity. Everyone has a price so it is possible, it depends on how much they rate him.

Olise and Williams have buy out clauses so they would be leaving below their true value, a better comparison would be Kudus before coming to West Ham and Madueke to Chelsea that someone used as a comparison yesterday, similar profiles before coming to the Premier League.

Kudus wasn’t a similar profile tbf. He’s

older and more proven - at least at international level. 

But Minteh has performed at a similar level to Kudus in the Eredivisie at a younger age. Minteh’s ceiling looks higher. 

Agree with those saying a points deduction is a non starter. 

If it’s sell Minteh or get a points deduction it’s sell Minteh. But short of about 6 first team players - I would sell anyone else in the squad over Minteh just due to the ceiling. And obviously I would prefer a sponsorship hack. Doesn’t seem to be happening. We are selling the lad by the Looks of it. 

1 hour ago, sushimonster85 said:

That's properly mental. Again, no crystal ball, but I feel like we are on the verge of another big season. Reckon 4th/5th is doable with fewer games. To risk pissing that, and everything it generates, up the wall just to stubbornly hold onto a player it looks like we're going to 30m for without him ever kicking a ball in the PL is crazy to me.

A decent percentage of this fanbase moaned when Shelvey left. 

Here we see Newcastle attempting to make smart accounting trades and the penny seemingly still hasn’t dropped for a lot of supporters. We’re not doing it because we want too, we’re doing because we have too. 

The very idea that people would rather see us start on -4 or -6 for a player we haven’t played once is absolutely ridiculous. 

Edited by Stuy_O

23 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

Olise and Williams have buy out clauses so they would be leaving below their true value, a better comparison would be Kudus before coming to West Ham and Madueke to Chelsea that someone used as a comparison yesterday, similar profiles before coming to the Premier League

Kudus and Madueke went for £40m and £30m respectively so that would suggest £30-40m is probably about the going rate. 

10 minutes ago, Stuy_O said:

A decent percentage of this fanbase moaned when Shelvey left. 

Here we see Newcastle attempting to make smart accounting trades and the penny seemingly still hasn’t dropped for a lot of supporters. We’re not doing it because we want too, we’re doing because we have too. 

The very idea that people would rather see us start on -4 or -6 for a player we haven’t played once is absolutely ridiculous. 

I’ll always have time for Jonjo.