Sandro Tonali

The Prophet

Difficult to prove but absolutely nailed on. I was in a 'Milan pub' in Brussels for our Dortmund away game and spoke to loads of their fans. Every single one of them when asked laughed and said 'of course we knew'. Having worked in Milan and Rome in the 2010s regularly, there is nothing anyone can say to me that would convince me otherwise. Even a cursory knowledge of criminal investigation timelines and processes under Italian law pushes back the start of the 'pre-investigation' phase into the early summer. 

2 minutes ago, Adam P said:

Difficult to prove but absolutely nailed on. I was in a 'Milan pub' in Brussels for our Dortmund away game and spoke to loads of their fans. Every single one of them when asked laughed and said 'of course we knew'. Having worked in Milan and Rome in the 2010s regularly, there is nothing anyone can say to me that would convince me otherwise. Even a cursory knowledge of criminal investigation timelines and processes under Italian law pushes back the start of the 'pre-investigation' phase into the early summer. 

A) They (Milan fans) would say that wouldn't they.

B) Didn't the thing start when another player fessed up and that was after he'd signed for us ?

5 minutes ago, madras said:

A) They (Milan fans) would say that wouldn't they.

B) Didn't the thing start when another player fessed up and that was after he'd signed for us ?

Why would they say that? The argument put forward to me by them was that they had a choice of players to sell for similar money, there was no financial need to sell Tonali. Exactly what Milanista said on here. 

Italian investigations only start after a confidential pre-investigation period. The charges and accusations are consistent with a timeline well before the start of August, which was the date references in the Italian press as the start of the 'investigation'. You can add 3 months to that for when information was passed to the police for a potential official investigation.

Just now, mattypnufc said:

I mean I imagine Tonali knew...considering it was him? :D 

Hahaha true. I mean knowing there was an investigation coming which would likely lead to a long term ban

I like to think he that he thought it was behind him and something that no one would find out 

2 hours ago, Paully said:

Great article - really encouraging to read about how committed he is in training to getting onboard with our playstyle, the club's approach to this whole situation being one of support and understanding, and acceptance that there was no way we could have known this when signing him.

Basically bodies a number of the poorer takes I've read in this thread over the last couple of months which is always class to see.

6 minutes ago, Adam P said:

Why would they say that? The argument put forward to me by them was that they had a choice of players to sell for similar money, there was no financial need to sell Tonali. Exactly what Milanista said on here. 

Italian investigations only start after a confidential pre-investigation period. The charges and accusations are consistent with a timeline well before the start of August, which was the date references in the Italian press as the start of the 'investigation'. You can add 3 months to that for when information was passed to the police for a potential official investigation.

I would say that to oppo fans in the same position "we got one over on you" type thing even if we hadn't.

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/lists/italian-betting-scandal-explained-sandro-tonali-nicolo-zaniolo-banned/bltcfb9b8e6958b4d79#csde79c71427b02d65

There's a timeline here.

Edited by madras

I am aware of that information, the police knew about the illegal gambling before August 2nd. Juventus denying they knew about Fagioli is basically stating that the police in Turin didnt tell them. Of course they did, this is Italy.  The official investigation only starts after a period of time of evidence collection. That period is confidential and can last 18 months before an investigation starts. If the Public Prosecutor thinks the 'accusation' can stand up in court, an investigation is officially launched. So the police turning up to arrest the players marks the end of the first phase, not the start. 

1 minute ago, Adam P said:

I am aware of that information, the police knew about the illegal gambling before August 2nd. Juventus denying they knew about Fagioli is basically stating that the police in Turin didnt tell them. Of course they did, this is Italy.  The official investigation only starts after a period of time of evidence collection. That period is confidential and can last 18 months before an investigation starts. If the Public Prosecutor thinks the 'accusation' can stand up in court, an investigation is officially launched. So the police turning up to arrest the players marks the end of the first phase, not the start. 

So your saying the police knew but there's no evidence Milan knew ?

3 minutes ago, madras said:

So your saying the police knew but there's no evidence Milan knew ?

Of course there is no evidence Milan knew but i am convinced they did. All it takes is for the police to have a relationship with the football club for that information to be shared. 

22 minutes ago, janpawel said:

Hahaha true. I mean knowing there was an investigation coming which would likely lead to a long term ban

I like to think he that he thought it was behind him and something that no one would find out 

He absolutely would have known it’s a possibility.  I can believe that he’s stupid, but that would be beyond thick.

He fucked us over royally as far as I’m concerned. 

8 minutes ago, Adam P said:

Of course there is no evidence Milan knew but i am convinced they did. All it takes is for the police to have a relationship with the football club for that information to be shared. 

I need evidence. I'm strange that way.

29 minutes ago, madras said:

I need evidence. I'm strange that way.

If there was evidence that Milan knew, there would be court cases. The timing and circumstantial evidence suggests that consistent with Italian culture, back office relationships amongst institutions and authorities and the extremely odd nature of Milan selling a talismanic player one month before the investigation became public, all points in one direction. Presuming their innocence is very noble of you. 

46 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

He absolutely would have known it’s a possibility.  I can believe that he’s stupid, but that would be beyond thick.

He fucked us over royally as far as I’m concerned. 

Agree with this, all my anger on this one is directed at Tonali, did he not want to fuck Milan over so moved to fuck another team over (in this case us)?

I'm not sure he really wanted the move now, I mean it seems he had another reason he may have wanted to leave Milan. His performances before the ban don't exactly support the theory he really wanted to be here.

Hope we fuck them over tonight.

35 minutes ago, Menace said:

It's good to hear he's been working hard and keeping his head down and Howe is pleased, I just hope the FA don't give him another ban on top of the ban he already has.

I hope he's not STILL betting tbh :lol:

1 hour ago, Menace said:

It's good to hear he's been working hard and keeping his head down and Howe is pleased, I just hope the FA don't give him another ban on top of the ban he already has.

You think - as long as he's knocked the gambling on the head - even if they did decide to ban him he'd be covered by "time served"

Toney got 8 months so if Tonali has served 10 then it seems a bit unreasonable to extend it further, provided he's not continued doing it.

1 hour ago, Adam P said:

If there was evidence that Milan knew, there would be court cases. The timing and circumstantial evidence suggests that consistent with Italian culture, back office relationships amongst institutions and authorities and the extremely odd nature of Milan selling a talismanic player one month before the investigation became public, all points in one direction. Presuming their innocence is very noble of you. 

The timing was consistent with Italian culture ? It broke and meant one of their most important players couldn't play in one of the national teams most important fixtures, How's that consistent with their culture ?

Edited by madras