Sandro Tonali

The Prophet

24 minutes ago, andyc35i said:

Does he have the pace and energy we would need in that role?

I haven’t seen enough to comment on pace. Energy wise, he looks super fit but would no doubt achieve the levels of fitness required, if he doesn’t bring that with him.

After stalking his career last week, I was more impressed with some small things I noticed which, to my mind, signal huge assets in that central role. The way he can pick a pass on the angle without looking. His comfort turning away from ‘traffic’ whether to find that needed yard/second of thinking time, or to find the green space when under pressure and there seemingly isn’t any. Well timed interceptions, great reading of the flow of the game. Combative and persistent in the tackle 

Found a quote from Pirlo (last season): “He has everything to be a champion but he is more a midfielder for a two man midfield. He could already play for a great team; he is the best in this league.” He was aged 22 at the time. 

On the basis of this, I’d see the plan to sit him alongside Bruno with them both interchanging attacking and defensive positioning or maybe Tonali tending to drop deeper. A fluid exceptionally difficult to mark/defend against pair of lynchpins—masters of midfield malarkey (couldn’t resist)—who could bring in Joelinton and right sided midfielder (Miggy) as well as (option a) central attacking midfield. Or (option b) a workhouse/all rounder could play covering both of their runs and forward focussed activities (Longstaff?). Plus they’d offer a centre of pitch route through to the central forward of the day (Isak/Wilson). 

36 minutes ago, andyc35i said:

Does he have the pace and energy we would need in that role?

Apparently he's fairly rapid and will press all day. Just Dennis Wise scouting but he looks to get all over the pitch, pops out wide and can whip balls in with both feet, switch play with ease, ping them over the top like Schar. Seems basically perfect for what we'd want in a 6.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

1 minute ago, McCormick said:

It’s a fair chunk above what we’ve initially offered. If they’re okay with 65m euros then I think we’ll do it.

Think we can get it done with lots of instalments 

To tell you the truth ive never heard of him, but i have faith in the management if eddie wants him then im good

I do feel the need to say anything outside of nufc i have little intrest in other teams which is why ive never heard of half the players we are linked with [emoji38]

8 minutes ago, Jack27 said:

Burnsie and Sean Casey tut tut SUPERTOON

Burnsie doing a full 180 (shock) after initially ridiculing the obscure guy that was first on it. 

Whether we get him or not, this is definitely the type of DM we need. The way we set up doesn't lend itself to a classic destroyer type, neat 5-yard passes sideways etc. We need someone who can do what Bruno does from the #6 position - receive the ball under pressure and get things moving forwards as quickly as possible.

3 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Think we can get it done with lots of instalments 

Possibly, but I don’t see us breaking our transfer record for a centre midfielder. Anything below 60 million pounds and I reckon we’ll be all over it; whether or not that gets accepted is a different matter altogether.

Just now, Keegans Export said:

Whether we get him or not, this is definitely the type of DM we need. The way we set up doesn't lend itself to a classic destroyer type, neat 5-yard passes sideways etc. We need someone who can do what Bruno does from the #6 position - receive the ball under pressure and get things moving forwards as quickly as possible.

This is the most exciting part about the Tonali link. With Maddison and Barella it's exciting but with that 'how does that work' thing in the back of my head. With Tonali you can see exactly how he fits in, and the effect that has on those around him (Bruno becoming a true 8 etc). 

We must really rate the guy if we will pay what’s being asked for. I would’ve thought we’d be aiming for around £40m mark for someone in midfield. I guess you can’t get anyone decent for that these days 

He is a typical italian “Regista”, the lowest midfielder who both starts the plays from defence and also who is the man who breaks up opposition attacks. A No.6 (pivot) who is both elegant and aggressive.

Supposedly Italy’s best young midfielder… Would be a cracking signing and his best years ahead of him!