Sandro Tonali

The Prophet

3 minutes ago, M1tche said:

Class seeing the reception he got warming up, will do wonders regardless of what's coming ban wise:clap:

Yep, obviously this isn't a good thing and I'd rather it wasn't happening, but the support he's getting and will get through this is going to help him fall in love with the club

1 minute ago, LiquidAK said:

Yep, obviously this isn't a good thing and I'd rather it wasn't happening, but the support he's getting and will get through this is going to help him fall in love with the club

Agreed, much prefer it wasn't happening and its frustrating to lose a player for what could be a very long time for it, but he's our player and we have to stick with him through it. Now he knows we will

I just don’t agree it’s an Illness. I don’t agree that any addiction is. You have no choice if you get cancer and you absolutely cannot get rid of it through willpower and lifestyle changes. Same with pretty much every other genuine illness. The mere fact that you can stop being addicted to something if you make enough changes makes it not an illness. A character trait maybe, a weakness definitely but calling these things a disease just feels like an excuse. “It’s not my fault I lost the house through gambling, it’s an illness”. It kind of absolves them of responsibility for their actions.

Maybe that’s harsh but I just can’t get on board with it. I have sympathy for them and I’m not suggesting it’s an easy thing to reverse but I just hate the rhetoric around it.

36 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

I just don’t agree it’s an Illness. I don’t agree that any addiction is. You have no choice if you get cancer and you absolutely cannot get rid of it through willpower and lifestyle changes. Same with pretty much every other genuine illness. The mere fact that you can stop being addicted to something if you make enough changes makes it not an illness. A character trait maybe, a weakness definitely but calling these things a disease just feels like an excuse. “It’s not my fault I lost the house through gambling, it’s an illness”. It kind of absolves them of responsibility for their actions.

Maybe that’s harsh but I just can’t get on board with it. I have sympathy for them and I’m not suggesting it’s an easy thing to reverse but I just hate the rhetoric around it.

That’s just massively ignorant and cuntish, not harsh

45 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

Addiction is an illness that's why there's medication for so many addictions, and also other forms of treatment for others.

33 minutes ago, Thomson Mouse said:

That’s just massively ignorant and cuntish, not harsh

When you’ve dealt with addiction in your family and seen the kind of personalities that will hide behind ‘disease’ you’d probably have a different opinion. Everyone is entitled to their opinion I guess. I’m not being cuntish mate, I’ve just seen it first hand and I don’t agree that it’s a disease

1 hour ago, Holmesy said:

You’re forgiven for this shite post, purely on the fact that you’re clearly not educated on this subject and have no experience of it. I’m happy for you that it will never happen to you anyway.

1 minute ago, Holmesy said:

When you’ve dealt with addiction in your family and seen the kind of personalities that will hide behind ‘disease’ you’d probably have a different opinion. Everyone is entitled to their opinion I guess. I’m not being cuntish mate, I’ve just seen it first hand and I don’t agree that it’s a disease

So most medical associations just have an opinion on it?

this is an unintentionally perfect capture of mental health stigma

2 minutes ago, Jagten said:

this is an unintentionally perfect capture of mental health stigma

What the fuck are you talking about?! I’m not stigmatising anything. Read my original post - I have sympathy for people with addiction. We have experienced it in my family and I have had friends who have battled problems. But I don’t agree with the labelling of it. There’s no criticism of people with addiction at all. It’s literally just the labelling of it I don’t agree with. 

Saying "Addiction is just due to a lack of will power" is just bullshit, it can take over your life in many different way, control you and dictate how you live and what you do. Whatever it may be, alcohol, drugs or gambling, they all produce a shot of dopamine that makes you want to go back to it time and again, and even if you know you have a problem, it makes it hard to get away from whatever that suspense may be, and as you get more and more addicted it becomes harder and harder to get away from, to the point that your body depends on it, and if you stop taking it withdrawal starts. 

But its not just the physical aspect that makes it hard, its the fact that most addicts are in social groups that taking or doing a certain things is expected, and its hard to break from, especially if you're in a deprived area, or people may be ashamed that they have a problem so hide their problem and don't reach out to others, and their problem gets darker because of that.

As an example, try not taking coffee for a few days, its really god damn hard, you get headaches and fatigue really fast, and you very quickly put the kettle on to get the symptoms to go away. 

I'm not sure if any of this makes sense, but to say addiction isn't an illness, is just ignorance in the extreme.

Check out the difference between a disease and an illness. 

1 minute ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Check out the difference between a disease and an illness. 

Check out gambling disorder. This is a label for addiction that is starting to grow in popularity and I think it’s more appropriate. 
Fuck me, anyone would think I said all addicts should be shot. 
I’m happy to take any criticism on the chin for what seems to be an unpopular and controversial opinion but you guys need to calm down a bit. I’m not the only person on the planet who doesn’t agree that addictions are an illness/disease. 

5 minutes ago, 54 said:

Saying "Addiction is just due to a lack of will power" is just bullshit, it can take over your life in many different way, control you and dictate how you live and what you do. Whatever it may be, alcohol, drugs or gambling, they all produce a shot of dopamine that makes you want to go back to it time and again, and even if you know you have a problem, it makes it hard to get away from whatever that suspense may be, and as you get more and more addicted it becomes harder and harder to get away from, to the point that your body depends on it, and if you stop taking it withdrawal starts. 

But its not just the physical aspect that makes it hard, its the fact that most addicts are in social groups that taking or doing a certain things is expected, and its hard to break from, especially if you're in a deprived area, or people may be ashamed that they have a problem so hide their problem and don't reach out to others, and their problem gets darker because of that.

As an example, try not taking coffee for a few days, its really god damn hard, you get headaches and fatigue really fast, and you very quickly put the kettle on to get the symptoms to go away. 

I'm not sure if any of this makes sense, but to say addiction isn't an illness, is just ignorance in the extreme.

I’m well aware of the impact addiction can have on families, first hand. I have literally lived it. So yeah, it all makes sense and it definitely doesn’t change my opinion. If anything it strengthens it