NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

32 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

That's a completely different thing though - you're rating the squad there, not the transfer window in isolation.

You sign players…. For a squad. You judge a window by how it improves the squad. 

43 minutes ago, jonny1403 said:

Where are these 'glaring gaps in the squad' ffs. It's clearly not at LB because we have three of them with a blend of youth and experience. At RW we have Almiron who came off a brilliant season, Gordon who is looking better and better and Murphy.

Glaring gaps [emoji38]

The ones I said. 

we have 3 left backs and I none of them would start for any other top 6 team. Liverpool will be targeting Burn (and Trips tbf) - he’s a weak spot in the team.  Targett isn’t fancied and should be sold and Hall is 18. I would love for Hall to cement his spot in the team come September but I don’t expect it.  We’re playing the long game which makes sense but on the pitch it’s a weakness. 

I could go on. You might be happy with Almiron Murphy Barnes and Gordon but I think that’s weak for the level we want.  

Howe is a miracle worker and we have a functional team unit and squad.  If we finish 4th or get in the CL it’s another miracle job. There’s a lack of quality in some areas and a lack of depth in other crucial areas. But overall we are a stronger squad this season than last and are well setup going forward.  

This is where we are on this forum. People a bit annoyed if you rate  a window as 7 out of 10.  That’s good. That’s progress.  But a slight hint that things could be a little better and it rubs people the wrong way.  

I think it’s been a great window on paper but only time will tell come next May.

Main thing for me was the club to try which they have by maxing out our FFP. I didn’t want us to spoil the squad harmony with a high turnover and also with disproportionate salaries for new players which they’ve seemed to adhered to both.

I would highlight that people need to not get too bogged down with exact positions being filled as it seems clear one of the prerequisites of a EH signing is versatility so as the season goes on his signings might play in positions maybe not what was originally expected.

1 hour ago, Matt1892 said:

The money could have been spent on a starting RCB that would improve the first team.

Last season we were in danger of missing out when we sold Shelvey without a replacement, Longstaff was injured and we were putting a cobbled up midfield together for some games.

Our current starting RCB is our best defender. In a team with the second best defensive record in the league. 

I promise you if Eddie wanted RW or RCB we’d have done that deal. We have to trust Eddie. The owners aren’t going to tell Ashworth no, and Ashworth isn’t going to do a single thing that will upset Howe. 

It's going to get very tedious in years to come if we end up winning the league, or Champions league and you'll get the same tired criticisms from the it's never enough brigade..."We still need a new RB", "We still need to improve our CDM options", "29 year old Mbappe isn't good enough"...

We're a year and a half and four transfer windows on from having a squad many considered Championship level.

You could have had four brilliant windows and there would still be work to do and gaps in quality

Every transfer window should be about continuous improvement, it'd be impossible to solve every flaw in the squad.

Edited by The Prophet

Owners haven’t missed. Every deal has served its purpose. It may not have proved out as a starter but it added depth where we needed it. You can’t control injuries. Thus far, not a single deal we’ve done (or risk we’ve taken not doing one) has impacted on the pitch performance. That will probably change going forward but you have to be proud of the sustained, calculated and curated growth. 

The biggest thing for me is I don't worry that a player will be sold as soon as they start to play well. This is actually a regime who wants to build a squad to compete at the top of the table. They've made some mistakes along the way (Wood) but I have complete faith that we will get to the level we want to be at. The ASM fee was disappointing but then it seems no-one really wanted him either. Next summer I believe we will have a squad that could potentially compete for the title in a serious manner.

23 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

You sign players…. For a squad. You judge a window by how it improves the squad. 

The ones I said. 

we have 3 left backs and I none of them would start for any other top 6 team. Liverpool will be targeting Burn (and Trips tbf) - he’s a weak spot in the team.  Targett isn’t fancied and should be sold and Hall is 18. I would love for Hall to cement his spot in the team come September but I don’t expect it.  We’re playing the long game which makes sense but on the pitch it’s a weakness. 

I could go on. You might be happy with Almiron Murphy Barnes and Gordon but I think that’s weak for the level we want.  

Howe is a miracle worker and we have a functional team unit and squad.  If we finish 4th or get in the CL it’s another miracle job. There’s a lack of quality in some areas and a lack of depth in other crucial areas. But overall we are a stronger squad this season than last and are well setup going forward.  

This is where we are on this forum. People a bit annoyed if you rate  a window as 7 out of 10.  That’s good. That’s progress.  But a slight hint that things could be a little better and it rubs people the wrong way.  

You didn't give a 'slight hint that things could be a little better', you said there were 'glaring gaps' in our squad when that clearly isn't the case.  It just comes across as hysterical exaggeration and a reason why our fans get so much stick.

There's room for improvement at RW and LB no doubt, but you could say that about every team in the league in certain positions. I find it hard to believe people still see Burn as an incapable defender when he was a key part of the best defence in the league last year. 

54 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Don't know in detail what you guys are discussing as I'm just jumping in on the last page but....

He's been here almost 7 months.

He's had a longer "pre-season" than anyone else in our squad by playing regularly and reaching the final in the U21 Euros.

Those two points you make are simply not valid.

And he's barely played in those 7 months. He's now starting games regularly and can be judged accordingly. 

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

Because you come off as the football equivalent to the 2/10 meme :lol: 

image.png.b103907a82912079e53132a6f3884481.png

"a slight hint that things could be a little better" sounds more like a 9/10 to me (would bang).

45 minutes ago, jonny1403 said:

You didn't give a 'slight hint that things could be a little better', you said there were 'glaring gaps' in our squad when that clearly isn't the case.  It just comes across as hysterical exaggeration and a reason why our fans get so much stick.

There's room for improvement at RW and LB no doubt, but you could say that about every team in the league in certain positions. I find it hard to believe people still see Burn as an incapable defender when he was a key part of the best defence in the league last year. 

There’s glaring gaps in the Real Madrid squad.  Last week there were glaring gaps in the city squad. 

I gave it a 7.  There’s nothing hysterical about that. Imo our aim should be the CL - the transfer window has given us a decent chance at it.  But I don’t think Howe has EVERYTHING he needs to make it happen.  The LB is a weakness.  No quality depth at CB. And imo a lack of quality in depth in attack.  For a team with top 4 ambitions. Howe can pull it off but I don’t expect him too 

Just now, The College Dropout said:

There’s glaring gaps in the Real Madrid squad.  Last week there were glaring gaps in the city squad. 

I gave it a 7.  There’s nothing hysterical about that. Imo our aim should be the CL - the transfer window has given us a decent chance at it.  But I don’t think Howe has EVERYTHING he needs to make it happen.  The LB is a weakness.  No quality depth at CB. And imo a lack of quality in depth in attack.  For a team with top 4 ambitions. Howe can pull it off but I don’t expect him too 

Are there glaring gaps in our attack though? I honestly think it's our most stacked area to be honest, and it's a very fluid area with multiple people able to play multiple positions.

LW: Gordon, Barnes, Isak, Joelinton, Willock, Anderson

ST: Isak, Wilson, Gordon, Joelinton

RW: Miggy, Murphy, Gordon

I guess Miggy will be in the next one to upgrade, but I personally don't think that's a pressing concern for this window, as both him and Murphy where important cogs in the machine last season, and will be fine for one more season.