NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

1 hour ago, r0cafella said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Michael S asked: How big can Newcastle go in January?

David Ornstein: Not as big as I suspect they would like. Those four words: Profit and Sustainability rules (PSR).

The Newcastle documentary makes repeated references to financial fair play and, clearly, they are taking it extremely seriously. We can see that in the deals they’ve done so far and that prudence will have to continue, especially if they don’t make it through to the Champions League knockout stage.

The failed vote to block associated party loan signings in January is good news for Newcastle in theory but, in practice, I’m not sure they will actually make any/many signings from other PIF clubs. Certainly, barring an unforeseen turn of events, I don’t expect Ruben Neves to arrive.

Yep, they've shown absolutely no intent of bending the FFP rules so far, and I doubt that they ever will.  We're basically potless for January, barring a sale of players.  The press will be full of bullshit stories, and some of our support will lap it up - but I doubt we'll do anything more than a potential loan to buy deal in Jan.

6 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Name the ways he’s better than Pope.  

His distribution, he’s more relaxed with the ball at his feet, coming off his line and is better in one on one situations.

Ramsdale is probably a top five keeper in World football out of those under the age of 30. No idea what Arteta is playing at with him.

In goalkeeping terms he is young and has room for improvement, unlike Pope who  isn’t going to improve on any of his flaws from here. 

1 hour ago, Matt1892 said:

His distribution, he’s more relaxed with the ball at his feet, coming off his line and is better in one on one situations.

Ramsdale is probably a top five keeper in World football out of those under the age of 30. No idea what Arteta is playing at with him.

In goalkeeping terms he is young and has room for improvement, unlike Pope who  isn’t going to improve on any of his flaws from here. 

He’s better and more relaxed with his feet o give you that. I don’t think he’s better coming off his line but he probably is more calm so I give you that too. 

i don’t believe you’ve seen him or Pope 1v1 enough times to say who is better. But Pope is statistically a better shot stopper and penalty saver. 

Ramsdale is so good. He’s been replaced by a man 3 years older than him. 

He’s not good enough at the basics of goalkeeping. That’s why he’s out of the team.  I’m yet to see a compelling argument as to why he’s better than Pope. The stats don’t back it up.  The eye test doesn’t back it up.

Pope has made a few mistakes so some on NO have decided he’s not good enough.  They’ve looked at another keeper who is much better with his feet and decided he’s an upgrade. Even though the other guy is inferior in every other way.  

Edited by The College Dropout

11 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Ramsdale would be an improvement on Pope, just as Pope was an improvement on Dubravka.  Not sure that the transfer cost relative to the improvement would be worth it though - I suspect we’ll replace Pope in the next 18 months, though I’d be surprised if it was Ramsdale

How is he an improvement?

Just now, The College Dropout said:

How is he an improvement?

Personally would say they are both at a similar level from what i've seen, Ramsdale is better with feet mind, Pope better at commanding his box, the thing  Ramsdale has in his favor is that he's only 25 so has a lot of time to improve, compared to Pope's 31.

I don't think the amount Ramsdale would cost would be worth the punt given there is a very negligible difference between the two, and other area's that are more important, Pope will be more then fine for another season or two until we want an Alisson level keeper, which Ramsdale is not.

The Spurs keeper looks incredible and only cost about £15-20m, I think? 

Hopefully a few more of them hiding around Europe. Can’t say I’d ever seen him play before. But he has been one of the best keepers, if not the best in the league this season.

I would almost rather we took a punt on a player like that in future. Than waste £30-40m on Ramsdale. For no net gain on Pope’s abilities overall. 

Certainly been Eddie heavy recruitment from the Prem so far, mind. So I can see why it is an easy link for the media and fans alike to make. 

25 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

That’s my thought. The Pope upgrade is world class, close or with the potential for that.  The fact Ramsdale has been replaced by someone 3 years his senior is telling.  

Raya has been anything but solid since signing for them and all. 

7 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

The Spurs keeper looks incredible and only cost about £15-20m, I think? 

Hopefully a few more of them hiding around Europe. Can’t say I’d ever seen him play before. But he has been one of the best keepers, if not the best in the league this season.

I would almost rather we took a punt on a player like that in future. Than waste £30-40m on Ramsdale. For no net gain on Pope’s abilities overall. 

Certainly been Eddie heavy recruitment from the Prem so far, mind. So I can see why it is an easy link for the media and fans alike to make. 

Rather buy the Valencia keeper 

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

He’s better and more relaxed with his feet o give you that. I don’t think he’s better coming off his line but he probably is more calm so I give you that too. 

i don’t believe you’ve seen him or Pope 1v1 enough times to say who is better. But Pope is statistically a better shot stopper and penalty saver. 

Ramsdale is so good. He’s been replaced by a man 3 years older than him. 

He’s not good enough at the basics of goalkeeping. That’s why he’s out of the team.  I’m yet to see a compelling argument as to why he’s better than Pope. The stats don’t back it up.  The eye test doesn’t back it up.

Pope has made a few mistakes so some on NO have decided he’s not good enough.  They’ve looked at another keeper who is much better with his feet and decided he’s an upgrade. Even though the other guy is inferior in every other way.  

The argument that Ramsdale can’t be any good as he has been replaced by David Raya is a weak argument and comes across as looking for things to add weight to your point, when the truth is it comes down to the opinion of Arteta, who in my opinion has dug a bit of a hole for himself and he feels he has to double down because of his ego.

It would be like me saying Ramsdale is better because he is in the England squad but Pope isn’t good enough to get in anymore, it isn’t the best argument to go with.

I do like Pope and have often defended him on here when some look to blame one of our players for every mistake and goal conceded; however, he hasn’t been anywhere near the form he was in during the first half of the season he was with us, to the point that you have to put your hands over your eyes when he comes off his line because there is a lack of confidence in what he is going to do.

13 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

The argument that Ramsdale can’t be any good as he has been replaced by David Raya is a weak argument and comes across as looking for things to add weight to your point, when the truth is it comes down to the opinion of Arteta, who in my opinion has dug a bit of a hole for himself and he feels he has to double down because of his ego.

It would be like me saying Ramsdale is better because he is in the England squad but Pope isn’t good enough to get in anymore, it isn’t the best argument to go with.

I do like Pope and have often defended him on here when some look to blame one of our players for every mistake and goal conceded; however, he hasn’t been anywhere near the form he was in during the first half of the season he was with us, to the point that you have to put your hands over your eyes when he comes off his line because there is a lack of confidence in what he is going to do.

I've not said "he's not very good". I'm saying he's not a meaningful upgrade on Nick Pope. I don't think he's better than Pope at all.

Pope isn't in the England squad because he's older and not going to start (better get younger players in the squad with more of a future in it) and because he's not good with his feet. They want keepers that are good with their feet - Pope isn't that.

Why do you think Arteta has replaced him? IMO he wants a GK that is better at the fundamentals (shot stopping, commanding his area) but can also play with his feet.

21 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I've not said "he's not very good". I'm saying he's not a meaningful upgrade on Nick Pope. I don't think he's better than Pope at all.

Pope isn't in the England squad because he's older and not going to start (better get younger players in the squad with more of a future in it) and because he's not good with his feet. They want keepers that are good with their feet - Pope isn't that.

Why do you think Arteta has replaced him? IMO he wants a GK that is better at the fundamentals (shot stopping, commanding his area) but can also play with his feet.

You said “Ramsdale is so good. He’s been replaced by a man 3 years older than him.” to demonstrate that he isn’t that good, which I pointed out is a poor argument as it is based on the thinking of Arteta.

I think Arteta signed Raya as he thought he could get away with having 2 quality goalkeepers and rotating them, which has shown not to work and has left many scratching their heads at the situation. I don’t think Arteta’s ego will allow him to admit he was wrong so he is persevering with Raya even though he hasn’t been that good when I’ve seen him for Arsenal this season.

I think Pope doesn’t get picked for England as Southgate doesn’t have faith in him or his ability, I’m not sure he’s played for England since the stinker he had against Germany. When you consider age and that goalkeepers usually perform at a higher level compared to outfield players you wonder why he has been happy to bin Pope but continues with Trippier, Wilson, Walker and Jordan Henderson if it was about age.

He is only a year older than Sam Johnstone who has replaced him.

Ramsdale is a better footballer than Pope. Pope's distribution and confidence with the ball at his feet can hinder our ability to break a high press by reducing the number of formation / position options in the set up. Creating the extra man to break the press can require the GK to act like a CB. If you tell me that Ramsdale is not that good with the ball at his feet i havent watched him enough to counter the point. That is a clear weakness in Pope's game though. His 3 kicks into touch aiming at Dan Burn's head a few weeks back were good examples. 

I think many are massively underestimating how much Pope's poor kicking ability limits us. The rest of the defense will also clearly be aware of his limitation with his feet, and often instead of making the easy pass to Pope they try a tougher pass which has a higher level of danger, see Trippier doing this a lot in games, as well the more obvious issue of how much pressure is added on the team by his poor kicking, often just straight out of play back to them, even when under very little or no pressure. I rate Ramsdale personally but assuming the price is high there are likely better options elsewhere outside of England. I think a new GK is at least 3rd-4th priority, maybe higher, but a definite area to address ASAP. This is no agenda against Pope btw, he's a good goalkeeper and seems to live the life right, he's just not at that very top level and no other side competing for the top 4 would want to sign him as their #1. 

2 minutes ago, TRon said:

With injuries decimating us in just about every other area of the pitch I doubt very much that we will be looking to bring in a keeper in the January window. It's a pointless discussion.

We are talking about the summer.