NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

3 minutes ago, jack j said:

Juventus are still bookies favourites to sign Phillips like. 4/1 us if anyone believes rob the knob

i remember the bookies had us about 1/20 to sign Scott Sinclair one January. Clearly they no fuck all except what mugs are putting on it

23 minutes ago, Fezzle said:

Ignoring his record its absolutely mental Pep chose to play two defenders in midfield over him the other day.

3 wasn’t it ? Stones, Akanji and Lewis and then still didn’t bring him on when he made changes 

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

3 wasn’t it ? Stones, Akanji and Lewis and then still didn’t bring him on when he made changes 

Didnt watch it so wasnt sure if it was 3-4-3 or 4-3-3 so could well have been actually

33 minutes ago, Fezzle said:

i remember the bookies had us about 1/20 to sign Scott Sinclair one January. Clearly they no fuck all except what mugs are putting on it

In the first Summer window under the new owners we were 1/20 to sign Dean Henderson at one point. Then Pope came in from out of nowhere. 

13 hours ago, Dokko said:

Dubravka has never recovered from the howler in the euros. You can pin point the moment which ended him as a top half keeper. I hadn't realised he was this out of it though. Looks static and slow, and no one at the back has any confidence in him.

If we're not buying a keeper, we've got to get de Gea in for the rest of the season. 

Dubravka was fine when he came back from injury before we signed Pope? Playing little football ever since has probably accelerated his decline like.

40 minutes ago, Minhosa said:

Wonder how easy it would be to bring forward all of next summers budget to January and how much appetite from the owners there would be...

Assume based on ffp that would be impossible and also think the owners wouldn't want to over stretch as we could end up out of Europe altogether for next season. Counter argument to that is very much chicken and the egg in the sense we may need to spend to have a chance of doing well this season and getting europe due to injuries and the what appears unsustainable results we got last year. Especially as Villa, Brighton, spurs and Liverpool all have better ffp outlooks compared to ours thanks to player sales. 

4 minutes ago, nufcjmc said:

Assume based on ffp that would be impossible and also think the owners wouldn't want to over stretch as we could end up out of Europe altogether for next season. Counter argument to that is very much chicken and the egg in the sense we may need to spend to have a chance of doing well this season and getting europe due to injuries and the what appears unsustainable results we got last year. Especially as Villa, Brighton, spurs and Liverpool all have better ffp outlooks compared to ours thanks to player sales. 

Yeah - that's very much the dilemma, and it'll be interesting to see which way they'll go.

I think they'll want to be seen to be helping Howe as much as possible too.

I guess the other thing to consider is the calibre of target we have. Maybe we'll need some form of European football to attract the level of targets they have in mind?

Presumably FFP will dictate the approach but I hope they're looking at all options.

33 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Replacing him as soon as he could? :lol:

Opportunity signing. £10m for a significant upgrade is a no-brainer.

I've never rated Dubs highly. But if not for the opportunity to significantly upgrade him for £10m, I don't think we replace him. I don't think we would've spent £20m on Henderson or someone.

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

I reckon we go for Lloris for 6 months 

Yeah we probably have to go for a temporary solution given it’s mid season and upgrading Pope at this point might be difficult. 

pretty sure Lloris turned us down in the summer though?

Just now, r0cafella said:

Yeah we probably have to go for a temporary solution given it’s mid season and upgrading Pope at this point might be difficult. 

pretty sure Lloris turned us down in the summer though?

Aye but I think I read it’s because he wouldn’t be first choice. Assume he would be now. Not a massive fan but think he’s better than Dubs and Karius 

FFP constraints and all, I think with our current position, and PIF's hunger to maintain our levels, we're going to end up spending the summer budget in January, however constrained that might be... I think we're in for an extremely active window

Just now, Upthemags said:

FFP constraints and all, I think with our current position, and PIF's hunger to maintain our levels, we're going to end up spending the summer budget in January, however constrained that might be... I think we're in for an extremely active window

You mean our current position being 7th? I’m not sure it’s much of a cause for alarm. In fact judging from the documentary they were aware this was likely to happen. 

I’d be surprised if we bought anyone this January personally, at most I see the Gordon esque buy, some loans and some frees. 

Pretty sure we are at our squad limit as well, we’d have to shift some or be happy paying players who aren’t even registered. 

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

You mean our current position being 7th? I’m not sure it’s much of a cause for alarm. In fact judging from the documentary they were aware this was likely to happen. 

I’d be surprised if we bought anyone this January personally, at most I see the Gordon esque buy, some loans and some frees. 

Pretty sure we are at our squad limit as well, we’d have to shift some or be happy paying players who aren’t even registered. 

Agreed it's no cause for alarm, kind of the opposite actually - situated where with two or so appreciable moves, we can make a real push in the second half.

How we logistically get that done, with the complications you point out, I don't know. But I would expect some significant action nonetheless.