NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

Newcastle United are determined to not be too reactive to their injury issues and stick to a long-term plan in the transfer market, meaning a move for Manchester City and England midfielder Kalvin Phillips, 28, could be in doubt. Fulham and Crystal Palace also hold an interest in the former Leeds man. (I Sport)

5 minutes ago, Away Toon said:

Newcastle United are determined to not be too reactive to their injury issues and stick to a long-term plan in the transfer market, meaning a move for Manchester City and England midfielder Kalvin Phillips, 28, could be in doubt. Fulham and Crystal Palace also hold an interest in the former Leeds man. (I Sport)

Sounds perfect for a you take Phillips we’ll take Palhinha situation. 

2 hours ago, Away Toon said:

Didn’t realise he was 28. He really needs to leave asap if he wants a career. 

One could argue that there’s not much left to play for this season other than the FA Cup. Not saying we should write it all off or anything, but I don’t think we should be throwing a wrench into our long term planning or selling key players for the sake of chasing a Europa slot. If we can get one without overreacting in January, that’s a nice bonus.

Edited by oldtype

7 minutes ago, oldtype said:

One could argue that there’s not much left to play for this season other than the FA Cup. Not saying we should write it all off or anything, but I don’t think we should be throwing a wrench into our long term planning or selling key players for the sake of chasing a Europa slot. If we can get one without overreacting in January, that’s a nice bonus.

Being in Europe does attract players - as well as helping in keeping good ones at the club.  I’m not sure that assuming that Bruno, Isak, Botman etc are happy to simply write off a season - and Europe next season - is the right course of action.  The FA Cup means that, at the moment, there is everything to play for - we weren’t going to win the PL, and we’re unlikely to any time soon.  The FA Cup should be taken deadly seriously. 

14 hours ago, Menace said:

I have absolutely nothing against Hall, but we lost out on Pedro for similar type of money we paid/will pay for Hall. I honestly feel like Pedro would've been an absolute cracking signing for us and really versatile too.

You are ignoring that we couldnt buy Hall, its the entire reason hes on loan so how do you think we would have got Pedro? I am sure Watford would have been delighted to simply give us him all season for nowt instead of banking £30m from Brighton

23 minutes ago, Fezzle said:

You are ignoring that we couldnt buy Hall, its the entire reason hes on loan so how do you think we would have got Pedro? I am sure Watford would have been delighted to simply give us him all season for nowt instead of banking £30m from Brighton

Aye, if we where going to sign Pedro it would have been instead of Barnes imo.

Godfrey is a strange one, seem to remember he was on the outskirts of the England squad at one point but he doesn't ever seem to see the pitch for Everton these days.

1 hour ago, Fezzle said:

You think Hall's loan was free? We could have easily offered a similar type of deal for him. Isn't Hall costing us £35m total? £5m up front and £30m over a few years and Watford would have taken it.

8 hours ago, oldtype said:

Which is fine as long as the club owners are prepared to write the season off without any repercussions. You can't expect short term results with a long term plan.

Writing off the season at this point is absurd. There’s a transfer window and 15+ matches to go in the league. Nothing has been written yet. 

2 minutes ago, Menace said:

You think Hall's loan was free? We could have easily offered a similar type of deal for him. Isn't Hall costing us £35m total? £5m up front and £30m over a few years and Watford would have taken it.

How do you have any clue what Watford would have taken, fresh from relegation they clearly needed the money so zero incentive to turn down Brightons hard cash for our loan

How do you have a clue what Brighton offered? What clubs even offer transfer fees straight up without amortisation now days

Edit: I'm pretty sure Brighton have a £300-400m hole they own their owner too or am I mistaken?

Edited by Menace

3 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Writing off the season at this point is absurd. There’s a transfer window and 15+ matches to go in the league. Nothing has been written yet. 

It doesn't have to be written off, but it's unfair to expect a certain level of results if you aren't in a position to bolster a badly flagging squad using the transfer market.

6 minutes ago, Kanji said:

2 points off Europe, it'll probably be 6 or so after the next two games but you can make that up in 16 games with a fresher squad, players back and one or two new players, as well as having played 3 of the best 4 teams twice already.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

I’m just a fan, it’s up to the highly paid club executives to figure out ways to improve the squad and support Howe. You can’t always manage a business looking at long term when you’re ignoring the current situation. That’s a  poor way to operate anything - and would be terribly unfair to the supporters of the club and the current players and staff who are busting their tails to stay fit or get fit and risking their own health. 

5 minutes ago, Menace said:

How do you have a clue what Brighton offered? What clubs even offer transfer fees straight up without amortisation now days

Edit: I'm pretty sure Brighton have a £300-400m hole they own their owner too or am I mistaken?

You realise they bought him start of May right? Just the 110 days before we loaned Hall. I have zero idea where you are directing this shite now so am out....

18 minutes ago, Pilko said:

Godfrey is a strange one, seem to remember he was on the outskirts of the England squad at one point but he doesn't ever seem to see the pitch for Everton these days.

We won’t be signing Godfrey - I am 100% convinced - he’s totally lost his way 

11 minutes ago, Mikky said:

We won’t be signing Godfrey - I am 100% convinced - he’s totally lost his way 

He's also a red card waiting to happen every time i watch him play. Doesn't seem like an EH signing at all.