NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

2 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

This is the key issue. If you have to generate revenue to spend then there are limited sources. Matchday and other stadium-generated revenue is an essential part.

Arsenal made the move early on but had the perfect opportunity in available land and sympathetic local authorities. Man City somewhat lucked into a new stadium. West Ham massively lucked into a new stadium. Levy worked on it for over a decade before finally making it happen.

Liverpool have repeatedly expanded Anfield to a capacity of 61K. Villa are working on expanding Villa Park to 50K by 2028 and other redevelopment. The biggest issues now seem to be you guys and Chelsea. Both locations impose restrictions on what can be achieved with the current ground. 

Yep, agreed.  And unlike Chelsea (space being at a premium in west London), we’re choosing to box ourselves in and limit what is possible.

Which is why if PIF is serious, we won’t be at SJP in the medium term. 

11 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

It’s one of the big criticisms I’d have is their slowness in actually getting commercials in.  Especially some seriously low-hanging fruit.  I’m not at all confident re the maximising revenue element to date. 

Explain more?

4 minutes ago, STM said:

Explain more?

They’ve made three deals of real significance - all relating to the kit.

Two were PIF sponsorships - Sela and Noon.  Not for huge sums (thanks to ‘FMV’), but hardly difficult to do.

The other was getting adidas onboard as kit manufacturer.  Again, not exactly difficult - their primary business is sportswear, and every club in the world has a kit manufacturer- and while it is of course much higher than the old Castore deal (not hard - Ashley’s deals were never any good) - if they are serious about being challengers, then a five year kit deal at a much lower income than their future competitors looks like a much better deal for adidas.

Ashley somehow shrank commercial revenues at NUFC over 15 years (not allowing for inflation, which made it even worse) at a time where every club saw explosions in income - growing them wasn’t exactly a challenge.

I would’ve expected absolute maximisation of all potential commercial revenue streams in the two plus years they’ve been in situ.  Training ground sponsorship, stadium sponsorship, training kit sponsorship, large numbers of partnerships with various other companies.  Even John Hall era NUFC opened up multiple club shops to try to increase commercials.

In comparison to Ashley, it’s night and day.  But Ashley is no benchmark.  

14 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

They’ve made three deals of real significance - all relating to the kit.

Two were PIF sponsorships - Sela and Noon.  Not for huge sums (thanks to ‘FMV’), but hardly difficult to do.

The other was getting adidas onboard as kit manufacturer.  Again, not exactly difficult - their primary business is sportswear, and every club in the world has a kit manufacturer- and while it is of course much higher than the old Castore deal (not hard - Ashley’s deals were never any good) - if they are serious about being challengers, then a five year kit deal at a much lower income than their future competitors looks like a much better deal for adidas.

Ashley somehow shrank commercial revenues at NUFC over 15 years (not allowing for inflation, which made it even worse) at a time where every club saw explosions in income - growing them wasn’t exactly a challenge.

I would’ve expected absolute maximisation of all potential commercial revenue streams in the two plus years they’ve been in situ.  Training ground sponsorship, stadium sponsorship, training kit sponsorship, large numbers of partnerships with various other companies.  Even John Hall era NUFC opened up multiple club shops to try to increase commercials.

In comparison to Ashley, it’s night and day.  But Ashley is no benchmark.  

The stadium sponsorship is a tough place for them to go. The training ground sponsorship will come when we build a new training ground.

I'm fairly sure Eales and Silverstone know what they are doing. :lol:

I suspect the Adidas deal has built in incentives for European qualification and performance. 40m per season is likely the base amount. Tends to be the case when teams are selling themselves as being ambitious/wanting to push on. The deal after this will likely be the one with (fingers crossed) more parity to the established 'big 6' out the gate. 

Just now, STM said:

The stadium sponsorship is a tough place for them to go. The training ground sponsorship will come when we build a new training ground.

Yep, no doubt they do.  Just saying that I don’t think that to date they’ve maximised the potential commercial revenues.  This season’s are likely to be roughly on a par with Everton’s.  

2 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

I suspect the Adidas deal has built in incentives for European qualification and performance. 40m per season is likely the base amount. Tends to be the case when teams are selling themselves as being ambitious/wanting to push on. The deal after this will likely be the one with (fingers crossed) more parity to the established 'big 6' out the gate. 

Hope so - five years is a long time to lock that deal in place

It’s all about getting value though. The club will have a rate card for all of this stuff, and they’ll wait for the deal that matches it.

Why lock in on a multi year training kit sponsorship now for example, when you expect you could do a substantially better deal on 12/18 months time? We’ve seen the arse on we’ve had with getting out of the Castore deal. Brands want longer term partnerships to maximise their exposure and association with NUFC so there’ll be pretty punitive break clauses if we try to wriggle out of things early. 

The commercial side of things seems to be ticking along quite nicely. The Saudis and InPost partnerships are likely to be reasonably lucrative. I expect bigger deals will come but only when it makes sense for the club.

11 minutes ago, STM said:

Stadium sponsorship for established grounds brings in chicken feed. In fact, can anyone even think of one? Established grounds have established names. I don't recall anyone calling SJP the sportsdirectarena or whatever abomination it was, and that is reflected in £££. It only works for new stadiums.

1 minute ago, brummie said:

Stadium sponsorship for established grounds brings in chicken feed. In fact, can anyone even think of one? Established grounds have established names. I don't recall anyone calling SJP the sportsdirectarena or whatever abomination it was, and that is reflected in £££. It only works for new stadiums.

Mainly because Ashley gave it to his own company and they weren’t exactly popular round these parts.  And you’d still be talking money for nothing.

51 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Yep, agreed.  And unlike Chelsea (space being at a premium in west London), we’re choosing to box ourselves in and limit what is possible.

Which is why if PIF is serious, we won’t be at SJP in the medium term. 

I know someone who works in planning………….all I will say is the Metro Arena site could be the answer, not a definite but it’s a contender?‍♂️

1 minute ago, FloydianMag said:

I know someone who works in planning………….all I will say is the Metro Arena site could be the answer, not a definite but it’s a contender?‍♂️

That would be my favoured spot, tbh

2 minutes ago, FloydianMag said:

I’m anti-new stadium, except when it comes to the arena site. I think it would look outstanding, keep the club in the heart of the city and provoke a lot of regeneration of the surrounding area too.

Guest reefatoon
18 minutes ago, Miggys First Goal said:

Downie mentioning Mitro on loan. 

Blimey. Watched him play in a match a couple of months ago and he looked so out of shape. 

1 minute ago, christ said:

I’m anti-new stadium, except when it comes to the arena site. I think it would look outstanding, keep the club in the heart of the city and provoke a lot of regeneration of the surrounding area too.

It’s ideal for Metro and train links and as you say still in the centre of town and overlooking the Tyne.

3 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

We’d have to completely change the way we play to accommodate him. Can’t see it.

Could argue it this way. Could also see it as he offers an actual plan B/option to change styles mid-match.

3 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

Could argue it this way. Could also see it as he offers an actual plan B/option to change styles mid-match.

Not really a plan B unless it would work with the players we have providing service. It wouldn’t.