NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

2 minutes ago, STM said:

Very much looks like we are going to be busy at the end of this window.

Yeah, it’s suddenly getting interesting.  Players out likely means players in.  I’m all onboard for this tbh - could be an exciting window when nowt would have been anticipated

I wonder if the club are right up against it FFP wise? I remember in thr summer there was speculation that our spending meant we had to qualify for Europe again next season in some capacity.  With how things have panned out plus the Joelinton injury we may have to sell to fund transfers to get us into Europe or sell just to be ffp compliant in any case. 

5 minutes ago, STM said:

Very much looks like we are going to be busy at the end of this window.

Not unless clubs start offering decent money, quite unlikely imo since everyone is hindered by FFP.

Player trading is a part of football and I wouldn’t hate getting rid of two players, despite how good they’ve been for us, in their 30s if it meant keeping Bruno, Botman & Isak around for longer 

9 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I wonder if the club are right up against it FFP wise? I remember in thr summer there was speculation that our spending meant we had to qualify for Europe again next season in some capacity.  With how things have panned out plus the Joelinton injury we may have to sell to fund transfers to get us into Europe or sell just to be ffp compliant in any case. 

This is a good point, but Id really like to think that management would not take a risk as silly as we must qualify for Europe again to be FFP compliant. They don’t strike me as incompetent, but we defo stretched our limits as far as we could.

Edited by Nine

10 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

We definitely are

4 minutes ago, Nine said:

This is a good point, but Id really like to think that management would not take a risk as silly as we must qualify for Europe again to be FFP compliant. They don’t strike me as incompetent, but we defo stretched our limits as far as we could.

We should’ve had a squad good enough to qualify for the conference league like. 

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

We should’ve had a squad good enough to qualify for the conference league like. 

On paper maybe, but this is football and our management know enough to know that success is not linear and things can change quickly. I just cannot see them gambling like that, as it happened we were an injury crisis away from it being a big ask.

We just don’t move that short term, no evidence of that attitude at all. Everything is geared towards a steady build with long term success.

Edited by Nine

I dont think there is any movement until after the Fulham game. In that we probably get another player injured "out for weeks", and then we realize only 3-4 days left of the window.

I don’t hate the idea of using a partially lost season to see if we can get above market fees for aging players.

But it is a lot of goals + assists to replace by August. The pressure would be on to find the right mix of players to push us forward. 

Loans make no sense to me unless we’re seriously close to the limit. That could only be put down to some questionable planning.

If we’re not getting decent fees I’d prefer to keep them for a Europe push / FA Cup run.

Yep, it’s disappointing that Tripps wants out but he’s helped raise the profile of the club.

We need some leaders to step into that void because his influence is massive on the pitch.

If Wilson leaves I wouldn’t be massively disappointed, he’s injury prone and misses as much as he plays. Needs a run of games to get sharp too which is hard when you have someone like Isak playing.

As Eales mentioned, selling someone for 50 million opens up a chance where you could spend 50m on 4 or 5 different players so there could well be a bit of a spree at the end of the window.

16 minutes ago, TRC said:

I think Sky are realizing viewership is down and have just turned a few screws here.

Apparently the two SSN Transfer numptys have been getting pelters on social media for the boring transfer window, over the years Sky have made both deadline days box office, this one has been awful.

40 minutes ago, Nine said:

On paper maybe, but this is football and our management know enough to know that success is not linear and things can change quickly. I just cannot see them gambling like that, as it happened we were an injury crisis away from it being a big ask.

We just don’t move that short term, no evidence of that attitude at all. Everything is geared towards a steady build with long term success.

What you’re saying doesn’t make sense. If we have a squad good enough for 7th on paper, why wouldn’t they gamble on finishing 7th? That’s still a regression - just a reasonable one. 

Just now, The College Dropout said:

What you’re saying doesn’t make sense. If we have a squad good enough for 7th on paper, why wouldn’t they gamble on finishing 7th? That’s still a regression - just a reasonable one. 

Because they have the sense to not gamble our financial restrictions in a sport where success rarely moves linearly, especially having just qualified for Europe once in the last 10 years. 

These guys are seriously invested long term, not some chancers that risk point deductions for short term gain. 

19 minutes ago, Nine said:

Because they have the sense to not gamble our financial restrictions in a sport where success rarely moves linearly, especially having just qualified for Europe once in the last 10 years. 

These guys are seriously invested long term, not some chancers that risk point deductions for short term gain. 

Linear is a straight line.  Finishing 4th then 7th isn’t linear success.  It’s a regression.  

Without that investment we don’t give Howe a fair chance at succeeding. 

They are not risking a points deduction. If we don’t get Europe, then we sell players to balance the books. 

20 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Linear is a straight line.  Finishing 4th then 7th isn’t linear success.  It’s a regression.  

Without that investment we don’t give Howe a fair chance at succeeding. 

They are not risking a points deduction. If we don’t get Europe, then we sell players to balance the books. 

I’d say finishing in any European spot in back to back seasons is pretty linear success, considering 4 windows ago we were on the edge of relegation.. you need to zoom out and see the bigger picture here. The point remains there is absolutely no guarantee that you  finish top 7 with our current squad and as has been shown - an increased schedule, injuries and lack of depth can derail your season. They would have calculated the risks in far more detail than is available to the likes of us, and I just can’t see that this management would play it that way.

That’s just a mad assumption, gambling on bringing in funds during the winter window to balance the books just doesn’t make sense. I know this is cliche and I hate saying it, but I can’t help but feel you are making this out to be far

more football managery than it needs to be. Sorry like [emoji38]

Edited by Nine