NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

3 minutes ago, 54 said:

Ultimately, does it matter? If they can come in and do a job? Who cares? :lol:

Given the fees that get quoted from PL clubs for their players and our lack of wriggle room due to PSR/FFP, I'd say it does atm. Not usually though. 

Edited by HaydnNUFC

4 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Given the fees that get quoted from PL clubs for their players and our lack of wriggle room due to PSR/FFP, I'd say it does atm. Not usually though. 

The good thing is we've only bought domestically when it was reasonable value. Our big swings have been foreign signings. 

Seems more like the domestic players we've brought in have been more squad options for the most part.

Edited by KaKa

Whilst there’s an argument that Barnes injury was a freak, he also missed some substantial time 2 seasons before.

It can’t be a total shock that he’s taken so long to heal. (Was a knee injury before where he missed more time but less games)

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

The good thing is we've only bought domestically when it was reasonable value. Our big swings have been foreign signings. 

Seems more like the domestic players we've brought in have been more squad options for the most part.

Isak and Tonali were but 3 of our 5 most expensive signings post takeover have been Gordon, Livramento and Barnes. Gordon has come good this season after an iffy first few months last season, Livramento has stood out but should be getting more minutes than he is imo, probably ahead of Burn and Barnes through no fault of his own has only played 180 minutes of football this season. I wasn't overly convinced we needed Barnes either, but then I thought that about Gordon last year.

True but I do question how Matt Ritchie has been getting more appearances from the bench than Lewis Hall. May be something we don't know going on behind the scenes there (unsure what, mind). 

10 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Isak and Tonali were but 3 of our 5 most expensive signings post takeover have been Gordon, Livramento and Barnes. Gordon has come good this season after an iffy first few months last season, Livramento has stood out but should be getting more minutes than he is imo, probably ahead of Burn and Barnes through no fault of his own has only played 180 minutes of football this season. I wasn't overly convinced we needed Barnes either, but then I thought that about Gordon last year.

True but I do question how Matt Ritchie has been getting more appearances from the bench than Lewis Hall. May be something we don't know going on behind the scenes there (unsure what, mind). 

I hear you, but for me  we've really only spent big twice and that was for Isak and Tonali at around the £60 million mark.

The £30/£40 million signings are not big money in today's market. £40 million for Gordon who is now a first team standout looks incredible value. The £30 million odd for Barnes seemed an opportunistic one due to Leicester going down, as it pretty much allowed us to firm up the left side with two quality Premier League players. I agree it wasn't necessarily 'needed' as much as other areas, but we seem to be quite opportunistic when making signings at times, rightly or wrongly.

As for Hall, it appears he needed a lot more time than anticipated to pick up is required from him in our system, which can happen I guess.

Edited by KaKa

8 minutes ago, KaKa said:

I hear you, but for me  we've really only spent big twice and that was for Isak and Tonali at around the £60 million mark.

The £30/£40 million signings are not big money in today's market. £40 million for Gordon who is now a first team standout looks incredible value. The £30 million odd for Barnes seemed an opportunistic one due to Leicester going down, as it pretty much allowed us to firm up the left side with two quality Premier League players. I agree it wasn't necessarily 'needed' as much as other areas, but we seem to be quite opportunistic when making signings at times, rightly or wrongly.

Just the constant repeat of those dreaded 3 letters 'FFP' (or PSR) has me thinking that every pound that we spend counts. Better value seems to be abroad and reading about the 'need for PL experience' I just find so frustrating. :lol: Especially when our best and most important players were signed from abroad in Isak and Bruno. Hence the hyperbole from myself; 'fascinated' wasn't the right word but I do think the manager favours a player who plays in the PL or has played in it over a player who hasn't for incoming transfers. We'll see.

Got to just keep the faith, I guess. 

Edited by HaydnNUFC

19 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

This idea that Tino has been pushed aside recently is a myth. 

Trippier has been in and out since Burn came back so there’s a few games where we don’t know who would have started at LB.

We know he was suffering from muscle fatigue for Luton / Forest so he got some rest. He had started eight straight before then (in less than a month).

He then started v Liverpool, rested vs the mackems (could be to get Burn in the derby and/or minutes reasons), and then he was ill for City.

Maybe he will be second choice on both sides, but we really don’t have evidence either way.

1 hour ago, Whitley mag said:

Eddie needs to seriously get over this, he obviously prefers we pay the premium for a lesser player with PL experience.

I remember Tiote coming in from the Dutch league and instantly looking like one of the best defensive midfielders we’ve had in the prem era. 

If we have scouted properly and they have the physical attributes. I’m not sure what the big deal is. If indeed there is one. 

We do certainly seem to favour prem proven. Which results in us spending more money on the fee and the wages, like you’ve mentioned. 

31 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Just the constant repeat of those dreaded 3 letters 'FFP' (or PSR) has me thinking that every pound that we spend counts. Better value seems to be abroad and reading about the 'need for PL experience' I just find so frustrating. :lol: Especially when our best and most important players were signed from abroad in Isak and Bruno. Hence the hyperbole from myself; 'fascinated' wasn't the right word but I do think the manager favours a player who plays in the PL or has played in it over a player who hasn't for incoming transfers. We'll see.

Got to just keep the faith, I guess. 

I wouldn't worry about it. I think we enquire about a lot of players and what their prices are and go from there. With being in the UK we just tend to hear more about the players over here that we enquire about.

Any possible first team addition that is already in the Prem is going to be quoted at such a ridiculous price, that we'll mostly end up shopping abroad.

If something happens with a player that makes them gettable, as was the case with Gordon, or perhaps a club goes down and players are available at okay prices, as was the case with Pope and Barnes, then I think we'll take advantage in this market.

34 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

We do certainly seem to favour prem proven. Which results in us spending more money on the fee and the wages, like you’ve mentioned. 

We haven't spent bigger in fees and wages on domestic players.

21 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Think Howe did the same at Bournemouth. Spent a lot of money on domestic players

In his defence you are always going to struggle to attract certain players to Bournemouth and less so others. I could be wrong but I do think the dressing room camaraderie plays as just a big a part as the ability of a player. Probably thinks it’s easier to improve a good player than integrate a very good prick for want of a better word.

The fact Botman and Tonali were both his no.1 choices each summer shows he’s open to the European market.

11 minutes ago, KaKa said:

We haven't spent bigger in fees and wages on domestic players.

We have signed most of our ‘purples’ from abroad, yes. 

But I do feel like we are paying a premium and in turn, bigger wages because they are already playing in the biggest league in the world.

The price for Hall, Livramento and Gordon all looked high for what those players have achieved so far. Gordon is more than proving value so far, of course. Jury is out on Tino, but he looked quality when regularly starting games. Hall seems a massive waste of time. Barnes was a decent price with his numbers. But hasn’t had a chance to prove it yet. I bet he is one of our highest earners. 

I mentioned it might not be a factor. But looking at Bournemouth’s signings under Howe and a lot of the buys we have made, the comments from

the media and the players we are constantly linked. It does seem like we/Howe favour the Prem market. 

If we are trying to pad out the squad and get some genuine competition. It’s going to be next to impossible to do that unless we do take a punt on more unproven players. Not big ticket players like Botman, Isak and Bruno (Tonali). 

Easy to mention those three and be wise after the event. But I seem to remember most were over the moon with such big name, big money players and were surprised they came here. 

Edited by Lush Vlad

4 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

We have signed most of our ‘purples’ from abroad, yes. 

But I do feel like we are paying a premium and in turn, bigger wages because they are already playing in the biggest league in the world.

The price for Hall, Livramento and Gordon all looked high for what those players have achieved so far. Gordon is more than proving value so far, of course. Jury is out on Tino, but he looked quality when regularly starting games. Hall seems a massive waste of time. Barnes was a decent price with his numbers. But hasn’t had a chance to prove it yet. I bet he is one of our highest earners. 

I mentioned it might not be a factor. But looking at Bournemouth’s signings under Howe and a lot of the buys we have made, the comments from

the media and the players we are constantly linked. It does seem like we/Howe favour the Prem market. 

If we are trying to pad out the squad and get some genuine competition. It’s going to be next to impossible to do that unless we do take a punt on more unproven players. Not big ticket players like Botman, Isak and Bruno. 

Easy to mention those three and be wise after the event. But I seem to remember most were over the moon with such big name, big money players and were surprised they came here. 

Bournemouth were a completely different club with different circumstances at the time, so not really feeling that comparison.

The more expensive Prem signings have all been younger players with big prospects, with only Barnes being older and for what he has done in the Prem already it was a fair price and was still reasonable. I'm also not writing off Hall at all yet, he is 19 years old!

I could understand this type of talk if we had say paid Man Utd the £50 million they were asking for McTominay this past summer or had paid the £70 million Everton were asking for Calvert-Lewin at the time.

A constant narrative from the local press pack is that Howe prefers PL experience, the links to certain players  is no coincidence and are players Howe clearly rates.

I have no doubt if Howe was given the option right now of Connor Gallagher, McTominay, Phillips, Kone, or Thuram, he’d choose any of the first 3 mentioned.

Like him as a coach but want him as far away from transfers as possible.

3 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

A constant narrative from the local press pack is that Howe prefers PL experience, the links to certain players  is no coincidence and are players Howe clearly rates.

I have no doubt if Howe was given the option right now of Connor Gallagher, McTominay, Phillips, Kone, or Thuram, he’d choose any of the first 3 mentioned.

If it’s true, I couldn’t agree more. Mctominay and Billing would be awful signings for a team with CL aspirations. 

13 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

seinfeld-jerry-seinfeld.gif

Edited by KaKa

Just now, Holmesy said:

If it’s true, I couldn’t agree more. Mctominay and Billing would be awful signings for a team with CL aspirations. 

Just read in one of the papers again today how McTominay suits our ethos being tall and physical. :facepalm:

12 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Not like you to go over the top, mate 😁

5 minutes ago, TRon said:

Just read in one of the papers again today how McTominay suits our ethos being tall and physical. :facepalm:

Straight outta the Steve Bruce book of player scouting. 

8 minutes ago, TRon said:

Must be Eddie writing the columns!

15 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Is that not just the local press being lazy though 

8 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

His transfer record isn't actually that bad, even if it's difficult to know the level of involvement he's had in every deal. Clearly there was great talent ID in moving Bournemouth through the football league, even if this doesn't always scale well to PL. In his last two years at Bournemouth, he also spent circa 60m on non-UK players: Danjuma, Lerma, Rico (not these guys were a great use of 60m).