NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

Going back to taking more risks.

Sesko is one Nickson spotted early doors. We won't have a sniff of signing him now, but it shows he's got a brilliant eye for a player and we should lean on his judgement a touch more than we already do.

Adeyemi is not a productive player. Poor passing and assist stats, poor at shot creating actions. Is quick and can carry the ball, can beat a player but on pace, not skill.

I’m sure he has potential in him to improve but not every player realises their potential. 
He’s not really lit it up at Dortmund playing against inferior defences.

There’s obviously a whole load of other stats that clubs use when deciding on a player,  but unless the price was too cheap to pass up and our wage offer was low enough the risk factor was highly attenuated, I’d be surprised to see us look at him.

4 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

What makes you think we don't already lean heavily on his judgement? No particular reason but I've thought for ages now that he really knows his shit.

He's obviously a key part of the recruitment team, but in recent windows there's been a tendency to pay a lot for potential, particularly in the English market. There isn't anything wrong with that, but given the PSR limitations we may need to take a few more risk by looking at cheaper alternatives further afieid.

11 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Sesko is one Nickson spotted early doors. We won't have a sniff of signing him now, but it shows he's got a brilliant eye for a player and we should lean on his judgement a touch more than we already do.

Sesko looked very very good in the clips and highlight reels. I’d rather we had Isak. No club in our relative position is going to have both an Isak and a Sesko unless one of them happens to be home grown imo.

1 minute ago, Lotus said:

Sesko looked very very good in the clips and highlight reels. I’d rather we had Isak. No club in our relative position is going to have both an Isak and a Sesko unless one of them happens to be home grown imo.

My point is he's an example of Nickson spotting a rough diamond, before he became a well known name.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

My point is he's an example of Nickson spotting a rough diamond, before he became a well known name.

Didn't he identify Wharton too? Missed the boat there.

2 minutes ago, Lotus said:

Adeyemi is not a productive player. Poor passing and assist stats, poor at shot creating actions. Is quick and can carry the ball, can beat a player but on pace, not skill.

I’m sure he has potential in him to improve but not every player realises their potential. 

There’s obviously a whole load of other stats that clubs use when deciding on a player,  but unless the price was too cheap to pass up and our wage offer was low enough the risk factor was highly attenuated, I’d be surprised to see us look at him.

I have been wanting to say something like this. If you talk to Dortmund fans, or listen to podcasts that cover European football, he actually seems a little hit or miss. Someone on Totally Football was talking about him for their CL build-up and mentioned that Adeyemi was brought in as another of the Haaland/Sancho/Bellingham types (young with massive potential that they can make a huge profit on), but it hasn't really happened for him as he is lacking a consistent end product. 

Don't get me wrong, I think he'd be an upgrade on Almiron, but I think there are others who offer more consistency. I'd take Mbeuomo over Adeyemi. 

Just now, The Prophet said:

He's obviously a key part of the recruitment team, but in recent windows there's been a tendency to pay a lot for potential, particularly in the English market. There isn't anything wrong with that, but given the PSR limitations we may need to take a few more risk by looking at cheaper alternatives further afieid.

Yep, definitely feels like we've exhausted the funds in the "young, British & available" pot until we it the drop off / Richard Masters gets sacked and need to be adding quality (the likes of Ederson would have been ideal before the entire world realised he was a great player).

18 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Especially considering the financial restraints we have on us.

Posted (edited)

Matias soule is this transfer window’s ederson. If he’s available for the quoted £20m, snap him up and trust in Nicholson. Otherwise we’ll have another Wharton, ederson and Sesko situation where his price doubles when the player continues to improve.

Edited by Ronson333

9 minutes ago, Lotus said:

All very fair points, and a big part of the reason he's been made available for what he has.

In my opinion he's still most comfortable playing as a striker, like he did at Salzburg, where he was fantastic. He needs far more consistent minutes playing out wide for him to make that transition.

His data looked better last season, but has regressed this season as his playing time has been more patchy.

At 22 years old and for £25 million, it is very intriguing IMO. But definitely not the finished article.

I guess it will depend on how much we rated him prior to his Dortmund stint. We were credited with a lot of interest when he was leaving Salzburg.

3 hours ago, captainhaircut said:

We don’t need more pace, we need someone from the right who can break down a defence with some guile or creativity. Adeyemi just runs in straight lines, doesn’t really beat a man and can’t finish. Quick but so is Almiron…

There’s pace, then there’s silly pace which Adeyemi has. 

Prefer a creative RW that can play in pockets, but if Adeyemi can be picked up for £20m, that’s a deal that ought to be jumped on. 

7 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

Silly pace is just as useless as pace if there's no consistent end product. 

Obertan was rapid

2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Still maintain Obertan was technically quite good and very athletic, his problem was mental. Could've been Jacob Murphy with better timing. 

Season 6 What GIF by The Office

Chat up here in Glasgow is that NUFC very interested in Matt O'Riley. Source close to his parents told me his family been looking at houses etc. down by. Newcastle been in contact with players reps and made contact with Celtic back in January but by all accounts seems to be moving a bit forward now.

Posted (edited)

Surprised he didn't make the Denmark squad like

One thing doing it in the SPL in a one team league the majority of the season...

I'd offer 5 million max.

Edited by jack j