NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

31 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

The most frustrating thing in all of this is the noise coming out of the club that there has been a reset staff-wise, hence the delay in signings.

If that's true, it's absolutely wank planning! 

I'm not exactly jumping for joy over our transfer activity so far, but losing our DOF and replacing him with Mitchell doesn't seem like wank planning. If anything we've handled that side of it exceptionally well. I'd say the January transfer window where we didn't shift reluctant hangers on was where we came up short.

3 minutes ago, TRon said:

I'm not exactly jumping for joy over our transfer activity so far, but losing our DOF and replacing him with Mitchell doesn't seem like wank planning. If anything we've handled that side of it exceptionally well. I'd say the January transfer window where we didn't shift reluctant hangers on was where we came up short.

Where they hangers on though or did Eddie wanna keep them? 

2 minutes ago, andycap said:

Where they hangers on though or did Eddie wanna keep them? 

I don't know, I'm sure as far as Eddie's concerned, every player is valuable. If it wasn't for PSR we'd probably keep them all.

3 minutes ago, TRon said:

I don't know, I'm sure as far as Eddie's concerned, every player is valuable. If it wasn't for PSR we'd probably keep them all.

That's why you need a DoF (or someone) with more of a view of the long term to help counter the manager's (normal) inclination for short term thinking. Unfortunately ours was playing footsie with Man United at the time.

From the noises coming out of the club we were willing do a deal with Almiron but he didn't want to move to Saudi, so I'd class him as a hanger on rather than Eddie wanting to keep him, although I'm sure he was happy enough to have him available next season, he never lets you down effort wise.

But obviously due to not being able to shift players in January we've ended up selling Anderson and Minteh instead. Not the worst deals, but I'd far rather have shifted Miggy, Wilson or Trippier first.

1 hour ago, sushimonster85 said:

This is true of pretty much every player not currently in that 'elite 100m+' tier. Botman was seen as slow, Isak not prolific enough, Gordon there was more negative than positive. 

That is true, but you have better/worse feeling about some players regardless. 

39 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Sorry why is that a fact? 

That suggests the best deals to be had in the window are at the very end? That goes directly against common thought. 

Clubs don’t need PSR sales in August. What you do get is clubs with players to loan. Quality players are usually signed at a premium towards the end of a window. Or there’s deadwood available. 

Im sorry. Judicious clubs do their work early.  

We lost half our leadership team in July and hired a new point man for transfers who needs to assess everything about the club which is taking time. That’s the most logical reason for moving slowly in the market.  And that we may need to shift more players to ensure we can afford the players we want come next June. 

The suggestion, as I meant it, is that unfortunately our moves in the market require an exceeding level of caution and forethought - much more, in fact, than other clubs need to exercise. (Clubs against whom we seem to be measuring our conduct this transfer window.) It's easy to point at ManU, who might as well have an endless stream of revenue to re-invest, and feel sorry for ourselves because we aren't operating with a similarly light trigger finger.

We're on the same page that the club/Ashworth mishandled operations and weren't prepared for the reality of PSR. But in our current scenario, where we have 10 pounds to spend, and the other giant clubs have 200 pounds to spend, then yes, I think we are, by nature, last-movers in this market. There will be plenty of clubs forced to lower their asking prices this summer as time goes on for talent they want (need) to dispose of. Not in all instances to be sure.

14 minutes ago, simonsays said:

are people genuinely concerned about our perceived lack of activity, or is it just that the absence of any solid rumours means that there isnt much to talk about so everyone starts sniping at each other?

Your guess is as good as mine, but not everyone is equally comfortable with uncertainty and it is easy to get stressed (perhaps unduly) given relative radio silence; and obvious impact of injuries last season. Probably best to save angst until window closes (36 days) and/if we are facing another three months with too few options. 

Edited by Coffee_Johnny

9 minutes ago, andycap said:

I think why people are starting to worry a bit me included, is that Edwardo likes a lot of time to get them upto speed before featuring. 

So the later we bring them in the less chance we will see them playing. 

I think we're basically past that time already with the possible exception of a star RW, so people should mentally prepare for our first three games to mostly feature players who are already here.

1 hour ago, Holmesy said:

The most frustrating thing in all of this is the noise coming out of the club that there has been a reset staff-wise, hence the delay in signings.

If that's true, it's absolutely wank planning! 

Hiring a highly regarded DoF is absolutely wank planning? :lol:

Just now, Pata said:

Hiring a highly regarded DoF is absolutely wank planning? :lol:

Yes mate, that's exactly what I said. We're wank at planning because we hired a highly regarded DoF. Word for word!

Can we put some sort of mandatory fucking IQ test in place to join this board FFS?! 

15 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Your guess is as good as mine, but not everyone is equally comfortable with uncertainty and it is easy to get stressed (perhaps unduly) given relative radio silence; and obvious impact of injuries last season. Probably best to save angst until window closes (36 days) and/if we are facing another three months with too few options.

With Botman and Lacelles still out long-term, Miley missing start of season, Wilson possibly missing start of season, Willock made of glass, and if the Chronic is to be believed, Longstaff still struggling and a few other not yet in proper training, there's going to be an obvious impact next season too. Even without Europe, we could be stretched to breaking point again if we do well the cups. We need 3 high quality players minimum.

1 minute ago, Holmesy said:

Yes mate, that's exactly what I said. We're wank at planning because we hired a highly regarded DoF. Word for word!

Can we put some sort of mandatory fucking IQ test in place to join this board FFS?! 

WTF did you mean then? Please explain.

1 minute ago, Turnbull2000 said:

With Botman and Lacelles still out long-term, Miley missing start of season, Wilson possibly missing start of season, Willock made of glass, and if the Chronic is to be believed, Longstaff still struggling and a few other not yet in proper training, there's going to be an obvious impact next season too. Even without Europe, we could be stretched to breaking point again if we do well the cups. We need 3 high quality players minimum.

Yep. 36 days. 

1 minute ago, Pata said:

WTF did you mean then? Please explain.

I assume he means that we knew Ashworth was gone from February. So we should have brought in a new SDin time to plan for the next transfer window.  Or at least - have a workable plan to execute without his direct input while he gets up to speed.  

Neither happened. 

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I assume he means that we knew Ashworth was gone from February. So we should have brought in a new SDin time to plan for the next transfer window.  Or at least - have a workable plan to execute without his direct input while he gets up to speed.  

Neither happened. 

You must have passed the IQ test then.