NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

3 minutes ago, Joey47 said:

Interesting, football insider not the best source but if they were just farming clicks wouldn’t they go with “bid made” or “interest shown”?

Daniel Cordone, Andreas Andersson, Allan Saint-Maximin, Noni Makueke. Illustrious list of  hairband heroes! 

1 minute ago, gbandit said:

Would be delighted with Madueke. Don’t want to give Chelsea cash but hopefully we can stiff them as they need to offload some squad members 

Im honestly not seeing what you are seeing. Hes largely been terrible when I’ve saw him and his stats are similar to Murphy

7 hours ago, Pata said:

IMO Barnes was an opportunistic signing but there's some history being re-written here. Gordon hadn't nailed down that LW spot when we signed Barnes and one reason we went for a pure LW was that Gordon was seen as a LW/RW/SS. After few games into the season Gordon had been so good at LW that moving him to get Barnes in to the lineup didn't make sense anymore and the void at RW started to look worse. Didn't help that Barnes wasn't fit during the autumn/winter injury crisis when we had so few players available that we probably would've needed to move Gordon to RW for some games in any case.

In hindsight it's easy to say to that Barnes was unnecessary signing and the funds should've been used for a RW but it wasn't that clear when he was signed. In other universe Gordon was injured for most of the season and Barnes carried us at LW, there's always some luck and chance at play and criticizing decisions afterwards is never hard.

There’s zero evidence that Howe intended to play Gordon RW. 

Barnes joined in July and only started a game in September due to the CL games kicking in. All evidence is that’s the role he was brought in for.   Rotation and competition with Gordon.  Thats a decision with some logic but not a wise one imo considering our limited budget and more pressing concerns. 

Signing Barnes would be like us signing a £30m left back in January last season because Hall had not settled in yet.  

We knew Gordon wasn’t the finished article when we signed him. He was a long term investment.  

We should’ve done what we’ve now done at LB. Get in a relatively cheap option on loan or permanently to provide competition.  It was oppportunistic because the player was available.  

1 minute ago, gdm said:

Im honestly not seeing what you are seeing. Hes largely been terrible when I’ve saw him and his stats are similar to Murphy

Would be interesting to compare his PSV stats to Minteh’s Feyenord stats.

Just now, gdm said:

Think Thiaw will be the CH we buy. Reckon a deal will get done soon. Just my feeling 

Aye, same. Started out questionable Italian sources reporting it, then reliable Italian sources and now quite a few local sources here. Feels like the momentum is definitely there for this to start moving seriously.

2 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

You would imagine in a summer window you are already sure of all your targets before it opens ?

It appears our primary targets were Tosin and Olise. 

If our bids had been accepted for them everyone would be cock-a-hoop (even though there’s a reasonable chance Olise isn’t available for the first couple of weeks).

Unfortunately it doesn’t just work like, ‘we didn’t get him, right we’ll have him instead’, easy as that.

Liverpool have arguably had one of, if not the best, transfer strategies in recent times. How many players have they signed so far this window? 

3 minutes ago, SteV said:

So you’d already answered your own question really.

Not really, the point was that I had hoped we would have been further along with our signings by now, considering how long Eddie likes to bed people in.

So surely having players in as quickly as possible would be a huge benefit to him because of this.

I know it's not as easy as we would like to sign players, it's just a bit frustrating watching on and knowing how much it could help us in the early part of the season if we had everyone in and up to speed.

13 minutes ago, Joey47 said:

Interesting, football insider not the best source but if they were just farming clicks wouldn’t they go with “bid made” or “interest shown”?

Footy Insidee do get a few right. They're middle of the road for me in terms of reliability. Not Ornstein, but not Indy Kaila either.

2 minutes ago, beardsleymagic said:

Not really, the point was that I had hoped we would have been further along with our signings by now, considering how long Eddie likes to bed people in.

So surely having players in as quickly as possible would be a huge benefit to him because of this.

I know it's not as easy as we would like to sign players, it's just a bit frustrating watching on and knowing how much it could help us in the early part of the season if we had everyone in and up to speed.

I agree its frustrating. But we could have made 2/3 new signings by the time we play Saints. Lets reserve judgement until then.

8 minutes ago, gdm said:

I haven’t looked at his stats but I’ve watched him play probably 8-10 times and I’ve seen a lot of things I like.

These stats look fairly decent but if they’re similar to Murphy’s then the stats are obviously not telling the full story as he’s far more gifted on the ball than Murphy. I’d say that Murphy is definitely a better crosser as things stand but obviously Madueke has a lot of room to grow. Equally, he’s been playing in a clownshow of a team for ages so under a proper manager and coach with regular game time I think he’ll be class 

https://fbref.com/en/players/bf34eebd/Noni-Madueke

9 minutes ago, beardsleymagic said:

I’m sure everyone, Eddie included, would have preferred to have all his signings in by now, but it just doesn’t always work like that.

Eddie’s best signing has been Isak (maybe Bruno, but for the sake of this argument I’ll go with Isak). He was signed after the season started. We could have been impatient, and coughed up for Joao Pedro or someone to be in for the start of the season a couple of weeks prior, but we’re all rather glad we didn’t.

22 minutes ago, SteV said:

It appears our primary targets were Tosin and Olise. 

If our bids had been accepted for them everyone would be cock-a-hoop (even though there’s a reasonable chance Olise isn’t available for the first couple of weeks).

Unfortunately it doesn’t just work like, ‘we didn’t get him, right we’ll have him instead’, easy as that.

Liverpool have arguably had one of, if not the best, transfer strategies in recent times. How many players have they signed so far this window? 

I’m not saying that’s how it works, but I’m certain we already have our list of targets so there will be no rushing for players we aren’t sure of. 

9 minutes ago, SteV said:

I’m sure everyone, Eddie included, would have preferred to have all his signings in by now, but it just doesn’t always work like that.

Eddie’s best signing has been Isak (maybe Bruno, but for the sake of this argument I’ll go with Isak). He was signed after the season started. We could have been impatient, and coughed up for Joao Pedro or someone to be in for the start of the season a couple of weeks prior, but we’re all rather glad we didn’t.

Get the point you are trying to make, but we didn’t sign Isak because we were patient. We pulled the Pedro deal after it was agreed because Wilson got injured and so we went big on Isak.

2 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

I’m not saying that’s how it works, but I’m certain we already have our list of targets so there will be no rushing for players we aren’t sure of. 

Alright, I’ll put it another way. Should we go for number 3 or 4 on the list now, if we think there’s still a realistic chance of getting number 2 later in the window?

Just now, SteV said:

Alright, I’ll put it another way. Should we go for number 3 or 4 on the list now, if we think there’s still a realistic chance of getting number 2 later in the window?

I think you have misunderstood the point I made initially (or I have with your initial post). All I meant was that any player we sign this window I’d be amazed if we hadn’t already done months of due diligence on. I don’t think any signing we make we would have rushed in on.

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

Get the point you are trying to make, but we didn’t sign Isak because we were patient. We pulled the Pedro deal after it was agreed because Wilson got injured and so we went big on Isak.

Yes, it’s not a perfect example, as there’s generally always a degree of external factors that feed into any transfer, especially big ones.

But the fact remains, if we’d gone in earlier on a Pedro, or whoever, we wouldn’t have Isak.

12 minutes ago, SteV said:

I agree in hindsight sometimes it's better to play the longer game.. Sometimes in hindsight it's not. Hopefully the club has this all under control in the background and I, like a lot of people, are just being a bunch of fannies.

I will definitely hold my hands up if we sign a couple of quality players and go on a good run.

I think it's just ingrained in me to think on the negative side of things after what has went on in the past.

Maybe seeing us lift the league trophy this season will rid me of that feeling next year [emoji38]