NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

1 minute ago, Sibierski said:

Think it’s more fortunate that we’ve not had a Schar injury yet. To go into the season without signing an actual CB would be dumbest thing we could ever do.

Lascelles filled in last season, but let’s be honest, we can’t be having him starting RCB if we want to get pushing back upwards. 

Lascelles won’t even be back until midway through the season irrespective of potential return to form and ability. 

Just watching the Loaded channel where they have a guy from Milan as their guest, and he's there to discuss Thiaw, and he's saying that he's more suited to a low block defence, but when Milan pushed high then he sometimes struggled with strikers who got him in behind him. That sort of ties in with the poster who said he lacked pace. Obviously he mentioned his attributes as well like his strength and defensive nous, but seeing as we also push forward in numbers, I would have thought recovery pace should be high on our list. We certainly shouldn't be paying over the odds if Milan are looking to replace him, maybe £25m would be reasonable.

Just now, TRon said:

Just watching the Loaded channel where they have a guy from Milan as their guest, and he's there to discuss Thiaw, and he's saying that he's more suited to a low block defence, but when Milan pushed high then he sometimes struggled with strikers who got him in behind him. That sort of ties in with the poster who said he lacked pace. Obviously he mentioned his attributes as well like his strength and defensive nous, but seeing as we also push forward in numbers, I would have thought recovery pace should be high on our list. We certainly shouldn't be paying over the odds if Milan are looking to replace him, maybe £25m would be reasonable.

Yes I thought recovery pace would’ve been one of the main things we’d be looking at. I don’t know much about Thiaw to be fair though.

Just now, ExiledGeordie said:

Yes I thought recovery pace would’ve been one of the main things we’d be looking at. I don’t know much about Thiaw to be fair though.

The Milan guy is emphasising he's only 22 so lots of room for improvement, but would be a bit of a comedown from signing Tosin on a free then spending big money on Thiaw who has potential flaws in his game. Guess we just have to go with our scouts who must have watched him pretty extensively.

3 minutes ago, TRon said:

He's quicker than Schar which is a good thing, especially if he is going to play on the right side. If we lined up with Tino, Thiaw, Kelly, Hall, you've got decent pace across the back line there tbf.  Burn and more importantly Botman bring that pace down abit, but I still think it would take a great pass and Elite pace to bypass everyone. A good sweeper keeper makes that link up even harder. 

16 minutes ago, M1tche said:

He's quicker than Schar which is a good thing, especially if he is going to play on the right side. If we lined up with Tino, Thiaw, Kelly, Hall, you've got decent pace across the back line there tbf.  Burn and more importantly Botman bring that pace down abit, but I still think it would take a great pass and Elite pace to bypass everyone. A good sweeper keeper makes that link up even harder. 

Added pace is a bonus, particularly against defence splitting passes to quick forwards. Players who can read a game Schar and Trippier spring to mind aren’t disadvantaged facing most attacking scenarios. 

21 minutes ago, M1tche said:

I'd assume even if we push forward we'd have one defender sitting deeper anyway to cover for any breaks by the opposition, as you say we seem to have managed with Schar and Botman pretty well when they played together. Plus this Alessandro guy seems to think Thiaw reads the game pretty well and that is also similar to Schar.

29 minutes ago, TRon said:

The Milan guy is emphasising he's only 22 so lots of room for improvement, but would be a bit of a comedown from signing Tosin on a free then spending big money on Thiaw who has potential flaws in his game. Guess we just have to go with our scouts who must have watched him pretty extensively.

Yeah I don’t pay that much attention to prospective reports really though they can be interesting. There are so many factors that equate to a successful transfer and you’re never going to get them all right but the scouting team has done pretty well so far so I’m happy with whatever they go with currently. 

People are going to rip me out for this, but I'm worried. The longer we go without incomings or outgoings, the more concerned I get.

I'm not saying this window won't work out for us - I'm aware there's over a month to go. But I also think you're in lala land if you think things are running smoothly behind the scenes in regards to transfers.

Contrary to what some people are saying, many teams around us are making key signings, a number of which would do well for us. I'm hoping/trusting things will work out, but I really think we need to prepare for a reality in which the window shuts with our squad barely having been improved. Just my opinion.

I'll be the first to hold my hand up and apologise for doubting if we sign 2-3 quality players and offload a bunch too. I'm not sure I'm ready to trust the club yet - too many years of hurt and frustration have been had.

2 minutes ago, southernmag said:

I really think we need to prepare for a reality in which the window shuts with our squad barely having been improved. Just my opinion. 

What evidence supports this view, though?

7 minutes ago, southernmag said:

People are going to rip me out for this, but I'm worried. The longer we go without incomings or outgoings, the more concerned I get.

I'm not saying this window won't work out for us - I'm aware there's over a month to go. But I also think you're in lala land if you think things are running smoothly behind the scenes in regards to transfers.

Contrary to what some people are saying, many teams around us are making key signings, a number of which would do well for us. I'm hoping/trusting things will work out, but I really think we need to prepare for a reality in which the window shuts with our squad barely having been improved. Just my opinion.

I'll be the first to hold my hand up and apologise for doubting if we sign 2-3 quality players and offload a bunch too. I'm not sure I'm ready to trust the club yet - too many years of hurt and frustration have been had.

It’s 28th July, relax man 😂 You’re also making making wild assumptions about how things aren’t going well behind the scenes based on an absolutely nothing. 

Edited by ExiledGeordie

We’ll sign a right winger, a striker and a centre back. They’ll all be very good players. 

We might even sign a CM if the opportunity arises, but I imagine Howe was playing Hall there yesterday as he sees him as our cover there should we have an injury crisis.

We’ll probably ship out one or two.

If a purple goes, we’ll replace them.

People need to stop fretting :lol: 

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

What evidence supports this view, though?

The amount of the window already passed, and the number/quality of players being snapped up by other teams.

Off the top of my head, just seen Huijsen going to Bournemouth for 12 odd million. Iheanacho to Sevilla for free. Not saying they're perfect fits for us, but viable options are being snapped up in decent deals. 

Just now, NSG said:

We’ll sign a right winger, a striker and a centre back. They’ll all be very good players. 

We might even sign a CM if the opportunity arises, but I imagine Howe was playing Hall there yesterday as he sees him as our cover there should we have an injury crisis.

We’ll probably ship out one or two.

If a purple goes, we’ll replace them.

People need to stop fretting :lol: 

This is what i hope and at this moment fully believe. 

2 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

It’s 28th July, relax man 😂 You’re also making making wild anssumtpions about how things aren’t going well behind the scenes based on an absolutely nothing. 

I admit, I'm a fretter. One of my many flaws.

I guess I'm just countering the view that all will be perfectly fine and there's 100% certainty of that. I think there are reasons for optimism but also concern.

1 minute ago, southernmag said:

The amount of the window already passed, and the number/quality of players being snapped up by other teams.

Off the top of my head, just seen Huijsen going to Bournemouth for 12 odd million. Iheanacho to Sevilla for free. Not saying they're perfect fits for us, but viable options are being snapped up in decent deals. 

Or maybe we are trying to get exactly who we want in key positions of which we have no idea who exactly Howe et al want and negotiating takes time.

We have improved from last season massively already. Tonali, Joelinton, Barnes, Pope etc. all being available (yes of course injuries could happen again). Add to that players like Hall and Tino who are now more established and Isak hopefully being available for the majority of the season. 

Kelly is a fairly solid signing that will improve our depth and we have over a month to get a couple more in. My guess is that there is money to spend (see Olise bid) but if we sell Almiron as hoped then we want to add that to the cost for a right winger instead of panicking now and getting someone that we maybe don't particularly want further down the line.

Trust the club, they have done nothing since coming in to not warrant the fans trust. We would have probably got CL last year if we had less injuries and they are rightly after quality not quantity this window and that can take time.  

I’m not sure we’ll get everything we ideally want but I’m sure we’ll try our best and make the best signings we feel able.

Not really worried since the fixture list should be lighter and injuries should be less. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

I thought we'd of gone for a quick centre half like. Especially with the way we like to play with our high line. Burn botman and schar arent quick lascelles probably our quickest from the original centrebacks. I know we signed kelly who is nippy and tosin was quick aswell before chelsea hoyed a small fortune at him. just thought we'd keep to the same type of profile. 

13 minutes ago, southernmag said:

I agree that some have gone by that I'd have liked to see at Newcastle, but we've missed out on alleged targets and good prospects in every single transfer window so far. It's never impacted our ability to continually improve the squad, though.

If you'd said "cos we can't sell anyone," I might've agreed, because the majority of our expendables are the wrong side of 30 and/or injury prone. But then I remind myself that we conned Forest out of £50million+ for Shelvey, Wood and Anderson and remind myself that anything's possible. 

15 minutes ago, southernmag said:

We’ll make the right signings. No point signing the wrong players just to get them in early. We signed Isak late in August for example 

10 minutes ago, southernmag said:

There are other explanations than living in LaLa land for someone imagining things are running smoothly with regards to transfers. 
Unless you’re equating ‘running smoothly’ with quickly getting to desired destination. Then obviously, we haven’t got the players in (and out) as quickly as we would all like to. 
If by running smoothly you mean that all the conditions are in place: we know the parameters of what we can spend (with the Rubic’s cube complexity of possible outgoings and fees), we’ve identified our wish lists for a variety of players in a number of positions, we’re enquiring and doing what we can to arrive with the best combination we can acquire, then how do you know? what makes you so certain that things aren’t running smoothly? 
Seems to me that everything may well be clicking ‘process’/running smoothly wise, just the outcomes haven’t occurred yet.
I think the LaLa land description is more appropriate for anyone thinking we are not working flat out to build a better squad. So many good things about last season and so close to being where we want to be as a club, and we missed out due to injuries/lack of squad depth and rub of the green. 
Decision makers at this club are not stupid people, not content with staying in the PL. We will make signings and may well be doing the very best you could expect in order to get what we need.  

42 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I agree that some have gone by that I'd have liked to see at Newcastle, but we've missed out on alleged targets and good prospects in every single transfer window so far. It's never impacted our ability to continually improve the squad, though.

If you'd said "cos we can't sell anyone," I might've agreed, because the majority of our expendables are the wrong side of 30 and/or injury prone. But then I remind myself that we conned Forest out of £50million+ for Shelvey, Wood and Anderson and remind myself that anything's possible. 

Just to make the point I’m not sure we conned Forest out of anything, Wood bagged 15 PL goals for them last season which kept them in the league and Anderson could well turn out to be a solid player at this level 

Edited by Nine