NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

13 minutes ago, Bunk Moreland said:

Circumstances can change, but he has signed a new contract this year and Fiorentina have absolutely no reason to do us a favour. I'm sure we can get him if we want, but I'd be very surprised if it was that cheap.

Ultimately if they need to raise funds though, and the offers coming through are lower than their perceived value, then ultimately, something usually has to give.

Guess we'll find out soon enough. That's if we are even in for him.

Edited by KaKa

2 hours ago, Skeletor said:

Thiaw and Nico Gonzales and the window has done a 180 instantly.

I would be mostly content. But a little underwhelmed. Been spoilt recently. They don’t seem as upsidey as Isak or Tonali.  

But it would suggest we are preparing properly for FFP this summer unlike the last.  Which is a must and a good decision.  

Looking at the commercial team to unlock the £150m+ net spend in future windows again. 

Edited by The College Dropout

Just seen that Keith Downie replied to someone on twitter stating that "The constant message is there isn't a huge amount of money to spend" and that he thinks we will sign two players (RW & CB).

14 minutes ago, Vaj said:

Just seen that Keith Downie replied to someone on twitter stating that "The constant message is there isn't a huge amount of money to spend" and that he thinks we will sign two players (RW & CB).

Of course that will be the outgoing message.

8 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I would be mostly content. But a little underwhelmed. Been spoilt recently. They don’t seem as upsidey as Isak or Tonali.  

But it would suggest we are preparing properly for FFP this summer unlike the last.  Which is a must and a good decision.  

Looking at the commercial team to unlock the £150m+ net spend in future windows again. 

Not sure about any upside to the Tonali transfer so far forgetting the lost season already. He cost 55m which should make him pretty close to being a world class midfielder. which in the few games he did play he certainly wasn't. Jury is very much out so far on his transfer.

2 minutes ago, Away Toon said:

Not sure about any upside to the Tonali transfer so far forgetting the lost season already. He cost 55m which should make him pretty close to being a world class midfielder. which in the few games he did play he certainly wasn't. Jury is very much out so far on his transfer.

Of course the jury is still out but £55m doesn't buy world class anymore, it buys very good players that have the potential to be world class. I think he showed his capabilities in the Villa game and glimpses in some other games. He has trained with the team for over a year now, looks to be in great shape and doesn't have the burden of his addiction hanging over him now, I am confident he will have a great season. 

3 minutes ago, Away Toon said:

I meant on paper Tonali’s ceiling is a world class player. The same is true of Isak. He had that reputation. 

None of the lads we have been linked too recently have the same reputation.  

1 minute ago, Vaj said:

Of course the jury is still out but £55m doesn't buy world class anymore, it buys very good players that have the potential to be world class. I think he showed his capabilities in the Villa game and glimpses in some other games. He has trained with the team for over a year now, looks to be in great shape and doesn't have the burden of his addiction hanging over him now, I am confident he will have a great season. 

£55m should get you a real player though.  A serious player.  At least for a CM.  Only CL clubs or clubs with that ambition spend over £50m on one player. 

West Ham or previous Leicester or Everton’s would do 30s to high 40s. But 50m+ is big big money.  It also comes with like a £7m yearly salary too in most cases. Perhaps a few of the Man U transfers aren’t on that type of money (AWB, Hojlund maybe). 

8 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

£55m should get you a real player though.  A serious player.  At least for a CM.  Only CL clubs or clubs with that ambition spend over £50m on one player. 

West Ham or previous Leicester or Everton’s would do 30s to high 40s. But 50m+ is big big money.  It also comes with like a £7m yearly salary too in most cases. Perhaps a few of the Man U transfers aren’t on that type of money (AWB, Hojlund maybe). 

I was just disagreeing with the world class part, of course at £50M you should be getting a 'real player', but at the same time Chelsea have spent ridiculous money on three central midfielders who you wouldn't say are anywhere near world class (Enzo, Caicedo and Lavia), then you have the likes of Ugarte, Onana, Fred, Keita, Ndombele and Nunes that all went for similar fees over the years which shows that, at times, £50m doesn't get you much. 

Just now, Terrymac1966 said:

What has happened to South American links...surely Bruno knows a player or two for CB or RW

Chelsea bought them all

Started the summer with Kelly so well - can't lie that it's frustrating that we've not made another signing that isn't a GK since then. I think we'll get the 2 major needs in, and I'm hopeful we'll actually get a junior striker in as well, but we know how important getting a good preseason in is. 

I don't really rate Villa's business to date, objectively, but the speed at which they move is annoyingly impressive.

All that said, I'm at the point that I'm really missing watching us play. I still feel we're going to have a class season.

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I reckon about £40-50m net from here. Thiaw and a £30-40m right-winger in, Miggy and one or two minor players out.

I see what you’re saying, I expect to see replacements if genuine squad players are sold, also we need to increase our pool of potential FFP flips so expecting a little more. 

A very pessimistic thought, but how small is the chance that the club can't obtain our RW/CB targets on the top end of our list, so we keep our powder dry until a later window when they are available?