NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

3 minutes ago, Pilko said:

To be clear as well, I've still got faith in the transfer dealings we've done and are doing in a big way, there's barely been a mis-step since the takeover.

It may well be we were backed into a corner by PSR and had to take whatever Forest threw at us. I can swallow that so long as we go into the season with a much better no.2 goalkeeper on the bench than the one sat there on Saturday. 

Feel like my last post was a bit aggressive and in the style of the "OI! EDMONDS! NO" character from Harry Enfield. If we get it sorted out before the window shuts then fair enough. If we don't, my anger stands. :lol:

HOY ! Pilko NO !!

harry-enfield-paul-whitehouse.gif

I get the frustration that we've not made any significant progress in this window, but the amount of people flapping I find very odd. We basically know for certain that the club will attempt to spend the maximum we are allowed to every window, and we know we've tried to make big money signings in the two positions everyone's basically aligned on that we need to, but that hasn't worked out to date. That doesn't equate to failure, its just how it goes. Liverpool supposedly have the best guy in the business in Edwards, they persued Zubemendi, that fell through and doesn't seem they have a backup, plenty other examples as well am sure. 

I'm not saying we shouldn't be ambitious and for sure we need to keep progressing, and I get we live in a world we're literally every fucker has an opinion, and of course their's is the right one, but you'd be very hard pressed to make a valid argument that the club isn't in very good hands. So just let them do there thing and if we end up not making any major signings then so be it, at least if fucking PSR is still in place next Summer we'll be in a much better spot to attack that window aggressively. 

Massive season ahead, I for one have huge hope regardless of who, if anyone, that we bring in!

8 minutes ago, mondonewc said:

I get the frustration that we've not made any significant progress in this window, but the amount of people flapping I find very odd. We basically know for certain that the club will attempt to spend the maximum we are allowed to every window, and we know we've tried to make big money signings in the two positions everyone's basically aligned on that we need to, but that hasn't worked out to date. That doesn't equate to failure, its just how it goes. Liverpool supposedly have the best guy in the business in Edwards, they persued Zubemendi, that fell through and doesn't seem they have a backup, plenty other examples as well am sure. 

I'm not saying we shouldn't be ambitious and for sure we need to keep progressing, and I get we live in a world we're literally every fucker has an opinion, and of course their's is the right one, but you'd be very hard pressed to make a valid argument that the club isn't in very good hands. So just let them do there thing and if we end up not making any major signings then so be it, at least if fucking PSR is still in place next Summer we'll be in a much better spot to attack that window aggressively. 

Massive season ahead, I for one have huge hope regardless of who, if anyone, that we bring in!

This is how I feel and probably helped by having low expectations since early July.

My only frustration, which I'm sure everyone at the club shares tenfold, is our inability to sell anyone. It's really stalling us.

4 hours ago, Zero said:

1. We do have money to spend, around 6-70m. We have spent some on Osula already.

2. If we do have extras, we should have heard some news or rumours re RW already. None. 

3. We won’t have outgoings. We have been trying our best to move players before June and we failed. Why would you think we can suddenly do it now? Just like the Almiron deal, we have to accept close to nothing price if we want to move them. Probably just wages saving, like the Targett loan.

The Guehi deal would be off already then, since we spent £10m on Osula. 

Just now, timeEd32 said:

This is how I feel and probably helped by having low expectations since early July.

My only frustration, which I'm sure everyone at the club shares tenfold, is our inability to sell anyone. It's really stalling us.

It isn’t great, it was something I had hoped Ashworth could solve when he was here, but he wasn’t able to make much progress either.

Hopefully Mitchell will have more luck, but we’re very poor sellers in general.

My knickers remain entirely untwisted. 
we are in fucking dreamland comparatively. 
I am confident that with a fair wind injuries wise we are capable of finishing 5/6th with the current squad although the CL finish was as much based on solid defence as attack so a centre half would be good but not terminal if we don’t. 

8 minutes ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

It isn’t great, it was something I had hoped Ashworth could solve when he was here, but he wasn’t able to make much progress either.

Hopefully Mitchell will have more luck, but we’re very poor sellers in general.

We're poor sellers because we're mostly trying to peddle things no one wants. 

If we want to be sellers I’m sure we can get rid of some brilliant players. 

The fact is a lot of our squad was worthless, or we couldn’t sell them at their peak because we needed them (Wilson, Miggy). 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

Just now, gdm said:

Technically he didn’t 

I know, but it feels like a spin on the transfer that makes it sound like he was just knocking around with nobody wanting him. Which I’m sure wasn’t the case. 

Anyway, doesn’t matter, I wasted fingertip skin typing both of these posts :lol:

13 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

If we want to be sellers I’m sure we can get rid of some brilliant players. 

The fact is a lot of our squad was worthless, or we couldn’t sell them at their peak because we needed them (Wilson, Miggy)

If you wanted to be as critical as possible about our business then this would be the angle. A 31 year old striker coming off an 18 goal season and a 29 year old winger coming off an unprecedented run of goalscoring form. That was the time.

The best teams in all sports tend to consistently move players on at sometimes uncomfortable times. The old adage of better to sell a year too early than a year too late. But this is very difficult to do in practice for all sorts of reasons and always much easier to criticize in hindsight.

6 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

If you wanted to be as critical as possible about our business then this would be the angle. A 31 year old striker coming off an 18 goal season and a 29 year old winger coming off an unprecedented run of goalscoring form. That was the time.

The best teams in all sports tend to consistently move players on at sometimes uncomfortable times. The old adage of better to sell a year too early than a year too late. But this is very difficult to do in practice for all sorts of reasons and always much easier to criticize in hindsight.

Of course, but (as you say) you have to understand the context too. We were coming off the back of a decade and a half of no care for the squad, and only a certain amounts of signings possible. Relegation a real possibility. Therefore you might logically decide that selling your best performing players is a risk you can’t afford to take. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

1 hour ago, Pilko said:

On this, if Vlachodimos isn't deemed as good as Dubravka by the coaching staff/Howe it's an absolute fucking travesty we've brought him in, PSR wrangling or not.

There's plenty of Forest's players we could have got hold of who could have been of use to us, if this geezer is worse than that jug eared tit there's absolutely no point him being here. As it stands we're still a Pope dodgy landing from him desecrating our goalmouth again, despite it being clear since last January that he's nowhere near up to the job.

(insert increasingly speculative high figure around what we supposedly paid for Vlachy, £20bn wasn't it?)

Ruddy I can get over as he's basically a coach and doing the same gig as Gillespie, but if they haven't sorted this out in a positive way come the end of the window it's negligent as fuck for our season's ambitions. Way too big a gamble on Pope's fitness.

I’ve said this before but he’s legitimately not even as good as Gillespie, let alone Dubravka. He’s a really awful keeper.

1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

All we need is one good transfer and it's job well done. The only thing that's particularly annoying is being unable to upgrade Dubravka. 

This is it for me as well. Guehi/alternative or a starting RW comes in, I think most people say that's a very good window. Both and it's a brilliant one. Neither and it goes down as frustrating. We're right on the cusp, it's going to be impossible to truly evaluate it til the deadline passes.

35 minutes ago, Shearergol said:
1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

All we need is one good transfer and it's job well done. The only thing that's particularly annoying is being unable to upgrade Dubravka. 

Being unable to upgrade Miggy is annoying 99% of this forum tbf :lol:

"One good transfer" means either upgrading Miggy or getting a top CB; we can't have too many complaints if it's one or the other as we're essentially not allowed to do both. You could chastise the scouting department for not uncovering a bargain, I suppose, but we're very risk-averse in the transfer market, which I'm on board with. 

We need a CB and a RW, if we only get one then questions should be asked about how we have failed to sufficiently support the manager in upgrading the starting eleven.

People arguing about how hard it is to find a suitable upgrade on players, whilst simultaneously claiming that the current players are so shit that it is impossible to find a buyer for them. I mean, fucking hell.