NUFC Transfer Rumours

I actually think the strategy of going for Guehi, who would be a different kind of signing to what we've done before, is solid. Sometimes it's OK to pay big money to add someone you know is going to be class. 

It's just a shame we didn't get it done quickly and it dragged on publicly for so long. 

5 minutes ago, KaKa said:

However, any kind of rotation due to players being injured or needing a rest and it all gets tricky, when Longstaff comes in and is paired with our current right wingers and Tino.

When's Miley back?

Would love to see him develop and not have to play every minute for months like he did last seasons

It's strange because prior to signing Gordon, nearly all the focus of our attacking play was from the right, Trippier, Miggy, Bruno.

Miggy getting injured, Trippier having a bad spell, and Bruno now playing deeper, and it's all changed.

Would be interested to see if Howe could get those three working together again, especially with the return of Tonali. 

1 minute ago, joeyt said:

When's Miley back?

Would love to see him develop and not have to play every minute for months like he did last seasons

Was a metatarsal I think? So might be a little while.

10 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I actually think the strategy of going for Guehi, who would be a different kind of signing to what we've done before, is solid. Sometimes it's OK to pay big money to add someone you know is going to be class. 

It's just a shame we didn't get it done quickly and it dragged on publicly for so long. 

Kinda. I think we should just go for other options once CP quoted 70m in return. We made a wrong decision at that time. Now probably too late.

1 minute ago, Zero said:

Kinda. I think we should just go for other options once CP quoted 70m in return. We made a wrong decision at that time. Now probably too late.

Yeah maybe, it's very debatable which price is OK and which isn't. 60, 62, 68? I just leave that to the club to judge. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

11 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Yeah, I agree.

But, I just think the timing has to be right. 

If we were set everywhere else in the first team then for sure go for it.

However, I think I'd have liked to split the money between CB and RW at this stage.

Especially with how well we've done getting players at the £35 million price range previously.

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

Yeah, I agree.

But, I just think the timing has to be right. 

If we were set everywhere else in the first team then for sure go for it.

However, I think I'd have liked to split the money between CB and RW at this stage.

Especially with how well we've done getting players at the £35 million price range previously.

True, but we're set 'almost' everywhere else. It's just the RW people are sensitive too because they hate Miggy.

No PL team is perfect. 

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

True, but we're set 'almost' everywhere else. It's just the RW people are sensitive too because they hate Miggy.

No PL team is perfect. 

I don't think people wanting better from that side hate Miggy man :lol:

It's just not giving us great balance going forward, and if Gordon isn't flying it limits us so much.

We've somehow ended up with two players on the right that are not good ball carriers or passers of the ball, which is quite awkward for the team.

3 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I just mean that people think the world will end if we don't sign a RW, so signing a top-level PL defender isn't really getting the reaction it should. 

I agree it's needed. 

If we do this it’s also clear we rate him far higher than most on here. 

Murphy is a good squad player, but unfair and hyperbole to call him shit or worthless (or similar). Think what grates people, is if you had a main winger and Murphy came in for a 3-4 game spell due to injury, you can tolerate his limitations. It’s if he’s starting 9+ games in a row, people will get tired of watching him and become less tolerant unfortunately. 

10 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I just mean that people think the world will end if we don't sign a RW, so signing a top-level PL defender isn't really getting the reaction it should. 

I agree it's needed. 

I really like Guehi so would be very happy with that for sure.

Would love even a speculative loan on the right too, just for something different.

Those tend to open up at the end of the window, and so still hopeful.

By the end of the season, unless there are any changes, these are going to be our 30+ year old outfield players next summer (not including goalkeepers):

Jacob Murphy - 30

Krafth - 31

Almiron - 31

Lascelles - 31

Dan Burn - 33

Wilson - 33

Schär - 33

Trippier - 34

Going to have to fill some of these gaps eventually.

Edited by Erikse

30 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

It's strange because prior to signing Gordon, nearly all the focus of our attacking play was from the right, Trippier, Miggy, Bruno.

Miggy getting injured, Trippier having a bad spell, and Bruno now playing deeper, and it's all changed.

Would be interested to see if Howe could get those three working together again, especially with the return of Tonali. 

That Miggy 1-2 with Bruno, over the top caught so many teams cold. Bruno definitely ups Miggys game on that side.

4 minutes ago, gdm said:

How hard is it to comprehend that the last thing I want to do is criticise the club but this window warrants critisism. I’m not even that bothered about selling Minteh now as we had to but not signing a winger again warrants critisism. End of story. Really shouldn’t have to explain it 3 times like. I could pretend I’m happy with everything like some on here but that’d be false and I’m not false 

Warrants criticism if you don't rate Gordon as an RW. 2 years ago people didn't rate him as a footballer full stop, so I think the criticism is a load of tosh. 

Mitchell likes to do an "audit period" before he makes any changes at a club, which isn't uncommon in executive positions.

I doubt he's had much input in this transfer window, especially as we're chasing pre-existing targets. We probably won't begin to see his influence until January.

I don't think there's any evidence of tension behind the seasons, particularly as we've not diverted course on our transfer strategy.

If we've not signed Guehi or similar though, then it's a massive failure. I'm not going to be a bedwetter and start criticising the club if that happens given the trajectory we've been on for 2 and a half years. 

3 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Warrants criticism if you don't rate Gordon as an RW. 2 years ago people didn't rate him as a footballer full stop, so I think the criticism is a load of tosh. 

Eddie Howe appears reluctant to play Gordon as a RW. If Eddie starts playing Gordon there regularly then fair enough. Until then nah we are stuck with Almiron & Murphy RW. 

genuinely I don’t know, how many times as Howe started Gordon on the RW? 

3 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I don't think Gordon will mind doing the odd shift at RW, but I imagine he prefers the left and wants to play for England there as well at some point. I doubt he'd be happy being switched to the right for long periods of a season.

4 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Mitchell likes to do an "audit period" before he makes any changes at a club, which isn't uncommon in executive positions.

I doubt he's had much input in this transfer window, especially as we're chasing pre-existing targets. We probably won't begin to see his influence until January.

I don't think there's any evidence of tension behind the seasons, particularly as we've not diverted course on our transfer strategy.

I was wondering if this is the case. Shame our local journos are too shit to find out something basic like this for us.

1 minute ago, TRon said:

I don't think Gordon will mind doing the odd shift at RW, but I imagine he prefers the left and wants to play for England there as well at some point. I doubt he'd be happy being switched to the right for long periods of a season.

It’s crazy to me that the solution is play Gordon RW. Gordon would rather not play there and Howe would rather not play him there [emoji38]