NUFC Transfer Rumours

6 minutes ago, madras said:

When we bought Barnes, Gordon was hardly established as our LW. He'd played on the right often at Everton, his first starts for us were on the right, in Europe for the un21s he played up front. He didn't get established on the left until after Barnes came. One of the main reasons we bought him, according to Howe at the time, was Gordon's ability to play right across the line.

He wasn't established as ASM was here, who was actually sold in order to fund/make room for Barnes. Subsequently Gordon has started for the last 12 months on the left (with the exception of one match, Brentford at home) or up front when Isak and Wilson have both been out. Barnes and Gordon have started together on opposing wings only twice, with Murphy who most will agree isn't good enough to be a starter for a club that 'expects to be in Europe', starting ahead of the former once Barnes returned from injury in February. I find it bizarre.

Hopefully from Sunday onwards they both start together.

4 minutes ago, Joelinton7 said:

I really don’t like him saying “keeping the squad together is a success”. Sort of shit Bruce/McLaren/Carver etc would have come out with.

Can't be comparing "it's a success keeping Matty Longstaff,  Jeff Hendrick and ASM" to "it's a success keeping Bruno Guimares, Aleksander Isak and Anthony Gordon". 

3 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

Would you not say it's a success?

I wouldn't say it is. If no one else comes in, we'll have not made an improvement to the first team for 2 consecutive windows, whilst the teams around us have. That's stagnation and will make it even more difficult for us to achieve Europe.

Failure to get Europe and its quite likely those players who we've been able to retain this season will want to move next summer. They're far too good to not want to be competing in the best competitions. And then we'll have regressed, as there's next to no chance we can replace a player like Isak or a character like Bruno.

2 minutes ago, nufcjb said:

Can't be comparing "it's a success keeping Matty Longstaff,  Jeff Hendrick and ASM" to "it's a success keeping Bruno Guimares, Aleksander Isak and Anthony Gordon". 

Maybe, but not sure what happened to post takeover talk of “not a stepping stone” anymore. 

3 minutes ago, Taylor Swift said:

We scored one less goal than Liverpool in the league, we were the 4th best at goal scoring. I don’t get the clamour to upgrade the attack over the defence. 

I can only think back to the time we finished 5th under pardew and keeping it together and expecting results to be the same doesn't always work. Yes we can still at certain parts of the season field a much stronger 11 and have valid options on the bench but our players are a year older, our system adopted is now a year older and has been put into question already. Also will players who played well do so again ie. Gordan already doesn't seem like the player he was last season (I know early days). Meanwhile the pack around that top 8 mix have strengthed so that gap in quality/ability etc is narrowing as you stand still in terms of quality first 11. 

6 minutes ago, Joelinton7 said:

No. It paints us in the light of a club just grateful to be the worms that get fed to the big fish.

I don't understand your viewpoint there at all. Eddie saying that it's a success that we've kept the squad together is 100% factually true, isn't it? Weren't we all worried a few months ago that Bruno, Isak and Gordon could be gone?

So from that point of view it HAS been a success.

Obviously from an incoming POV it hasn't as yet, but that's not what he's saying there is it.

9 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

I wouldn't say it is. If no one else comes in, we'll have not made an improvement to the first team for 2 consecutive windows, whilst the teams around us have. That's stagnation and will make it even more difficult for us to achieve Europe.

Failure to get Europe and its quite likely those players who we've been able to retain this season will want to move next summer. They're far too good to not want to be competing in the best competitions. And then we'll have regressed, as there's next to no chance we can replace a player like Isak or a character like Bruno.

That's not what I'm referring to. I'm referring to whether it's a success or not to keep Bruno, Isak, and Gordon etc together. And of course, that, in isolation IS a success.

20 minutes ago, Taylor Swift said:

We scored one less goal than Liverpool in the league, we were the 4th best at goal scoring. I don’t get the clamour to upgrade the attack over the defence. 

For the umpteenth time. Attacks down the right last season were largely down to trippier. He got 10 assists Almiron got 1. The RW is an issue absolute nonsense to suggest it’s not. 

2 seasons ago we had I believe the 2nd best defence in the league with the same back 4 of trippier, burn, Botman & Schar and last season it was poor. See how t

One season one of the best the following season not so great? So just coz we were so great at scoring goals last season doesn’t mean we will this season and not strengthening an obvious weakness won’t help 

we need a CH & a RW the club identified both positions. The fact we can’t shift Almiron is the only reason we won’t get a winger 

Edited by gdm

4 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

That's not what I'm referring to. I'm referring to whether it's a success or not to keep Bruno, Isak, and Gordon etc together. And of course, that, in isolation IS a success.

In isolation, keeping your best players is always a success. Not augmenting or adding to them whilst your opponents do pales that into near insignificance in the context of us being successful this season.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

5 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

I don't understand your viewpoint there at all. Eddie saying that it's a success that we've kept the squad together is 100% factually true, isn't it? Weren't we all worried a few months ago that Bruno, Isak and Gordon could be gone?

So from that point of view it HAS been a success.

Obviously from an incoming POV it hasn't as yet, but that's not what he's saying there is it.

It’s just shit that we still have to worry about losing our best players and will have to for the foreseeable future. Chelsea sell fucking hotels and no one gives a shit. They change the rules overnight, like seriously, is this all there is?

4 minutes ago, gdm said:

For the umpteenth time. Attacks down the right last season were largely down to trippier. He got 10 assists Almiron got 1. The RW is an issue absolute nonsense to suggest it’s not

2 seasons ago we had I believe the 2nd best defence in the league with the same back 4 of trippier, burn, Botman & Schar and last season it was poor. See how t

One season one of the best the following season not so great? So just coz we were so great at scoring goals last season doesn’t mean we will next season. 

we need a CH & a RW the club identified both positions. The fact we can’t shift Almiron is the only reason we won’t get a winger 

We've scored 50% of our goals this season from the RW position. 

Just now, Joelinton7 said:

It’s just shit that we still have to worry about losing our best players and will have to for the foreseeable future. Chelsea sell fucking hotels and no one gives a shit. They change the rules overnight, like seriously, is this all there is?

I understand that, but why do you feel the need to beat Eddie with that stick? Apart from venting for the sake of venting.

5 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

We've scored 50% of our goals this season from the RW position. 

We’ve kept a clean sheet in 50% of our games this season. Whats your point? 

also calling the keeper giving the ball to Isak inside the box is coming from the RW position a massive stretch like 

Edited by gdm

4 minutes ago, gdm said:

We’ve kept a clean sheet in 50% of our games this season. Whats your point? 

also calling the keeper giving the ball to Isak inside the box is coming from the RW position a massive stretch like 

Wasn't the goal vs Bournemouth from the RW like?

3 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

Wasn't the goal vs Bournemouth from the RW like?

Cross from Barnes on the left was it not ? Again, if we are calling a cross from the left put in at the back post a goal from RW then I’m massively lost . The cross is from the left and Gordon is a half a yard the back post. Not a chance that’s a goal from RW 

Edited by gdm

31 minutes ago, Taylor Swift said:

Which is fine - had we had a quality RW, how many extra points would that have been worth?

43 minutes ago, Taylor Swift said:

A big part of our defensive frailties last season were injuries across the board but crucially the injury to Pope. Not just in the disparity of quality as GKs between Pope and Dubravka but also the effect it had on our defensive play. The number of goals conceded and clean sheets before and after Pope's injury is telling.

Schär is banned for another 2 games plus Botman will be back in November-ish? 10-12 games' time, where we'll hopefully have as options there Burn, Schär, Kelly and Botman. I've wanted a successor to Schär signed also given his age and expected that after last season ended, but we've also needed an upgrade at RW for years now. Going into 2024-25 with Murphy and Almiron as our options there (assuming Howe still doesn’t choose to start Barnes with Gordon on opposite wings) 3 years post takeover is truly baffling.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

47 minutes ago, Deuce said:

There’s no way he’s not doing his best retired Ronaldo impression at this point :lol: 

:lol: I will happily ignore Fat Elvis Ben Arfa plodding down the wing. I will ignore every lost step. The man was magic.