NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

5 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

I’m not at all comfortable with loaning players from Saudi like Neves. I’d see it as cheating and it would justify all the paranoia and conspiracy theories from other fanbases.

I agree. Even if it's not technically against the rules for us to transact with Saudi clubs, we should avoid doing so if at all possible.

5 minutes ago, oldtype said:

I agree. Even if it's not technically against the rules for us to transact with Saudi clubs, we should avoid doing so if at all possible.

My general feeling is that the premier league has done everything it can to stack the cards against us, and will continue to do so. We should take every advantage that we can that is within the rules.

7 minutes ago, healthyaddiction said:

My general feeling is that the premier league has done everything it can to stack the cards against us, and will continue to do so. We should take every advantage that we can that is within the rules.

There is no way whatsoever to make it an arms-length transaction if a Saudi club is involved. The man who owns us could make any of these clubs sell us any player at any price with a single phone call. It will just be a matter of agreeing a fee that is not the product of bona fide negotiation, but rather an attempt by both sides to figure out a number where we could plausibly argue that it's "market value." It is even more fraught with loans, where we could conceivably even get players for free.

I don't really care if it puts us at a competitive disadvantage. We have enough advantages money-wise that we can make do without dipping into the Saudi League well. Plenty of other players out there.

2 minutes ago, oldtype said:

There is no way whatsoever to make it an arms-length transaction if a Saudi club is involved. The man who owns us could make any of these clubs sell us any player at any price with a single phone call. It will just be a matter of agreeing a fee that is not the product of bona fide negotiation, but rather an attempt by both sides to figure out a number where we could plausibly argue that it's "market value." It is even more fraught with loans, where we could conceivably even get players for free.

I don't really care if it puts us at a competitive disadvantage. We have enough advantages money-wise that we can make do without dipping into the Saudi League well. Plenty of other players out there.

You mean like the St Max transfer which most thought was a knock down price to keep everyone else happy ?

8 minutes ago, oldtype said:

We don't have any advantage money wise this January like. We are right on the limit of FFP again. Would imagine will need to be loans. The problem is there's not many clubs wanting to loan decent players mid season

11 minutes ago, madras said:

You mean like the St Max transfer which most thought was a knock down price to keep everyone else happy ?

I don't know if the ASM price was fair or not, all I know is that there's exactly zero chance it was the product of bona fide negotiation.

6 minutes ago, jack j said:

We don't have any advantage money wise this January like. We are right on the limit of FFP again. Would imagine will need to be loans. The problem is there's not many clubs wanting to loan decent players mid season

Not being able to spend silly money for one window is hardly going to doom the club.

8 minutes ago, jack j said:

I can think of four clubs who could be persuaded to loan us a decent player or two…

1 minute ago, oldtype said:

I don't know if the ASM price was fair or not, all I know is that there's exactly zero chance it was the product of bona fide negotiation.

So if others loan from there we should cut our nose off to spite our face. Why ?

7 minutes ago, oldtype said:

Not being able to spend silly money for one window is hardly going to doom the club.

What you on about?

You've just said we've got money advantages. When we quite clearly haven't. We are adhering to ffp like everyone else.

14 minutes ago, madras said:

So if others loan from there we should cut our nose off to spite our face. Why ?

I’m just saying that if the club engages in self-dealing with Saudi clubs on a regular basis it will actively impede my ability to enjoy supporting it. If you don’t care, that’s fine.

I’d just rather not be supporting a club that does that, regardless of whether it’s against the rules or not.

Edited by oldtype

3 minutes ago, oldtype said:

I’m just saying that if the club engages in self-dealing with Saudi clubs on a regular basis it will actively impede my ability to enjoy supporting it. If you don’t care, that’s fine.

I’d just rather not be supporting a club that does that, regardless of whether it’s against the rules or not.

I get where you're coming from, I just think if we are playing by the rules, even when the rules are changed mid-season to deliberately stymie us, then providing we don't take the piss ie pay the going rate and not a free, then all is fair.

Neves has pretty much all the same strengths and weaknesses as Bruno. Together although technically they would be excellent, out of possession both are slow and lack athleticism. I'd like to see us sign and a number 6 and let Bruno off the leash to get forward and cause some havoc which he's shown he can do.

The mods probably need to create a Ruben Neves thread soon rather than later at this rate. It's almost done deal at this point in time. If there aren't any change to the rules or strong resistance from Liverpool and Tottenham, Neves will play at NUFC come this January.

13 minutes ago, aa5773 said:

The mods probably need to create a Ruben Neves thread soon rather than later at this rate. It's almost done deal at this point in time. If there aren't any change to the rules or strong resistance from Liverpool and Tottenham, Neves will play at NUFC come this January.

Really ? You know something we don't? At the minute it seems like media stirring.

4 hours ago, oldtype said:

If we pay the same loan fee and adhere to the same rules that any other Prem clubs would do, then why? Why should Chelsea or Aresnal or Liverpool have the option to loan Neves  or any other player from Saudi and improve their squad but not ourselves if its all above board and proven to be so.

1 hour ago, Mazzy said:

If we pay the same loan fee and adhere to the same rules that any other Prem clubs would do, then why? Why should Chelsea or Aresnal or Liverpool have the option to loan Neves  or any other player from Saudi and improve their squad but not ourselves if its all above board and proven to be so.

The point is that it can never be "above board and proven to be so", because by definition there cannot be a bona fide, arms-length negotiation between our club and a Saudi club.

It is always self-dealing no matter how much the two clubs engineer it to look like it's not.

6 hours ago, madras said:

Unless I’ve missed it, St. Max has been fit all season as well which is pretty annoying considering our current injuries and his record with us :lol:

I don't think we'll see any Saudi loans, it's just too on the nose and repeatedly the owners have shown they're not going to go down that route.  I'm not saying they're above all that, I just think they'll be more subtle about it. I can see a surprising loan, as in a player where you didn't think his club would loan him out, that might have been aided by PIF doing something a bit more hidden to help it through.

Not condoning any of this and it's a shame that this is where football is these days.

1 hour ago, McCormick said:

Unless I’ve missed it, St. Max has been fit all season as well which is pretty annoying considering our current injuries and his record with us :lol:

Staying consistently fit in the Saudi league is a bit different than doing it in our system in the PL tbf. 

2 hours ago, McCormick said:

Probably a bit easier to stay fit in that league tbh